Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser light scattering

Had this laser for just over a year, and after it being in my pocket at work it's not firing true anymore. I've no idea why, and I'm after some help to get it back to a single point like it used to be.

Sorry for the bad close up of the light scatter, apparently my phone is no good for editing down to 800x600

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 121

Had this laser for just over a year, and after it being in my pocket at work it's not firing true anymore. I've no idea why, and I'm after some help to get it back to a single point like it used to be.

Sorry for the bad close up of the light scatter, apparently my phone is no good for editing down to 800x600

Looks like a dirty lens to me.

Try unscrewing the top and cleaning the lens with alcohol using either a cotton swab or a fine-tipped (clean!) paintbrush.

Don't press too hard (or you'll scratch the lens), but don't be afraid to apply a bit of pressure either.

Last edited:
Would the alcohol affect the lens if it is a plastic one?

Also, if it is the lens, the dirt would be on the laser side, as I have tried cleaning it a couple of times previously.

Seeing as it is held in place with glue, is there a method to re align it properly after I take it off? Or would it be easier to hit it with compressed air?

Smooth-on I believe still sells can of compressed dry nitrogen gas. A very good way to remove dust.

Last edited:
Considering I work outdoors in excavators, I'm not surprised either. Though it's done pretty ok up until 2 weeks ago, so I thought some confirmation of my suspicion from more knowledgable people would be a step in the right direction.

Would the alcohol affect the lens if it is a plastic one?

Also, if it is the lens, the dirt would be on the laser side, as I have tried cleaning it a couple of times previously.

Seeing as it is held in place with glue, is there a method to re align it properly after I take it off? Or would it be easier to hit it with compressed air?

There should be another lens inside the barrel (the part you can take off).

Try cleaning that, and if that doesn't fix the problem then my only advice is to get a new one. 303 lasers are incredibly cheap, so trying to fix a serious problem just isn't worth it unless it's for learning purposes.

Edit: No, the alcohol shouldn't affect the lens. It will affect the crystal coating however, so if you do decide to take off the primary lens (the one glued to the copper lens mount) make sure you DO NOT TOUCH the monolithic crystal set underneath. :)

Last edited:
Might be worth the learning curve on this one. Living in Australia makes it bloody hard to get good lasers, with our customs laws. Thanks though, I'll give it a crack.