Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harddrive magnets? Method

Ok here I have a method I thought of after accidentally breaking free a magnet from a harddrive mount. My method is pretty simple and straight forward.

You will need:

Acetone/nailpolish remover. The stronger the better (I used 99.9% pure for this because I got it free)
Razor blade. (I used a utility knife blade but you can use anything.)
A bowl that acetone wont dissolve (Anything that is not plastic will work). (I used a ceramic bowl.)

CAUTION!
I am not responsible if you break your magnets or tear the plating off. This method I would say works 85% of the time and the magnets look great!

Ok so to start you add enough acetone to completely submerge the magnet. You might want to add a little more because it evaporates pretty quick.

Now you want to let it soak for at least 15 minutes if your using 99% acetone. The longer the better. This dissolves that nasty glue they use. I would let it sit for 30+ minutes for 70% or lower.

Now I had some luck on one of my magnets and one was loose enough to pull off with a small amount of force but you want to "carefully" slide and wiggle the blade under the magnet and if the glue is loose enough it should come free. It sometimes takes a bit of force hut it worked for me.

Now if that don't work soak your magnets longer and repeat.

That's it and your done! Enjoy your magnets!

Last edited:

I might have a pile of these you could have to play with... remind me to check my magnet box if I don't PM you tonight or tomorrow. :)

-Trevor

Sounds good! Though I have 2 sets right now that are removed from the mounts.

If you really are willing to part (if you have some) with them then the least I could do is pay for shipping. Ill definitely remind you!

A quick update. I have broken one of the 6 magnets I had but it seems it was already broken. Now one thing I noted is my method may take the nickel plating off on some magnets.

I suppose it isn't a secret or anything so ill edit my op.

I usually just take 2 sets of pliers and bend each side until I can get the magnet out. Sometimes it takes the nickel plating off, sometimes it doesn't.