Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser recommendation...cheap

I want to purchase a green laser for pointing...star, sky and general. Not for burning.

What do you recommend?..
True Green Laser Pen 5mW at DX for $18.59?

As you probably read a lot, I am low on money and cannot spend a lot.

Thanks

Hmm I just noticed the 30mW version by wish for not much more. The 50mW appears to be cheap (made by another company).

I recomend their "true" 30mW version as most people get good ones. Hemlock Mike's cheap 50mW was putting out over 40mW, that's pretty good for $26.00. But if you don't want to take a chance go for the true 30mW version, you will like it.

I suggest 30mw cause 5mw might just a little bit too dim for star pointing (depending if you are in a lighted are like a city or somewhere else).

Thanks, I just noticed this...

"Reported by a number of fellows from our forums, as most China-made green lasers do not come with an IR filter, protective eye wears are required while using this laser. If you are not sure what this means, get the 5mW version which is as safe as regular red lasers."

Now, I know the IR is dangerous because you cannot detect/see it therefore, you do not realize it is hitting you in the eyes.  However, the IR would be in the same path as the green wavelengths, correct?  If so, then you would know when the IR is hitting your eyes because the green (which we can clearly see) would also be hitting your eyes, is this correct?  As long as you are careful and don't hit anyones eyes it is just as safe as a laser with a IR filter, correct?

Sorry if that is worded poorly.  

Also, I am new to lasers but 30mW is not powerful enough to do anything but point, correct?

Thanks

They actually have an IR filter, it's just not very good, but the ir light is not collimated like the green beam because of the way it's made inside the laser. So in short, IR light is scattered a lot more than green, and there is not a lot of IR coming out of the laser at that power, so it shouldn't be an issue if you don't point it into someones eyes.

And with 30mw, with chance you can pop a dark balloon, and with a focusing lens (exemple: a magnifying glass) that makes the dot really small maybe you can make some dark materials smoke.

LarryQ

You are in the same situation I was in..not too long ago...

First off..If someone had come to me then and said "No!!!!..Don't buy that one...save that money and use it to get a GOOD ONE"...I wouldn't have listened..and bought what I wanted....

NOW..Listen to me.....

I bought an Extreme lasers EL-20..(Same exact laser as the DX-20...Newwish MFG)...

I can't say this strongly enough...STOP...put your money DOWN...and save enough to get what you are really after..

A good quality high power Green laser....

I spent 80 sumthing bucks on my EL-20....and was severely disapointed.....
when I think I could have put that 80 bucks toward my new Novalasers X-105....I get a little sick to my stomach...

I made a HUGE mistake.....and I'm sure there are a TON of people that have done the same.

Seriously...wait a while longer...save your pennies....and get what it is that you REALLY want and not a COMPROMISE.

LarryQ

Thanks for the replies.

Question about lasers in general...
Does the wavelength of a certain color laser make it more powerful? i.e. a 100mW green laser has more burning power than a 100mW red laser just because of the wavelength? Is this false and 100mW is the same strength regardless of wavelength?

LarryQ

Power...or visability.....

I only ask because you had originally said you wanted visability over burning.....

Let me answer with this...

I have built 2 Red lasers that (for lack of a meter) should be in the 225-250 Mw range as far a power...

THey Pop Balloons past 10-12 feet EASILY..OUTDOORS.

I have a New Novalasers X105 Greenie....and this thing's power makes me Uneasy....
Uneasy..not afraid...but uneasy...Unless you have ever seen a high power greenie..it's hard to describe....

Sunlight seems DIM....by comparison.....even a reflected light off a wall if stunning!
It deserves respect!!!!

I guess If I were to sum it up....

Yes ..a Mw is a Mw....but the two different wavelengths just have different properties.

I am going to go with the 30mW True one.  Like I originally stated, I am just going to be using this for the beam and pointing.  I was just curious about the power.

On the bottom of the page it says...
"Comparison: About 2 times brighter than the 5mW green laser"
How is it only 2 times brighter than the 5mW

Finally, how much more intense/cool will this be compared to an old red Target 5mW version I bought for $40 years ago?

I have always loved lasers and am fasinated by them, just have been low on money for so long.  Now I am starting to heavily research them and am getting bitten by the bug :) Man I need to find a >16X DVD burner LD...

DKAudio said:
I am going to go with the 30mW True one. Like I originally stated, I am just going to be using this for the beam and pointing. I was just curious about the power.

On the bottom of the page it says...
"Comparison: About 2 times brighter than the 5mW green laser"
How is it only 2 times brighter than the 5mW

Finally, how much more intense/cool will this be compared to an old red Target 5mW version I bought for $40 years ago?

I have always loved lasers and am fasinated by them, just have been low on money for so long. Now I am starting to heavily research them and am getting bitten by the bug :) Man I need to find a >16X DVD burner LD...
Double the visibility of a 5mw is quite more than you probably think, you could see a good difference between the 5mw and the 30mw because i have a 15mw for star pointing and i find it quite brighter than my friend's 5mw in the sky.

And a green 5mw is already a lot brighter than a 5mw red because your eyes see more easily the green wavelength, so your 30mw will blow away your 5mw red ;D

I have been reading around the safety forum and am thinking twice...
I really want this thing but I cannot afford $45 for goggles right now. I realize for star pointing I will be 100% safe and have nothing to worry about. However, I am going to want to use it for pointing as well. If I use this thing in my house and am careful not to hit any mirrors, glass, glossy surfaces, will I be ok? Is it powerful enough that using it on my white walls in a dark room is a no no?

This is making me think twice about building a DVD-RW burning laser as well.

Getting goggles for green and red will put me close to $100, a lot of money for me.

Goggles are a must for close use, like burning things, if you are careful not putting it into mirrors you should be ok, reflection off something glossy loses a lot of power and it wouldn't be too dangerous with a 30mw but is still something you want to avoid. If you want to play with it, get goggles or get lower power, 10-20mw even 5mw would be ok for star pointing.

I didnt think that I would say this but I actually like my dx 30 and I think its a great buy for those who don't want to spend alot of money. I can smoke soft leather and make small marks in it and burn through plastic bags, pop baloons....

Im going to try light a match with a back mark on, I dont think it will work...

Maybe I was lucky and got a really good one or thats just normal. Maybe alot of IR that makes it a good burner?

LaserNoob said:
I didnt think that I would say this but I actually like my dx 30 and I think its a great buy for those who don't want to spend alot of money. I can smoke soft leather and make small marks in it and burn through plastic bags, pop baloons....

Im going to try light a match with a back mark on, I dont think it will work...

Maybe I was lucky and got a really good one or thats just normal. Maybe alot of IR that makes it a good burner?
DX lasers have been tested a couple of times and usually do not output a lot of IR.