Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser deal extreme 166usd

patrez

Hi pleas ,..help me i have got some guestions

with these laser

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12341

My guestison is ,...Can i BUY BETTER LASER (BEETER OUTPUT mW) about 200USD?

and Can i cahnge in this laser 18650 battery for 2*cr123a ? what voltage i can use?

OR can i Chanege diode to 500 or 700 mW??thank you som mutch this is best forum wich i ever seen

If you take some time and poke around the forum, there are tons of resources that answer your questions (and will help clear up some of your misconceptions) but for now, I'll just start with a few pointers...

#1 - Those DX pointers are never anywhere NEAR 200mW, the average as tested IIRC has generally been betwwen 60-110mW (with the higher numbers being very rare) - and the build quality will NOT support the use of (2) CR123's (that is only useable in VERY rare situations where the RPL-style handhelds are custom ordered with 2.5mW IR diodes, and even then it is a VERY questionable action if you want your laser to live).

#2 - There is no such thing as a green diode, the green wavelength is formed by passing an IR laserbeam through a carefully and meticulously aligned crytal set, which is next to impossible to modify for all but the most patient and experienced of laserists.

#3 - there really are no $200 pointers out there that actually will output 200mW of clean green to my knowledge. The closest you're going to come would be the O-like pointers at www.0-like.com or the budget pointers from Optotronics www.optotronics.com , and then you are in the 100-150mW range - from there you are stepping into a whole other level of module construction, higher-powered pump diode,quality crystal sets, etc and you've just stepped (in some cases, very far) out of that $200 price range.

Sorry if this wasn't very inspirational, but the truth is the truth. You can roll the dice with these Chinese companies all you want but to know what you're getting (and to be sure you get what you want) you have to pay the price, plain and simple. Set your goals at that 150mW point, and you'll get a much nicer, powerful laser for your $200 budget.

Last edited:

patrez

ok and pleas can you write mi ,...model of laser ? and webshop ? thanks,...

Here's the "200mW" that I ended up getting that actually peaks at 144mW and can light red matches at a foot, pops ballons, cuts tape etc:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/200mw-532nm-green-laserl200v1-p-1246.html

I will add though that over the last 6-8 months I have ordered over 8 different "200mW" models from several suppliers (from AAA pointers to 18650 RPL copies) and this was one of the "lucky" ones I recieved - although Emily offers great customer service, they do NOT guarantee their lasers output so you are still taking a chance on getting either a good one or a bad one. To order a pointer that is guaranteed output, you'll spend a little more but IMHO it's well worth it:

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=930

Those are a guaranteed 120mW (which should get you into burning nicely) but have been measured here by forum members as high as 155-160mW, IIRC so no matter what, you will get a functional pointer that performs as advertised. The last resort (which will bust your budget but is a guaranteed deal from a highly reputable supplier) would be this:

http://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=glp-150

You'll note that these look the same as the ones from O-like, and you're right - Optotronics buys them in bulk and then tests and sorts them accordingly to ensure you are getting what you order. IMHO for the $100 difference, go with O-like as Susies pointers are always overspec and half the price of Optotronics (20-30mW isn't that big of a difference in burning ability, and none at all in regards to visibility).

Good Luck!

D

Deleted member 8382

If you want a high output forget about dealextreme, look here on the buy/sell/trade board, O-like...

For 200$ there are waaay better lasers than this one (although I've never seen one, I talk about DX in general).

DX is great for 50mW or less, nothing else.

Edit: Better options:

1.-http://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=glp-150
2.-Ask somone to sell you

As I said in my earlier post, with either DX or QCG you are rolling the dice, they could be (as most are) around 80-90mW, or you could possibly get lucky and get a "good" one.

Just do the smart, consistant thing and buy from O-like, $105 and you'll have a green burner no matter what - if you buy from DX you have a better chance of getting a pointer that won't burn.

D

Deleted member 8382

@brewcitymusic: It's not to crticize, but what makes you think that qualitychinagoods is not a lotery just as any other chinese site? I mean we all know some of the DX lasers come with the real output, as you said:

"with either DX or QCG you are rolling the dice, they could be (as most are) around 80-90mW, or you could possibly get lucky and get a "good" one"

I'm almost sure you just got a "good" unit from them, because if all is like this then it's a bargain.

I repeat, for 200$ go optotronics, they are always overspec so expect 170mW~

patrez

@brewcitymusic: It's not to crticize, but what makes you think that qualitychinagoods is not a lotery just as any other chinese site? I mean we all know some of the DX lasers come with the real output, as you said:

"with either DX or QCG you are rolling the dice, they could be (as most are) around 80-90mW, or you could possibly get lucky and get a "good" one"

I'm almost sure you just got a "good" unit from them, because if all is like this then it's a bargain.

I repeat, for 200$ go optotronics, they are always overspec so expect 170mW~

understand i good? ? you says ,..the mw green laser form DX has got 170 mW?

Sorry - that's why I re-stated the "rolling the dice" thing, I realized that earlier it may have sounded like I was standing behind QCG (which, other than regarding their customer support) I'm not, at least not any more than any other Chinese supplier except Susie...

The odds that I got a "good one" are high, but I still stand firmly behind my recommendation of Susies 120mW at $105 - for double the money, the extra few mW just aren't that big of a difference (and as other reviews have shown, Susies greens are generally as much as 20-30% above spec).

Let's face it, whomever you buy from, there are inherent limitations to these cheap Chinese pen-style lasers - but if this guy is looking for visibility, there really will be no difference to him for the extra $100, and as to burning, they both will easily cover the basics (matches, ballons, tape, etc).

Now if he was looking to invest in a top-of-the-line laser in the 300+mW range with considerations for mrad, divergence, etc, then I'd definitely steer him to Laserglow or Optotronics as long as cost was no issue, then again, he's not.

If he WAS, though, I'd steer him towards a Herc, largest pump diode (2.5w), internal cooling, no duty cycle, adjustable power, external power input, TTL modulation, etc ... :)

D

Deleted member 8382

@patrez: NO, I said the optotronics pen style 150mW+ for 196$ is gonna be over 150mW, so expect 170mW~, wich is the best 200$ usd green laser for me.

@BrewCityMusic: yeah, but he's looking for the best 200$ green portable laser, so under this price I think the optotronics 150mW pen is for sure giving more power than this laser at DX.

@H: You're right, Opto and susie both tend to run 20 over give or take (and DX is always lucky to give you HALF of what you order)... So no matter what, screw DX, spend your money where it's much more wisely spent, I think that's what we are both saying here.

Susie at 20 over would be 140mW, Opto at 20 over would be 170mW, I agree with you on that. I just have a real problem with double the price for 30mW. This guy isn't going to see any difference in visible beam for that 30mW, he's not going to burn faster or better with that 30mW, the hosts aren't going to be any better because one of them puts out an extra 30mW, even the battery life is going to be about the same considering the pointers most likely use the same Pump - he's just going to have spent an extra $100 for nothing more than the knowledge he "might" have an extra 30mW, nothing useable, nothing practical. This guy is an admitted "Newbie", and splitting hairs over something like a 30mW difference in a green pointer that's around 150mW probably isn't his concern as much as lighting matches, etc is.

Gotta remember, Amigo - not everyone is obsessed with that mW "Drag Race" like some of us, they're just looking to save some $$ and not get screwed doing it. We've both been doing this long enough to know that either way, it's still a low-buck Chinese pointer, whether Jack tests it to meet his minimum or whether Susie tests it to meet hers, the end result IMHO is they are BOTH the same quality product for what they are, and is it worth $100 for 30mW when those mW won't make ANY difference except to an LPM...Not to me.

Let's just both make it clear to this guy, though - screw DX :)

I know it's not green but I picked up the 180-200mW Red laser from O-Like (http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=926). Still waiting for it to arrive but I hear nothing but good things about this product and this vendor so I'm not concerned.

Perhaps if I may suggest from one newbie to another that instead of spending $200USD on a green burner, start out with a $47.00 (shipped!) Red burner and move up from there. For one, if you get bored with your green laser, you are out $200. If I got bored with mine (not bloody likely), I'm out $47.00. Mine will burn just as well as a 100mW greeny if not better, and I have more mW (power) for less money.

Now, one thing you 100% MUST HAVE, DO NOT USE YOUR LASER WITHOUT, is a set of eye safety protection glasses designed for the wavelength of the laser you are using. If you are going to spend ANY money on a laser as a newbie, BUDGET FOR EYE PROTECTION! A simple mistake like shining the laser and hitting something reflective is not something you want to have happen with any laser, let alone a burning laser. You only have two eyes and they don't recover from stray laser burns.

My thought on this is, how much money would you pay to keep your eyesight? How much is your eyesight worth to you? If you are like me, it's very very very important and worth protecting. If you spend $200 on a laser and no eye protection you take the risk of damaging your eyes every time you use the laser (accidents happen). If you spend $100 on a laser and $100 on glasses, at least you are protecting a very important part of your body from damage and you have a nice 'starting' burner.

Think of it this way. If you were playing baseball and spent all your money on the best bat you could get, that's cool and all but the first time the pitcher throws an inside, high curve and that baseball is screaming straight towards your exposed, unprotected head, you will wish you had bought a helmet. Same thing can happen with a laser.

We all think "Meh, if I'm careful nothing will happen" but accidents do happen (otherwise they wouldn't be accidents). Be smart and protect your eyes.

I'm surprised the older members didn't suggest this to an obvious newbie. Not that I'm bad-mouthing them, but I would think we would want to really push safety, especially for someone who sounds like they do not have safety in mind and just want a burner.

Last edited: