Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Military Lasers

Hello everyone,

So I'm new to this laser business, and just had a couple questions about the green lasers that the military uses.

How powerful are they? Greater than 5mW? My friend had a green laser he got from a retired military personnel. It was a black case, and, about the size of a large pen.The dot showed up very bright about 150meters away, and the dot was maybe a centimeter or two wide when pointed 150m away. When he directed it to the edge of a desk just a couple inches away, it was bright enough to make me have to squint just a little.

I am interested in buying one like this, however I have no idea how strong it is.

Could anybody help me?

-thanks

Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

ArRaY

ConvictedFelon said:
Hello everyone,

So I'm new to this laser business, and just had a couple questions about the green lasers that the military uses.

How powerful are they? Greater than 5mW?  My friend had a green laser he got from a retired military personnel. It was a black case, and, about the size of a large pen.The dot showed up very bright about 150meters away, and the dot was maybe a centimeter or two wide when pointed 150m away.  When he directed it to the edge of a desk just a couple inches away, it was bright enough to make me have to squint just a little.

I am interested in buying one like this, however I have no idea how strong it is.

Could anybody help me?

-thanks

I´d be in for one, too. 0.12533333267706945 mrad is like, a very nice number ::) Unless it is focusable.

diachi

ArRaY said:
[quote author=ConvictedFelon link=1226082840/0#0 date=1226082840]Hello everyone,

How powerful are they? Greater than 5mW? My friend had a green laser he got from a retired military personnel. It was a black case, and, about the size of a large pen.The dot showed up very bright about 150meters away, and the dot was maybe a centimeter or two wide when pointed 150m away. When he directed it to the edge of a desk just a couple inches away, it was bright enough to make me have to squint just a little.

Could anybody help me?

-thanks

I´d be in for one, too. 0.12533333267706945 mrad is like, a very nice number ::) Unless it is focusable.
[/quote]

I was thinking that myself ::)

rocketparrotlet said:
Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

I don't really get how a nickname makes you think I'm going to use it for something bad. Honestly, that's just juvenile. It's a nickname.
Also, for your so calling it "powerful laser" it wasn't exactly all that powerful. When I said I had to squint, I meant a lot of light got reflected back.

Anyways, back to the question.

What does 0.12533333267706945 mrad mean? And no it wasn't focusable.

Also, I can't take a picture of it because he no longer lives anywhere near me, and I have trouble contacting him.

Does anybody know the power of a typical military laser pointer?

ConvictedFelon said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226082840/0#2 date=1226090654]Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

I don't really get how a nickname makes you think I'm going to use it for something bad. Honestly, that's just juvenile. It's a nickname.
Also, for your so calling it "powerful laser" it wasn't exactly all that powerful. When I said I had to squint, I meant a lot of light got reflected back.

Also, I can't take a picture of it because he no longer lives anywhere near me, and I have trouble contacting him.

Does anybody know the power of a typical military laser pointer?[/quote]
.8-1.2 mrad is about as good as you can get with a non focusable laser and most lasers the military use is IR for targeting. they use lower powered unfocused greens to flash blind people when they need to. My cousin was issued a 100mW focusable green for just that purpose.

ArRaY

ConvictedFelon said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226082840/0#2 date=1226090654]Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

I don't really get how a nickname makes you think I'm going to use it for something bad.  Honestly, that's just juvenile.  It's a nickname.
Also, for your so calling it "powerful laser" it wasn't exactly all that powerful.  When I said I had to squint, I meant a lot of light got reflected back.

What does 0.12533333267706945 mrad mean?  And no it wasn't focusable.

That is the amount of mm that the laser beam diameter gets bigger per meter.
Usually, this number is in the order of 0.8(rare) to 1.8

ArRaY said:
[quote author=ConvictedFelon link=1226082840/0#5 date=1226161059][quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226082840/0#2 date=1226090654]Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

[/quote]
did I just say that?? :-?

ArRaY

maxkillz said:
[quote author=ArRaY link=1226082840/0#7 date=1226161653][quote author=ConvictedFelon link=1226082840/0#5 date=1226161059][quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226082840/0#2 date=1226090654]Well, I don't think too many members are going to be jumping on the idea of giving info about where to obtain powerful lasers to someone who calls himself "ConvictedFelon"...

-Mark

I don't really get how a nickname makes you think I'm going to use it for something bad.  Honestly, that's just juvenile.  It's a nickname.
Also, for your so calling it "powerful laser" it wasn't exactly all that powerful.  When I said I had to squint, I meant a lot of light got reflected back.

What does 0.12533333267706945 mrad mean?  And no it wasn't focusable.

[/quote]
did I just say that??  :-? [/quote]

Keep cool, look at the time when the posts were submitted. When I started typing my post, yours was not even there.

ArRaY said:
Keep cool, look at the time when the posts were submitted. When I started typing my post, yours was not even there.
:p I don't really care just thought it was funny right after I said something someone else said the same thing

ConvictedFelon said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226082840/0#2 date=1226090654]

-Mark

What does 0.12533333267706945 mrad mean?  
It means that once the beam passes beyond the Rayleigh distance the beam will expand at 0.12533333267706945 tenths millimeters per meter

Does anybody know the power of a typical military laser pointer?
There is no typical number. The only company I'm aware of in the US that make military lasers is http://www.bemeyers.com/ . They are not for sale to individuals and even if they were are far outside the disposable income of most people.

Switch

It means that once the beam passes beyond the Rayleigh distance the beam will expand at 0.12533333267706945 tenths millimeters per meter

huh? :-? I thought it was simply the angle of divergence, in miliradians. :p And thought it was typicaly 1mRad divergence = 1 more milimeter added to the beam dot diameter for each meter. What's rayleigh distance, and how come beyond the rayleigh distance the divergence improoves ten times? :p

ArRaY

Switch said:

huh? :-? I thought it was simply the angle of divergence, in miliradians. :p And thought it was typicaly 1mRad divergence = 1 more milimeter added to the beam dot diameter for each meter. What's rayleigh distance, and how come beyond the rayleigh distance the divergence improoves ten times? :p

Hey ! I was going to ask that ;D Would be nice, though.

ArRaY

Switch said:

huh? :-? I thought it was simply the angle of divergence, in miliradians. :p yes it is And thought it was typicaly 1mRad divergence = 1 more milimeter added to the beam dot diameter for each meter. Right again, but beam divergence can be any number >< than 1mrd. Such a tenths, hundreths, thousandths... any number except 0 divergence. It all depends how much more the beam is expand over its initial diameter
What's rayleigh distance, look this up it's how I found out  and how come beyond the rayleigh distance the divergence improoves ten times? :p Because the beam diameter within the Rayleigh distance only expands the square root of 2x the initial diameter or 1.4 times. The collimating lens is forcing the light to focus at the same rate the wave front wants to expand, however there is a limit after which the beam expands linearly dependent upon the number and focal lengths of the lenses used.