Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Green Laser to Infrared Laser Conversion

netiks

Does anybody know is it possible to make IR laser if I take out the crystal from green laser
and how strong are IR pump diodes in green lasers how much power of IR miliwatts is needed for Green miliwatts
:wave: THANKS

Last edited:

The 200mW green pen are actually 100-150mW green with a 1 Watt IR diode. So 10-15% of IR is converted into green.

So From 200mw green laser it is possible to make 2Watts IR laser:eg:

Last edited:
The laser will still be functional but you will have a very bad beam spec of the IR. The module is meant for green light, not IR light.

If the laser is with adjustable zoom I think its possible to fix beam with it :drool:
Next project 2W IR Burning pen from 200mw green pen:eg:

Last edited:
You're not gonna get 2W from a pen. Smaller pens have 200mW pumps or less and Big pens have 500mW pumps. You can't get any more from AAAs.

Asides the fact that it's pointless anyway... You ought to just buy the bare IR diode.

Which I don't recommend. IR is...well, hard to see. It's very deceptive in terms of power output; what appears to be a dim red line/dot is actually 2 watts of focused IR power. Very, very, dangerous.

Why are there so many people joining that are new to the hobby that want IR lasers? They are dangerous for reasons previously stated. It can burn your retina's and all you'd see is a dim red light. Not very safe or easy to work with for new people. Start with some PHR or LPC's.

I would never look into the beam or dot on the wall without safety..
I dont use safety glasses at all I use digital camcorder camera to look into the laser light.Goggles are not safe 100% Digital Camcorder is safer because you look only into the lcd screen inside the digital camera.:D

Will you be in the same room as the laser while it is on? If so, you need goggles. It doesn't matter if you use a camera to look at the dot.

No! I use remotely controlled robot to press the button on the laser xaxaaxax :evil:
Of course Im in the same room but I dont thurn on the laser if I dont look through digital camera :wave:

I think you are missing the point of protective goggles...

Chances are that you will never have an accident and suffer eye damage from a direct hit or reflected beam. But accidents do happen.

Have fun and good luck.
smileywitheyepatch.jpg

Last edited:
Of course good luck to you too with your googles :D
as I said googles are not full protection from laser light.
I use my method of protection and you use yours:wave:

Last edited:
netiks, you can do what u want, if u wanna blind yourself, go ahead, we warned you.

Just realized how old this thread is, he is probably already blind so he wouldn't be able to read the post anyway....

Does anybody know is it possible to make IR laser if I take out the crystal from green laser
and how strong are IR pump diodes in green lasers how much power of IR miliwatts is needed for Green miliwatts
:wave: THANKS
For the price you'd buy a 200mW Green laser module for you'd get atleast 2 2W IR diodes.

Back