Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Lazer Pointer for Astronomy

I am an avid amateur astronomer and am in need of a new green laser pointer. I have been looking all over the internet and have seen many laser stores but dont really know who to trust and what not. Examples of companies i have been looking at: Tmart, o-like, ekindom, lazerer, and wicked lasers. I am looking for a 100mw to 200mw green laser Im not sure what would be better for astronomical purposes. I want it to be a good quality laser and not emit harmful IR, but my budget is $100-150 the cheaper the better! Can anyone help me find a laser? It has to be able to ship to Michigan USA.

Last edited:

Blord

For astronomy 100mw to 200mw green laser is WAY TOO MUCH. It kills also the night adapted vision you have. You need 5mW-20mW for pointing star.

Last edited:
@Madmacmo that post wasn't that helpful because it didn't recommend any 20-30mw green laser pointers to purchase.

Blord

If you dont mind Blord what 20mw green laser pointer would you recommend?

You need to put links to lasers you want. I don't have time to look at all the companies and searching for a green laser for you.

Also how can i purchase a 100mw green laser if the FDA has regulations on lasers??

Blord

Buy a 5mW green pointer. It has no import restrictions.

This question gets asked a lot.

For just pointing around at stars, 5mW is ok. I like 50mW on a dry, clear night (beam is slightly less visible without humidity. Less than 50mW is usually perfect.

For mounting to a telescope as a guide, 100-200mW is great. It's just visible enough to be seen clearly through a telescope so finding objects is easy.

If you want a high quality 5mW:
The Wicked Lasers Core gets good reviews.
I prefer to shop at Z-bolt.com and Laserglow.com
https://www.laserglow.com/int-handheld.htm#
Premium Green Laser Pointer - Emerald Series

If you want something cheap, I recommend this:
True Green Laser Pen 5mW - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
This one is not as good quality and usually are between 5-30mW, sometimes more.
Other stores like Lazerer, Cajunlasers, O-like, have similar lasers but will probably cost more than DX.

Lasers more powerful than 5mW have import restrictions but hardly anyone has their stuff confiscated. It does happen, though.

If you don't mind spending closer to the upper limit of your budget, I would get this:
X50 Compact Portable >50mW Laser - X-Series - Novalasers Inc.

I've ordered several times from Nova and I haven't been disappointed. Also, they have friendly staff and you can ask them specifically for one with low divergence, stable power output, etc. and they will do their best to meet your needs.
It's been a while so hopefully that hasn't changed.