Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greenie MORE POWER!!!!!

Kenom

Curious if replacing the laser diode of course 808nm ir in a Greenie laser pointer with a higher power 808mn diode will increase the output power of a standard 5mw laser pointer. For example if you change out the standard Diode in a leadlight 5mw pointer and change it to a 2000mw diode (of course it will fit) will you see an increase in power upwards to 200mw (small duty cycle of course) Has anyone tried this?? I know that the optics and crystals in a greenie are very precisly aligned and by putting a new diode inside the laser is going to make it so that the alignment is going to be off a bit. But for example in the leadlight the diode isn't fitted in it very well anyway so a small amount of tweaking of the diode itself might net you a fair amount of increase in output power.

Everyone is invited to share thoughts, idea's, and nay nays including warnings about IR.

LOL.

I'm looking at making something along the lines of my red dvd laser with a greenie and making it high power. I also know there are a lot of smart guys out there who have great idea's and are very knowledgeable.

Step up and share what's on your mind.

S

SenKat

I'll share ! ;D

You will end up with a smoking pile of goo if you try ! I owuld only attempt this on a leadlight that was already burnt out - with no life left in the diode - but the MCA is of too low a quality to handle the power of 2watts going through it. Sorry, man :-/

one way to look at this project is start with the bigger corporations. If it were simply a matter of putting in a higher powered diode, all the lasers that laserglow, wicked, optotronics, etc.. sell would be over 200 mW.
The fact is that the quality of the crystal assembly largely determines the output. Too small or poorly constructed and it just gets fried. Large enough to handle the input doesn't mean efficiency. To get a real high powered laser you need everything to work well together and have a reasonable efficiency from the crystals. This is where the variability of the individual pointers is seen. Two pointers may have the exact same diode but one puts out 100mW and the other puts out 300mW because of the crystal assembly.

Kenom

Ah well. I am into making piles of smoking goo. However I am not into making piles of smoking goo out of my optics and crystals. So that said, what would be more reasonable for adding to the leadlight to or say the DX 30mw without smoking the optics and crystals? 200mw? 500? 1000? I suppose one can only find out by incrementally increasing the diode into the housing and see when you smoke it!!! LOL. I know that the leadlight is capable of putting out upwards to 150 mw with the only damage to it being the diode not being able to handle the output especially at higher duty cycle. I would like to have a higher power leadlight or dx 30mw at a higher duty cycle. I also understand that by increasing the power of the diode also means I'm going to have to increase the cooling on the laser assembly. That is not a problem and I've already addressed this issue. Keep the info coming. I'm fascinated and learning lots.

S

SenKat

The dx 30 and the leadlight most likely have a 200mw pump diode in it. The alignment of the crystals is a TRICKY business ! I encourage you to have fun - be safe about it, and LEARN ! Then share, of course ! ;D

BobW55

SenKat said:
The dx 30 and the leadlight most likely have a 200mw pump diode in it. The alignment of the crystals is a TRICKY business ! I encourage you to have fun - be safe about it, and LEARN ! Then share, of course ! ;D

Are you saying, ( I wont hold ya to it) that the DX 30mw can be tweaked to pump a little higher output? I am looking at their 30mw as a second unit. Would be nice if I could get it up to maybe 50mw !!

S

SenKat

Yep, and you CAN quote me on it ! They have been modded by some folks here, and on CPF - most likely on Laser Community, too - although nobody there will admit to it ! LOL I have not modded any of my New-wish lasers yet - they seem to be fairly inconsistent as it is, so I would approach it with caution - not sure what the life of the diode would be after tinkering with it....I have seen some pretty "wild" experiences from the new-wish lasers...some of the 30's right outta the box have been well over 75mw without tampering with it !

Bob --

I, for one, WILL admit to it ... I tweeked a DX20 to go 45 mW. Actually two. One only needed a pair of e2 cells.

Mike

T

timelord

Now you boys know why i love my Aries so much (oh shut up Timelord i hear you all say lol) you just don't need to squeeze more than it sez on the tin  ::) Just don't buy lasers from a guy that looks like this  :cool: :cool: [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif] [smiley=smiley_down.gif]

T

timelord

Just when you thought it was all over LOL!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D The image creeps into your mind again LOL!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Kenom

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.!! man that is more hazardous than a laser on the eyes.

Ok. I've got a post on CPF (candlepowerforum) that I've inquired about the guts on the DX30mw or (newwish as it really is) I've got pictures to prove it... anyway. my laser has a filter/beam splitter that has a sensor located behind it with a limiting circuit on the driver. How do I bypass this??? if you want I will post a link to the post but I don't know if that is against the rules to post a post to a different forum. Senkat?? your a modurator what say you??

Kenom

I don't have permission to post links here so I don't know how to put the link here.
Sorry.
Maybe my man SenKat can post the link He's been there.

Kenom

ahhhhh. that explains it. Well that won't take long.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey kenom

if you post the link with a space or something, i can edit your post so that it has the link so others can click on it

for example if the link is

somesite.com/blah/somefile.htm

try putting

some site .com/blah/somefile.htm

then i will fix it for you=)

regards
-avery