Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

***Greetings fans of the LM317~

**************EDIT*************
UPDATE

What's up y'all, I think the LM317 is the best voltage regulator because of its availability and user-friendliness. So I am ranking based on convenience, to me.

Anyways, I would like to comment on the fact that you can use just one or more than one LM317 in a circuit. Shouldn't it be obvious that you should only use one LM317 per circuit(this is how "drivers" are portrayed)? The answer is no, because there are multiple factors that play a role in determining the heat produced and the voltage input. The answer I used to think was yes, until i found out** more than one needs to be used.
-------------------------------------------

Last edited:

pGChc.gif

Am I the only one that had a LOT of trouble reading that?

If I'm understanding your question (and I doubt I am), the answer is parallel.

IsaacT

What Cyparagon said....disregarding the reading theory paragraph though...

PARALLEL
If you want to change the resistance by putting resistors in parallel, the key is to:
1. Add the reciprocals of each resistors' value together.
2. Take the reciprocal of the final value.
So if I put two 5 ohm resistors in parallel, I have: 1/5 + 1/5 = 2/5 ; 1/(2/5) = 5/2 = 2.5 ohms.

Therefore, running them in parallel will in THAT CASE give you have the resistance.

SERIES
Running in series on the other hand will simply add together the resistances and that is pretty cut and dry.

SO.....
However, I am not sure what you are asking so I hope something in what I just said helped or made sense. Also, if anybody spots any errors please let me know.

i was just commenting that the LM can act as both a current limiter and a voltage regulator and if you use them both as the same time in the same circuit then you can increase the maximum current without heatsinking a.k.a. makes a more powerful driver smaller

What Cyparagon said....disregarding the reading theory paragraph though...

PARALLEL
If you want to change the resistance by putting resistors in parallel, the key is to:
1. Add the reciprocals of each resistors' value together.
2. Take the reciprocal of the final value.
So if I put two 5 ohm resistors in parallel, I have: 1/5 + 1/5 = 2/5 ; 1/(2/5) = 5/2 = 2.5 ohms.

Therefore, running them in parallel will in THAT CASE give you have the resistance.

SERIES
Running in series on the other hand will simply add together the resistances and that is pretty cut and dry.

SO.....
However, I am not sure what you are asking so I hope something in what I just said helped or made sense. Also, if anybody spots any errors please let me know.

thanks for the input, but did you know that capacitence is the exact opposite from a resistor? it other words, parallel capacitors are added and series capacitors are one divided by the sum of the recipricals o.0

djQUAN

but few of the schematics(this is important) give false information. I am noting that although there are few of them, even the tiniest detail gives a false understanding.

which posts?

should you wire a current limiter in parallel with a voltage regulator

wiring a current regulator in parallel with a voltage regulator sort of cancels out both functions. Negating both regulation functions. You wire different regulation modes in SERIES. If you want to increase current capacity, you parallel two current regulators OR add a SERIES pass transistor to transfer the burden current from the 317 itself.

but did you know that capacitence is the exact opposite from a resistor? it other words, parallel capacitors are added and series capacitors are one divided by the sum of the recipricals o.0

What does that have to do with the discussion?

which posts?

wiring a current regulator in parallel with a voltage regulator sort of cancels out both functions. Negating both regulation functions. You wire different regulation modes in SERIES. If you want to increase current capacity, you parallel two current regulators OR add a SERIES pass transistor to transfer the burden current from the 317 itself.

What does that have to do with the discussion?

wiring a voltage regulator and a current limiter in series do not cancel each other out. voltage is not limited, it is regulated. current is limited and not regulated. so voltage is held in between two values and current is always less than a value. this configuration protects the diode from both voltage and current spikes, whereas if use just two current limiters, the voltage might spike and (although your current is limited) the voltage will still rise taking extra resistance with it into the surroundings. both are viable circuits though

djQUAN

wiring a voltage regulator and a current limiter in series do not cancel each other out. voltage is not limited, it is regulated. current is limited and not regulated. so voltage is held in between two values and current is always less than a value. this configuration protects the diode from both voltage and current spikes, whereas if use just two current limiters, the voltage might spike and (although your current is limited) the voltage will still rise taking extra resistance with it into the surroundings. both are viable circuits though

That's what I just said. I said it should be series because you said parallel and I quoted you for it. Here, let me quote that part again incase you missed it.

I am incurring about multiple ways to wire the LM317 that all achieve the same result. An example would be if you are sending twice the maximum current through the LM317, should you wire two current limiters in parallel or should you wire a current limiter in parallel with a voltage regulator or another component.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have the correct understanding in your head, but you're clearly not able to express it well. What the others have posted here is correct. I mean this with no offence; is English your first language?

If it is:
682248fe4c4df08bcd54ffa206824b05500d1033f0cf40e8386bfdc204ec51a3.jpg

If it isn't then disregard that image and carry on.

IsaacT

I think I might have a seizure. I am not even epileptic lol. How do I kill that gif?

Last edited:

Zeebit

Whoops. I think I should delete it just in case. I seem to be immune to light induced seizures.

IsaacT

It was just hard to look at, thanks for being courteous :) +2.77

Last edited:
FWIW that .gif made me laugh, Zeebit. Aye, I'm not susceptible to seizures either, but one must remember many users are.

Mister Sean, you are mistaken if you believe that two regulators in parallel will dissipate less heat than a single regulator (all else equal).

If a user is susceptible to visually induced seizures, they are already taking a big risk by being on the internet. Things DO sometimes blink and flash on your computer screen, whether you called for it or not.