Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Half Life 2 modding

Hey guys,

I've recently replayed easily one of most legendary games ever, Half Life series...

And I've modded the shit out of them.

Now about the second one, running the Source engine.

I've replaced a lot of models in the game. NPCs, vehicles, and primarily, weapons.

Most were left untouched, however I changed the standard Pistol model into USP Match, (variety of everything online, I prefer to leave the game feeling alone, just enhance the awesomeness a bit).

I changed the Colt Python .357 into Desert Eagle .357, found here:
GameBanana: HL2 Desert Eagle (Skins > Half-Life 2 > Magnum > HL2 Desert Eagle)

Now, I also changed out by myself the name of the weapons in the HUD, damage it does and recieves, ammo capacity in the clip and maximum spare ammo.

What I can't figure out for the life of me, is how does one change the amount of ammunition recieved when picking up weapons' respective ammo boxes.

For example, I changed the Eagle's clip size to 9, via script .txt,
"clip_size" "9"
"default_clip" "9"

Clip size refers to the maximum amount of ammo in the current magazine.
Default clip is amount of ammo you get when you pick up the weapon.

And WHERE does one change the amount of ammo recieved when you pick up the ammo box? As far as I've figured, that number is somehow calculated...

Through modding of weapon's models, animations, sounds and scripts I've seen that number of ammo gotten from ammo boxes (not weapons themselves, dropped by enemies) changes wildly.

Modding the original USP pistol into M9 Beretta resulted in having 20 rounds per ammo box. Fine, no problem. I also changed clip capacity to 15. Was cool. Finished the game, decided to bring new life into it with this mod:
GameBanana: Thanez USP (Skins > Half-Life 2 > Pistol > Thanez USP)

Not even changing the clip capacity from original 15, I am now getting only 12 rounds from ammo boxes, even though the mod only ever changes the model, animation and sounds. No scripts are affected.

I also Googled the SH:)T out of the topic and have only found how to change what I already know how to change.

So, any Source engine modders out there? Halp!

Last edited:

You should mod portal, it is part of half life and should be somewhat compatible.

Uhm, what?

I asked about modding a specific part of a game Half Life 2, not what game should I mod.

Thanks for the bump, though.