Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harvest diode - Macro shots

Hi there,

Well, first of all, I will tell you that this is probably an usable diode, as I got it out of an old CD-Burner. But I wanted to test it, and take some closeups. The main settup is the same as others, so this might help explain a little bit better where to find the diode. Anyhow, if anybody know anything about this diode, please let me know.

These are some information I read on it:
Samsung
RW 52-23-52
SW252B

And this is also my first time looking at a diode like this, so I might be wrong about some parts. Please let me know if anything is wrong. :)

Heres some pictures!

EDIT: I notice that the border I used didn fit very well with the forum color. But you see the image ^^

First off, a beamshot of my new 50mW (from DX, so probably not 50mW :p) green laser.
beam1js2.jpg

Heres the main head of the CD-Burner. The top part is taken of and turned around, so tha tyou can see whats on it. You also see the optics, and what I belive to be the diode hanging from a thin wire.
all1ce5.jpg

Heres a better view of where the diode was before I removed it.
housing1jm9.jpg

Heres a macro of the diode.
laser1rc6.jpg

Heres a macro of the other thing, I dont really know what it is.
random1jz1.jpg

Macro of the optics.
optics1lt6.jpg

Heres a macro of the lense.
lense1zk0.jpg

And at last, heres the bottom of the diode. It has a lot of connectors. No idea why this has so many.
bottomlaser1ie1.jpg

StrictlyBudget said:
excellent photos! good luck with your build once you get a [highlight]red laser diode[/highlight]. :)

Its a 780-808nm IR diode so don't use it unless you have goggles. ;)

The dot will look weak but it will mess you up.

--hydro15

Thanks for the feedback :) I never thought of using this diode. I just placed an order for the 200mW red laser at DX and some batteries/charger. Really cheap.

And now I will be looking for parts to build a buy-ray laser. I guess the blue lasers are way to expensife for now? (I do not wht to spend houndreds of $ on one, not just yet ^^). Might get the one from the buy/sell, for 40$. Do I need to get aditional heatsinks or anything to use it at 110mW? Or, if I want it to run at 150mW, what do I have to do?

Also, it states anything from 7 to 12V can be used. Doesnt the V change the behaviour of the laser? mW, mA, and so on.... What would be best to use, to get it bright, and last long? (bright is more important. And burning)

EDIT: Oh, and about glasses. I aint got any of those. I do notice that my green laser blinds me quite well when it reflects into something back at me. Is this harmfull for my eyes? I'm talking about the 50mW greenie from DX. Guess I need it for the 110mW Blu-Ray and the 200mW red. There are different glasses for different beams, right? or are there anyone who fits them all?

EDIT2: And how do I know how much mW I can pull out of a diode?

The DX 200 red is a nice little laser. You'll like it.

The voltage will not affect the laser output (as long as voltage is sufficient) as the diode is driven by a current regulator. For blurays, I use 3 x 10440 or 3 x CR2, giving 12v. I use an LM317 driver. You can use a 9v too.

Yes you need goggles for the green laser! DX greens don't usually have an IR filter either. A direct reflection into the eye is hazardous for the eyes. The red needs goggles too, especially for close up burning sessions. Yes, different goggles cover different wavelengths, make sure your goggles are appropriate for the laser you are using. Don't let anyone tell you that sunglasses are good enough.

Output power depends of course on the diode, you could search this site for some of the output power graphs that have been posted over time.

K

Kris.J

Stian, those are really great macro shots - well done!

Would you care to share your camera setup? Body, lens, tripod/no tripod, etc.?

Hi :) Thanks a lot for feedback :)

Well, the camera is, as some of you saw, Nikon D40. I bought it cheap some yeras back, and got it with a standard lense (18-55) and a flash (SB-400). It was sale on that one in norway, and I was lucky to get one cheap enough for me to buy :) Wasnt too much, about 550$, and at that time it would normaly cost about 1000$ including the flash. (as flash is extra equipment, but got it with the cam as a package!). The reason I mention this, is that its a very cheap camera, but it takes good pictures :) Of course, you have to know a little bit, but thats not much.. :p Macro is fun ^^

Well, enough about the buy. Its a Nikon D40, 18-55mm, SB-400 flash. When I just use the standard lense, at max macro, I get shots like the one where you can see the whole housing of the diode and every other part. But then, I bought an macro adapter from DX for 9$ (cheap!!), that does nothing but place the lense 1-5cm away from the house. The effect is a great macro ability. But this need a lot of light, and thats where the flash saves me. Direct it up, and reflect it down.

Handheld taken on my desktop while holding a white sheet over my head ^^

EDIT: About that picture. I dont know what it is :p Looks like your right, but what is a led doing there?

If you like macros, here are some more I took for your viewing. :)

This is an ir reciever I made a while back. A friend of mine is good with electronics, and he basicly told me how we should make these (one each). Very simple, but with this thing I made a program in delphi (programming software I like to use) whick controls my computer, with any remote. :) Just register the signal, and tell it what to do :) Never actually used it, but was fun to make :)

This is the IR-Reciever. Cost is about 5$ :p
ir1wj0.jpg

Heres some closeups of some of the parts. Nothing special, but I think its cool to see macro shots of them. ^^
irclose1ff5.jpg

irclose2ft9.jpg

irledis1.jpg

And heres another beamshot I took. Not the best, but I got the focus at the end of the beam. Or, towards the end at least. :) It cools down fast npw thats its snowing and -5 celsius(or more, havn't checked:p) outside, so I have to hold it in my hand all the time. At this shot it died out durning the capture due to the cold. (shuttertime is about 5 sec).
beamshot1kz4.jpg

And this is my amazing macro setup xD The adapter is the piece on the table. And you see some locks there too, thats because I have another hobby. Lockpicking ^^ Its great fun :) I have too many hobbies. :p
setupxdul2.jpg

And a shot of my laser. Heres its not warmed up, just thought I should take a photo of it :p
laser1xw5.jpg

-

Please let me know if there is anything you want a macro shot of, or any other photos. =)

K

Kris.J

You take great macros!   :)

I have a Canon S5 IS Power Shot, a Canon 430 SpeedLite external flash, with off-camera shoe cord, and a Raynox DCR-250 super macro adapter. A tripod too. I think I take crappy macros, but I should be able to take fantastic ones.

I need to practice my macro shots!

Go try some macro :) Its easy :) If you have enough light on the target, you will be able to focus well enough, and thats the whole trick.. :) As you see, my "setup" is quite easy xD

Hey I've got that camera too. It's about as good as it gets unless you buy a D90. Even the "newer" models after the D40, the D40x and D60, don't compare because they only offer additional useless MPs at the cost of ISO and speeds. It's only $400 now with the lens.

But wow, I need to grab one of those DX macro lenses. That's pretty darn nice.

Yes, the macro adapter is great fun. Note: itæs not a lense. Justa tube. You will need one of your lenses. It fits very nice, just link you fit your lens on the camera. =)

It's good to see other folks who aint all that I WANT MOAR MP!. I tried out the D40 and the canon eos 400D (cant remember). I liked nikon better for 2 things. For my hand, its better to hold. And it gave me better pictures (for my liking) with even less MP. MP sure is great if you do have to zoom really close to a target, but thats about it. Of course, if youv only got 2mp, you will notice a difference :p But you get my point.

Get that macro adapter ;) You will love it! (Remember once more: need good light. Probably an external flash. Or set the camera on a tripod. Havn't tried, as I aint got any tripods :p They sell that too on DX. And battery grips, very cheap compared to original :))