Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

greenie revival maybe ?

J

jamie.91

ok some time ago whilst "getting into" lasers i baught myslef my first laser which was a 5mW greenie from ebay, and with lots of enthusiasm and no knowledge i took it apart to do the "pot mod" but must have fryed it or something? BUT i thaught when a diode dies you get the "LED Effect" but i was getting nothing not even a dimm light, so i thaught it must have been my this litle green board thing that was broke "or put correctly the driver, but like i say at the time i had not got a clue what i was doing" and started to take it apart hoping i could use my green laser diode "i know stupid its an IR diode but like i say i did not know anything about lasers at the time" and use it somewhere else but then learned the error of my ways, BUT recently i have learned that the other diode out of a DVD burner is an IR which could replace my diode so my question is would it work and if so how ? like what driver would i need e.g would the DDL driver work ?

i mean all i have to do is find all the little crystals and arrange them in the order thay went in how hard can it be lmao :D [Sarcasm]

Thanks jamie

nope :( wont work unfortunately.

I believe the diodes in cd burners are around 780nm, but you need exactly 808nm to work with the nd:yvo4/KTP crystals in your green laser.

J

jamie.91

hmmm is there no way it could be an 808 ? and what colour would it make ? could it not work and be greenish lol :D

thanks jamie

jamie.91 said:
hmmm is there no way it could be an 808 ? and what colour would it make ? could it not work and be greenish lol :D

thanks jamie

Nope, cd burners never use 808nm as far as I know. And do you mean what color would it make if you used a 780nm diode instead of an 808? Well, the color would be 'nothing', except the NIR color of 780nm, that is. The crystal set only operates with 808nm light.

J

jamie.91

ahh ok thanks anyways i dont want to buy a senkat one tho because i dont know if all the crystals are intact so i was gonna try them with the random IR one i had lol

btw what could i do with the IR diode ? would it be powerfull enough to put in an Aixi and burn with ?

thanks jamie

jamie.91 said:
ahh ok thanks anyways i dont want to buy a senkat one tho because i dont know if all the crystals are intact so i was gonna try them with the random IR one i had lol

btw what could i do with the IR diode ? would it be powerfull enough to put in an Aixi and burn with ?

thanks jamie

Yeah it will burn stuff. Probably good for around 100 - 150mW. Very dangerous though because it looks dim, but is just as bright as a 100-150mW greenie to your retina!!

J

jamie.91

i know im so scared of IR lasers because when you use a red, green or whatever you know its dangerous lol but when you cant even see it that well it doesnt feel powerfull the sneekey little F****** ;D