Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Happy Veteran's Day

daguin

Thank you to all of my sisters and brothers in arms for your service.  I'm glad you made it back safely.

Find a veteran today.  Give him or her a hug, a handshake, or just a smile.  They risked it all so you wouldn't have to.

Jaydogg, Bugsy, Spider,  I still miss you.  :'(

(Especially today, my wish for us all is . . .)

Peace,
dave

my thanks go out to those who serve.

hopefully everyone in Iraq will be able to come home soon.

happy veteran's day.

Niko said:
You can't believe that the army exists to "protect" people, come on...

It does. Humans in general are not a kind race. If we designed a civilization that was entirely peaceful and there was no need for law enforcement and no military, the first thing that would happen would be that a more violent civilization would burn and slaughter and take us over. The military prevents that from happening.

Thank you to all of the brave people serving to protect our country.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=Niko link=1226415335/0#1 date=1226419990]You can't believe that the army exists to "protect" people, come on...

It does.  Humans in general are not a kind race.  If we designed a civilization that was entirely peaceful and there was no need for law enforcement and no military, the first thing that would happen would be that a more violent civilization would burn and slaughter and take us over.  The military prevents that from happening.

Thank you to all of the brave people serving to protect our country.

-Mark
[/quote]

That is just plain wrong, no army should exist. Most people even think that going to war is correct, you can see that everywhere...

I don't think that war is "correct", and I acknowledge that no army should even have to exist. Unfortunately, it does have to exist because the world is full of evil minds and sheep to follow them. We live in such a crude world as to have to use weapons and kill to keep the peace...

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
I don't think that war is "correct", and I acknowledge that no army should even have to exist.  Unfortunately, it does have to exist because the world is full of evil minds and sheep to follow them.  We live in such a crude world as to have to use weapons and kill to keep the peace...

-Mark

There's absolutely no way peace can be achieved with killings.

That was somewhat of a sarcastic statement, but in reality, it is true to some degree. Here's an example: If there was an armed madman who was trying to kill your family, and you had the choice to shoot him or watch your entire family (and then many more victims) die, or shoot him, what would you do? I know I would shoot him to save my family.

That's what I meant, only try to see it on a bigger scale as well. Don't get me wrong, though: I am against wars that are not absolutely necessary. This includes the war we are currently in, although I would not like to hijack this thread with politics.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
That was somewhat of a sarcastic statement, but in reality, it is true to some degree.  Here's an example: If there was an armed madman who was trying to kill your family, and you had the choice to shoot him or watch your entire family (and then many more victims) die, or shoot him, what would you do?  I know I would shoot him to save my family.

That's what I meant, only try to see it on a bigger scale as well.  Don't get me wrong, though: I am against wars that are not absolutely necessary.  This includes the war we are currently in, although I would not like to hijack this thread with politics.

-Mark

I get your point, I agree. In practise it is like that (Yeah, I'd shoot the bastard right between the eyes, then take him to a circus and let clowns eat him).

But well,

algebra calls :(

regardless of my opinion of war... my heart truly goes out to those who served in it.

honor the fallen

In Canada, we observe this as Remembrance Day (formerly Armistice Day)... I learned a long time ago that you don't "celebrate" Remembrance Day, nor do you wish someone a happy one... It's a solemn occasion, and if you do this you get a lot of evil looks since people think you're being disrespectful.

War is a much sadder thing in Canada than it is in the US. We never celebrate war.