Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Hallo every one

pfav

Hi guys !
I joined today the forum.

I'm an electronic eng. and I spend my off-work-time building Kites.

After some tests in my office lab, I decide to build a LASER Cutter for spinnaker fabric.

I'm looking for suggestions and warnings ....

Thanks

P.

Last edited:

aryntha

Well, here's the question. The fabric you're cutting would likely be of varying colors, right? That'd effect what kind of laser you'd be using. Also, is it synthetic fabric/plastic/poly based?

qumefox

I think the material would affect absorption more than the dye in it would. But color would still play a small part, yes.

pfav

Hi guys,
thanks and sorry for late answer!

Let me post a photo
The fabric is nylon (40g/m2)

for sure the power density at fiber end is high, but I used a 120mw laser

Attachments

qumefox

If 120mw did that, I imagine using something like a 12x BR diode or one of the 1W 445's would probably cut it fairly efficiently then.

pfav

If 120mw did that, I imagine using something like a 12x BR diode or one of the 1W 445's would probably cut it fairly efficiently then.
I hope!:drool:

The laser source was a LD 1480nm 120mw pigtailed.
I used fiber like a cutter.

Now I bought a 805 nm - 500 mw with a set of acrylic lens for pointer applications.
I have some doubts about spot dimension.

:san:

qumefox

Actually i'm not sure how well 405 or 445 would do after looking at an absorption graph for nylon. Looks like there's a BIG peak somewhere around 1650nm though. Not sure where you'd found an IR source at that frequency though. But a CO2 laser would still probably be the best bet for fast cutting.

pfav

Agree CO2 is the best, but it is expensive !!! (or not?)
I'm looking for something is able to cut nylon at 10mm/s.

I will repeat the test using LD 960nm 150mw pigtailed.

chipdouglas

nylon is a poylymer. and your material doesnt look especially thick. i agree with qumefox... try the 1watt 445nm laser. it should slice through it nice if your focal length is around 3 inches.

michael

Arayan

Warm Welcome to LPF :beer:
Agree CO2 is the best, but it is expensive !!! (or not?)
Absolutely not... for a 20W CO2 laser you could spend approx 500 €, a colored one (20W), green for example takes approx 25.000 € :D

biru

Hello everyone.

This is an old topic, but i'm interested in it because I'm going to build a fabric laser cutter.

After reading all comments in here I think a 2W laser diode will be enough to do it considering I'll need to cut cotton fabric of all type of colours.
Am I right? If so, I saw a "2W 445nm Copper Blue Laser Module W/X-Drive" in which you can choose different lens:

G-2 Standard Barrel
G-2 Extended Barrel
G-2-LFL Standard Barrel
G-2-LFL Extended BArrel

Which of them would be the best option for my purposes?

Thanks.