Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from 8,500 feet!

Hi all. I'm Chris, currently working and skiing in Alta, Utah outside of Salt Lake City. I had heard about high powered laser pointers a few years ago but never gave it a second thought. Now that I am doing more back-country skiing it seems like something good to have for signaling purposes, as well as pointing out stars and mountain ranges. My first post here was asking about a good green outdoor laser for cold weather use. Well apparently I have a lot to learn, as green lasers are very temperature sensitive. So in the course of a few days I went from thinking about getting a 50mW green laser to probably getting a custom 500mW blue laser in a waterproof host. I already spend too much money on flashlights so hopefully I can restrain myself from starting a laser collection! This forum seems very knowledgeable, can't wait to learn more.

Grix

Re: Greetings from 2590.8 meter (8500 feet)!

You are right, green lasers are very sensitive to temperature and I kind of doubt you will find one that works perfectly. You'll be better off with diode lasers such as blue or red.

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Welcome! Just so you know, there are green lasers that operate more stable in cold environments, like 520nm diode green lasers that recently popped up. They're much more expensive than regular greens however they're extremely stable.

a nice waterproof host is a must when skiing. I've also used lasers for back country skiing and you should know that snow is a huge enemy to lasers as a large snowflake can effectively block your whole beam and due to the albedo rating of snow most of that light will blast back in your face.

welcome Chris

nice intro thread and good idea- +3 buddy.
we must continue to let the world know that lasers are not just for burning junk and doing the 'stoopid'.

I am working on a item that can save lives and being the easiest to see it will involve a green waterproof laser.
While their issue with working in a cold environment is very valid- I see ways to overcome that- back in the day of Poliroid cameras we had to use a thin aluminum pair of plates and our armpit to 'heat' things up for good development of the pic. So while the cold temp may delay usage there are ways to warm a green laser up and IMO its brighter beam offsets any problems.

-- I will sell a few of these 'rescue me' kits here at LPF to see how well there are liked-
Aside from skiers my list of possible users/needers is large and growing.

I also saw these as a way to change the mindset of any 'laser hater' family or friends who happen to be involved with activities that potentially put them into situations where rescue can happen. My first 'batch' will only be 5 of these. Chris, I will be sure you get a heads-up--

While I don't want to see people get into trouble and need to use my 'kit' it still would be nice to... just once.. read something or see a news cast where handheld lasers are not made to look so terrible.

" Lasers don't do bad things.. ONLY fools with lasers do them "

hakzaw

hello there :D

Welcome To The Forums!

Remember, When Dealing With Laser, ALWAYS WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFETY EYEWEAR!

hello there :D

Welcome To The Forums!

Remember, When Dealing With Laser, ALWAYS WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFETY EYEWEAR!