Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings and Introduction

First off I'd like to commend all the people here for the amazing community. I have never before seen so many helpful individuals all helping friends and strangers alike!

That said, I hope to join in on the fun and knowledge to be found here! I took the advice of many and read the stickies already! While my first laser was a 5mw green laser, I've been looking to either buy or try my hand at making a new one.

I frequently go out hiking and camping and am looking for something that'll shoot to the heavens (or at least outer space!(62miles?))and was hoping all you experts would recommend something good! I've been looking at trying to find what parts I'd need for a 1watt 635 red laser, since a 1w green laser seems to be way out of my price range.

Again it's great to meet you all! :wave:

Welcome to LPF, SFTS! I reckon you should really consider some eye safety gear first pls!

Welcome to the board.

A 100mW green laser will quite clearly point a "dot" on low clouds that is visible as a brighter spot at the end of the beam. My high powered 445 (blue laser) stretches seemingly through the heavens and to the stars on a nice crisp night and imo is a thicker, purer more solid beam - but this is of a power 16x that of my green. On a clear, slightly moist/humid night (which enhances the beam visibility) it really is incredible as the beam appears like a solid colour that just goes on to infinity.

I don't advise shining lasers into the heavens as a matter of course though because pilots can and will report laser sightings. I have only shone my lasers into the sky a handful of times since owning them and it's usually very briefly and with much reluctance. It's irresistible seeing the beams stretch into the sky but it's so risky doing it. The last thing you want is the police at your door to confiscate all those lasers...

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely don't want to cause any trouble for pilots. I only plan on using it on the evenings of my hikes / camping on clear night in places with little to no air traffic. It's a lot of fun when you have company to point out constellations :yh: Thanks for the warm welcome!

Greetings, Stars.

May I recommend a 445nm blue laser, instead of 638nm red for starpointing and general purpose lasing?

Price is going to come off at about the same, but everybody's seen red lasers usually :D Much more wow factor, also better beam specifications (divergence etc). Plus, subjectively, it's a much nicer color.

Note the blue line in my signature :)

I don't advise shining lasers into the heavens as a matter of course though because pilots can and will report laser sightings. I have only shone my lasers into the sky a handful of times since owning them and it's usually very briefly and with much reluctance. It's irresistible seeing the beams stretch into the sky but it's so risky doing it. The last thing you want is the police at your door to confiscate all those lasers...

So true! With a bounty offered to the public and since pilots are mandated to report all laser sightings however oblique, it's rather risky :cryyy: But if one fails to arrest the itch, ensure it's in the dead of night and when no drones are snooping around from above! :whistle:

I've been told that I have to post 20 laser related posts before I'm able to join the buy, sell and trade section and I'm curious as to which section of the forums I should head to in order to post inquiries!

I've been told that I have to post 20 laser related posts before I'm able to join the buy, sell and trade section and I'm curious as to which section of the forums I should head to in order to post inquiries!

There isn't a specific "section" you should post in to achieve 20 posts. Just keep checking for new threads and see if you can contribute to them :)

Quality post are better than quantity post!

ru124t

Welcome to the forum ! I still love my green lasers though the blue I have is insane.