Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harro from the United Kingdom of Great England!

Hey folks!
I s'pose the done thing here is to offer some background, so here I go.

I'm 19 years old, bit of a geek to be honest. I've got something of a mad scientist reputation :eg: on the go since recently when I started designing all sorts of fun stuff, ranging from nigh-undetectable N2O systems :whistle: and electronic clutch systems for cars, through to high current winter starter batteries that fit in your pocket, and eventually on to the (inevitable) high power laser cannon.

I've been interested in computers since I first played Pong - at this age my body had only a limited grasp of which end food was supposed to be expelled from, so videogames are kind of a major part of my childhood.

Some time back I stumbled into the Wickedlasers site, and promptly left. At that time, I had no job and their prices were just a little beyond what a jobless 15 year old can afford. I recently stumbled back into them and started sniffing around. Spotted the Arctic (surprise surprise) and got interested in the potential of burning lasers.

I'm a bit of an outdoorsman some of the time, and a bit of a nutjob the rest of the time, so a high power lazor seems like just my kind of toy :D. I started reading about the Arctic. Inevitably I found out about how difficult they are to get hold of, and how they seem to be slightly under spec. From there I wondered if it was possible to roll my own lazor, so I started googleing and promptly found you guys. I've been lurking for nearly a fortnight now and I'm pretty sure I have a basic grasp on how these things go together. I've got a few questions :confused: but I'll save those for another section.

A nice side effect of my occasional outbursts of outdoorsiness is I'm looking to build a burnie lazor that I can use in place of lighters or matches, while a side effect of my semi-permanent insanity is that I'm after a burnie lazor to decimate all that dare stand in its path. Finally, something my psyche universally agrees on.

Aside from wanting to melt the entire planet with handheld lasers, I'm also into mountain biking, camping, vidjagames, and of course how could I forget my beloved place of work, Halfords :rolleyes:

I think that about covers my introduction :) See you all in the rest of the forum!

Well since nobody else has said it yet, I'll go ahead: Welcome to the forum, - Across the world but I understand your childhood fascinations. :) I think you'll find a lot of 'kindred' here, as far as running the entire geek gamut.

I also know there are a lot of UK folks here, too! With the stuff you've described, yo'ull definitely be able to build your own.

Morgan

First question: Where are you in the UK?

Second question: Where did you learn your pretty reasonable grammar?

Third question: Are you seeking professional help for your conflicting psychological issues?

:D:D:D:D:D:eg:

It has to be said that most UKers, (that stay!), do have the grammar thing going on so I don't want to be unfair to them.

Welcome to LPF! It does seem that the Brit consortium grows more quickly every day. I am pleased with this!

Read all the stickies that you haven't read in the last two weeks and get dismantling your first free DVD drive as soon as you can. They can truly be found everywhere! Got a PC repair shop near you? They'd love to get rid of some just so they don't have to spend the cash on COSHH and WEEE regulation disposal! The diodes may be worthless in the long run but the practice ain't!

Good luck and I hope you stick around...

M
:)

Well, I don't plan on leaving any time soon. I think lasers might be my new EVE Online...

I live down in south west Wales, so a little bit out of the way. Unfortunately being a mostly rural area with next to no demand for computer hardware outside of me and my mates, there's nowhere around that has DVD drives. That said, I think I have a spare drive kicking around somewhere that I can harvest.

In other news, I managed to read 'COSHH' and 'WEEE' as *kosh* and "whee!" when I first looked, and sort of wondered why you were using onomatopoeia to desribe drive disposal... Derp.

As far as my grammar is concerned... I was on these World Wide Internets for a wee while before I encountered AIM and its associated mental decay. Thankfully, by the time I stumbld into that cave of depravity I was in the habit of speaking and typing properly, and even sometimes proofreading what I type (!)

And no. I neither desire nor need any form of mental treatment. My personality is fine as they are.

On the subject of lazors... I'm quite looking forward to the first - hopefully of many - taking shape. I know a machinist so I'm now torn between having him manufacture a host + heatsink etc. or just to get bits online. Odds are online would be cheaper, but there's so much more individuality with a custom made one :thinking:

Then again, individuality can be damned when I'm making a low power red laser just like everyone else has. Custom machined host can wait until I'm putting together 300mW blues.

welcome.gif
to the forum...
Don't forget to read the Newcomers section... the FAQs...
the Stickies and the Forum Rules...

Enjoy your Stay....:cool:

Jerry

Morgan

All good stuff Aranthos and I'm glad your personalities are all fine!

As to hosts vs custom built... It doesn't matter in the early days but styling does come into it later on. There are plenty of parts that will likely satisfy most tastes but new stuff is always a welcome change as long as you post some pics!

Good luck.

M
:)