Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hard-starting argon?

One of my argons, a JDS Uniphase SL 514nm, sometimes doesn't want to start for anything, and other times it starts right up. Tonight, I went to run it a little (I run all my argons for about an hour each every month or two as is recommended) and it simply wouldn't start. It has a controller (you can sort of see it in the pic, it does the same thing as one of those remote controllers that's mounted to the face of the power supply) box that was apparently built by the previous owner (I bought it off Ebay late last year).
I tried to start it both in light and current mode, and it made no difference. So I unplugged the power supply, and tried for a third time, setting it in light mode, and it started right up within a couple of seconds.

Now I have a Spectra Physics argon that's slow to start (you can see it in the background of the pic), it takes at least a minute or more, but it always starts. But this argon either will or won't start...I let it sit there and try to start for a couple of minutes and nothing...no clicking noise either like it's trying to start but can't.

What could cause this? I checked all the cables and none were loose. Does it make any difference whether or not it's in light or current mode when I start it?

cd6.jpg

Plug the PSU directly into the wall rather than a power strip.

My trusty 120V multiline argon once had similar issues. It would try forever to start and finally it clicked on. After about 3-4 hours of running at only 5A of tube current, the power strip self destructed. This was a very expensive power strip rated for 120V/20A (RIIIIIIGHT....). It just couldn't deliver power as quickly as the laser needed it.

I plugged it back into the wall directly and it owuld start on the first try, every time.

I noticed the power strip in your picture. If you are using that to run the lasers, try plugging directly into the wall and see if that solves your problem. :D

Plug the PSU directly into the wall rather than a power strip.

My trusty 120V multiline argon once had similar issues. It would try forever to start and finally it clicked on. After about 3-4 hours of running at only 5A of tube current, the power strip self destructed. This was a very expensive power strip rated for 120V/20A (RIIIIIIGHT....). It just couldn't deliver power as quickly as the laser needed it.

I plugged it back into the wall directly and it owuld start on the first try, every time.

I noticed the power strip in your picture. If you are using that to run the lasers, try plugging directly into the wall and see if that solves your problem. :D

I never thought about the power strip causing something like that...it's just convenient when you've got a bunch of stuff to plug in at one time. I'll try that first and see if it doesn't help.