Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hand Crank Laser Concept

Hey guys, I'm thinking about building a laser using a handcranked flashlight as the "host". What do you guys think of this idea? Has anyone tried this? Would there be enough crank power to power say, a <200mw laser? I'm very new to building lasers, so please be as noob-friendly as possible lol.

Check this video out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwxM-sjVPY

rhd

Why don't you post links to some of the crank flashlight hosts you're considering. That would be helpful in answering your question.

hey great concept. I like that you already have a video showing how it could work. What battery do you plan on using?
If I may make a suggestion and you might be planning to already but I would color code your wires or at least label them.
I can't wait to see progress + rep.

rhd

I had trouble finding clear information about how much power those generate, but a couple sources suggested around a watt. If that's the case, then you should be able to get 200mW out of a diode with correct driving.

I had trouble finding clear information about how much power those generate, but a couple sources suggested around a watt. If that's the case, then you should be able to get 200mW out of a diode with correct driving.
awsome, thanks for helping me out!

Wouldn't it be possible to just have the crank charge a battery and then just power the LD from the charged battery. Or maybe that goes against the spirit of what you're trying to build?