Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Colorado

Hello LPF! I have been hovering around here for about 4 months, but just joined a few days ago. I have many laser pointers sitting around and just recently recieved a 400mW portable laser from Rayfoss as a gift (not from Rayfoss, from a family member, lol.). Only bad thing is that it is not focusable, lol.

I have always had an interest in lasers ever since I seen my first one in person. I am 31 years old and am in the process of getting my masters in Software Systems Engineering. I am looking forward to getting to the point to where I can do my own builds! I am going to head over to the buy, sell, trade secion, and see what I can find! Looking for a 200mW+ blue/violet focusable laser, so if any of you vets like making custom builds let me know! I am not looking for something for nothing either!

Happing lasing!

Last edited:

Welcome and as seeing you have been here for 4 months i think we don't need to post the how to use the search faq, huray!

That is correct! If I get all jacked-up and slip, be sure to call me on it! Just say "WTF? Use the search!" :crackup:

I think the next time i see a what green laser should i buy post i am going to go crazy.
So please dont be the one to post it...

I think the next time i see a what green laser should i buy post i am going to go crazy.
So please dont be the one to post it...

Don't worry about that. I read that thread even before I signed up, and I will usually hang around and just maybe ask a vet what lasers they own/like. I know! What is up with all those threads?!?! Why can't people just find the one!!!:crackup: Such is life I guess. Rest assured, I will not be starting ANY "what ______ laser should i buy" thread.:beer:

Hi, welcome to the most expensive addiction... akhem, hobby, in your life!

Well, as you already have some members' dream lasers, why don't you start off by making some nice reviews for them?

Make new thread in "Reviews" section, include a lot of pictures and some measurements of your own, like battery current draw (I presume you do not own LPM?)

Looking forward to seeing great things from you!

Hi, welcome to the most expensive addiction... akhem, hobby, in your life!

Well, as you already have some members' dream lasers, why don't you start off by making some nice reviews for them?

Make new thread in "Reviews" section, include a lot of pictures and some measurements of your own, like battery current draw (I presume you do not own LPM?)

Looking forward to seeing great things from you!

I think that I will do just that! I don't have a LPM, but I will be getting one I am sure, lol. I will include some photos, and current draw like you suggested, and of course burning stuff! Even though I have yet to own a focusable laser... :yabbem:

I think that I will do just that! I don't have a LPM, but I will be getting one I am sure, lol. I will include some photos, and current draw like you suggested, and of course burning stuff! Even though I have yet to own a focusable laser... :yabbem:
Don't feel bad for lack of focusability.
400mW green can burn just about anything a focusable red/bluray can.

So no worries there!

Also, if you are still looking for some 200mW BR lasers, well, Doing it yourself is most likely the way you want to go.
If you can use a soldering iron, you are good to go!

for 200mW , you would need to get a GGW diode (actually, the diode from GGW-H20L sled, but commonly reffered to as GGW diode), drive it at 200mA current, and ensure a proper current regulation for it - goes without saying.

Many members here will get you hooked up with premade driver.

Not so hard to build a driver yourself, though.
My suggestion - LM1117 ADJ linear , in current regulation mode.
Can use 2x Li-ion batteries to power it, suitable for installation in 3xAAA flashlights, or Pen style hosts.
Or 1x 18650 hosts, and using 2x 16340 = many hosts will accept both , as this one
DealExtreme: $10.90 C6 DIY Cree LED Flashlight Full Casing/Shell with Driver Pill (2*CR123A/1*18650)

Also, get batteries and charger, proper heatsink made, to have entire thing looking professionaly built.

If any troubles arrise, you can PM me with any questions, instead of opening a thread. In case I might not be able to help, then a thread would be neccessary.

Just trying to keep the boards less crowded with questions already asked & answered.
And helping new members, OFC :D

Heya Cerebral - in Colorado here too, whereabouts? (Maybe PM if you want to?)

Didn't know there were any other LPF folks local!

jooopy

It's all here. Welcome from a Noob too. Greatest group ever.enjoy.