Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Gun Discussion

RedCowboy

Target shooting is a lot of fun, and just like operating a laser there are safety rules that everyone must know, such as never allow the business end to be pointed at anything you don't want to shoot no matter if it's loaded or not.

Always know your backstop and treat every gun as if it's loaded at all times.

I find that gun owners look out for each other at the shooting ranges, if I see someone start to drift anywhere other than downrange I will give them a friendly warning, it's only new shooters who do it, most people know gun safety and after a few minutes you can tell who's new and who's not, most people I encounter are very safety conscious as am I.

A friend I went to school with lives 45 minutes away and has some 25 acres of property in a rural county and it's great to be able to set up full diet soda cans and pop them, I buy several cases of cheap Walmart diet soda so there's no sugar mess to draw bugs. Sadly he travels a lot doing power line construction and is not around a lot right now and an unattended WMA sight in range I used to use is closed, paper targets are ok, but chasing reactive targets is a lot more fun and things that pop are awesome.

I really want some property of my own in a county where you can shoot outside, if you live in a urban or suburban area with more than so many people per square mile you have to go to a range, but if you have a safe distance worth of property from adjacent property lines then you can shoot on your own land provided you are in a county where it's not restricted by population density.

Even shooting hardened steel targets are more fun than paper.

This YT couple has a lot of fun.

Last edited:

RedCowboy

Looks like a lot of good info.

I attempted to sign up but they won't allow yahoo or Gmail, I used to have one at safemail, would that be accepted?

Dr_Evil

No idea. Did you think it was easy to navigate and visually appealing? As for signing up, it is a pain in the butt. I had to use another email address to sign up. Then I changed the email address once the account was set up.

RedCowboy

It was easy to navigate, I like the drop down lists from the headers and then the category's, I think that works just fine like tree branches, as for aesthetics I don't dislike any of it.
:beer:

olympus mons

It was easy to navigate, I like the drop down lists from the headers and then the category's, I think that works just fine like tree branches, as for aesthetics I don't dislike any of it.
:beer:

Hey Red,
Im looking into selling a couple lasers to thin my collection out some. I want to buy the Steiner Dbal laser system for my Ar15 Steiner eOptics Laser Devices Dual Beam Aiming Laser Intelligent DBAL-I2 IR Pointer and LED Illuminator 9007 13% OFF Free 2 Day Shipping

Do you have any experience with these lasers and NV? Its a bummer we can only buy the civilian model <5mW 532nm co-aligned 3mW IR laser. Maybe Mr. Trump will change this rule.:yh:

Last edited:

RedCowboy

For night vision hunting the generation of NV you have makes a big difference.

If you want an IR sighting laser you should match it to your NV equipment.
Sorry I can't tell you about model numbers as I have experimented with making my own toys on the cheap from repurposed AV such as the virtual HD goggles and high sensitivity CCD security micro cams, I am geared more towards short range and vision protection from flash, but even at 0.7mw of 850nm as yours has, you can see it pretty well in the less than 200 yard range with gen II NV, the divergence as always is a factor.

Here are a couple videos I found, sorry I don't own that unit, I am saving up for the next price break in a flir type scope that won't emit anything, I think some animals can see the near ir, not sure, but the green would be visible although as I understand it can stun game such as deer and they will stand there rather than run.
Thermal can see through fog/smoke the camouflage of nature and the pitch black of a moonless night, you don't have to emit any area illumination or sighting laser.
Before long we will have a hybrid of both, about the time I drop thousands on a bargain flir, lol.

Here's someone's thor thermal. This farmer is saving his crops from a growing pest problem of dangerous feral hogs.

Not wanting to get off topic, but these feral hogs are a growing problem and they do charge people and dogs, the hogs are tough and have sharp tusk, that's why the hunting dogs wear protective vests.
Check this out, warning it is graphic.

Last edited:

Seoul_lasers

True, but it makes it a lot harder for a person to obtain a firearm, and pricey too. They wouldn't be able to obtain multi-firearms for a spree.

No, actually. What this does is create an instant black market for gun sales. Then criminal element has complete control of the market. This is exactly what the ban is supposed to prevent, but in reality does exactly the opposite.

Edit: Woops I necroposted... :( I didn't see the post date.

Last edited:

Seoul_lasers

Erm, that post was from 2012, I doubt ARG will see it :p

We'll just have to time travel then. :p

Woops.. I totally missed the post date. Necro Posted :can:

tales-from-the-crypt.jpg

olympus mons

@Red
Just got my Strike Eagle Vortex 1-6x with BDR illuminated rectical. Cant wait to go shooting tomorrow.
20161210_155422_zpsn0y6mtpe.jpg

RedCowboy

Very cool, the 6X should be nice for the 100-200 yard shots.
I tested 20/20 at the eye dr. but with my floaters and just getting older I swear I used to be able to hold on the center of the center a lot easier. :)

What size is your objective? You should get some light gain at 1X - 3x , I know 7 x 35 is unity so if your objective is 25mm you should theoretically gain brightness at 4X and under.

I find my illuminated reticle scopes help some at dusk, but drown things out at dark, in daylight they can help you pick up the target but mostly I see some benefit at dusk when the crosshairs bleach out.

Enjoy and keep supporting the sport shooting industry, there's some cool stuff coming. :D

Last edited:

olympus mons

Very cool, the 6X should be nice for the 100-200 yard shots.
I tested 20/20 at the eye dr. but with my floaters and just getting older I swear I used to be able to hold on the center of the center a lot easier. :)

What size is your objective? You should get some light gain at 1X - 3x , I know 7 x 35 is unity so if your objective is 25mm you should theoretically gain brightness at 4X and under.

I find my illuminated reticle scopes help some at dusk, but drown things out at dark, in daylight they can help you pick up the target but mostly I see some benefit at dusk when the crosshairs bleach out.

Enjoy and keep supporting the sport shooting industry, there's some cool stuff coming. :D

I agree about the illumination. I rarely use it unless its dawn or dusk. The etched glass is much more crisp in quality optics. I just zeroed in my Blackout today. Here's my groups at 100 yards. I LOVE this rifle. The upgraded trigger is crisp and like silk. The eye relief even at 6X is very good. I too need to go see the eye doctor. My eyes are not what they used to be. I find it harder these days to focus on the recticle. 23 years of tattooing has taken its toll on the ole peepers.
IMG_20161211_165925_zpsdzrviehi.jpg

20161202_121650_zpsa5ppuhha.jpg

Edited to add.
RC, I get this diagonal pattern pretty consistently. Any thoughts as to why? Breath work or trigger pull I figure.

Last edited:

Gadget

I think this 1911 is just beautiful. And it really fits the "Right to bear" amendment, so I'm just gonna drop this right here. Hope y'all likey!

11721-15326479-1382525075104513-328884873564916270-n.jpg

RedCowboy

@ Olympus Mons, Looks like fun, were you bench rested ? Was that rapid fire?
Keep practicing and try different ammo, I don't have a 300 blackout yet but I can see where it could be good in a pistol length where it won't lose too much velocity or if you wanted to go heavy and use a quiet can, I had a kel-Tec PLR in 223 but it was a very noisy flame thrower and not all that accurate, besides you want to keep 223 above 2400 and going from 16 inch to 7.5 you go from 3100 to 1900 and that's a lot to lose. What's your twist rate and what ammo were you using? I think a lot of people go too heavy in 300, I would want to match 7.62x39 as much as possible, maybe 110gr at 2200fps in a rifle, I have seen those loads listed for sale in 300 but again, I don't know the 300 twist rates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone own one of these DDI 12ga ?

f7d0b9369819ddc283313ddb8aa6919c.jpg

I have looked at the Akdal 1919 as well as that Chinese catamount fury and Tri-Star but they look sketchy, the Molot Vepr's are good but twice the price and there is a 2000 dollar fostech origin 12 that has tested well but this DDI is built on a solid design, uses existing mags and is priced 599, I want to get one, anyone know any reason why not or of anything better?
I demand as close to 100% reliability as possible, reliability is my #1 concern.
Thanks.

>>>>> DDI-12 Shotgun

Last edited: