Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great host found! Richuang RC-7001 (DX $3)

Rafa

DealExtreme: $2.90 Richuang RC-7001 30-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*AAA)

That one!

I bought it some time ago and it was collecting dust somewhere lost in my room.
I found it today, and I had a spare 16X to put on it so... there is it! I found
that it is a great host even though it was pure bullshit.

The Aixiz just fits in with one or two hammer hits, and best of all.... well I'm
sure a lot of you won't like this but anyway, I used the driver that came with
the host. Fuck yeah! It didn't fried the diode with one 10440 Li-Ion battery.
It draws 420mA from the battery so it shouldn't be much efficient. I think it's
putting out arroun 130mW with the default Aixiz plastic lens.
I think that for $3 this thing is purely badass. You just have to replace the
LED board, with a Aixiz + 16X, hit it twice with a hammer and there you have
one nice laser!

Now here you have some pictures. I can take some beamshots if you want,
too.

dscf1950.jpg

dscf1952c.jpg

dscf1955.jpg

dscf1957.jpg

dscf1959.jpg

dscf1960.jpg

dscf1963c.jpg

Hope you like it!:wave:

Blord

Nice one :gj:

Nothing wrong using the existing driver. I do it all the time.

Great project for those first-timers afraid to mess up and expensive diode-driver or host. Good confidence builder!! Computer Repair shops almost give away drives with 16X in them. +rep for the thread-share.

ps you might want to avoid touching your finger to your hot iron---again!!!!

Rafa

Oh yeah!! Right now I have 5 fingers burned! If you look at my middle finger there is
another one. But I didn't touch the iron, I touched the Zippo wheel.... (the one in the
middle finger has the shape of it LOL) yeah, five times. I seem to be pretty stupid
:crackup:

And yeah, I sometimes go to computer shops to collect their crap. They sometimes
have some DVD drives, cool! PSU's are good for the heatsinks for TO-220 and similar
ICs and I also take CPU heatsinks.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

dyeote

I built this laser two days ago with a DVD LCC; it's performing very nicely! A BIG thanks to the OP. :D
A question: I measured the current just now with my DMM (I put my DMM in series, replacing the tail-cap, from body to the battery's minus) and it registered 0.70 Amp ! :thinking: This can't be right, what am I doing wrong?

apropos nothing: I originally had this long long introduction of myself and what I've done in DIY lasers so far prepared for my first post on LPF but I figured it can wait, a first post doesn't need to be "special" :)
So for now: Hi everybody! I'm Daniel, I like building things myself, I wish I had a lathe (and a place to put it), I always have loads of questions, I am a physicist and I'm building my first PHR laser right now. I have LOCs to spare (naturally) and I WTB some diodes in other colours (635, 445, BR burner's 405; is there anything else under $50 ?). Also eager to hear about other neat solutions for heatsinking an Aixiz module in a host when I don't have metalworking tools readily available.

Attachments

• RC-7001 LCC.jpg
    RC-7001 LCC.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 356

Hiemal

If someone could take a decent picture of the driver itself, I could tell you what type it is.

I'm almost sure it's a boost driver, but I'd like to be positive. :D

I just realized this is a necro post, too. But, it's not a useless one! :)

Last edited:

dyeote

sorry, can't take this one apart (it'll almost for sure shear the leads); I ordered another flashlight ($3, whatta-deal for a functional host! :D) and I'll take a pic of the driver when it arrives.
But you're right, it'd have to be a boost drive because the flashlight originally runs on one AAA (1.5V) and the threshold voltage for the LED can't be under 2V.
Anyway, I'm still confused; 700mA (which would dump about two Watts over the LCC's Vd) should have blown this diode in a second (as of this time it's still lasing happily :D)

Last edited:

dyeote

doh! I just realized the source of my confusion: the driver is boosting the voltage, plus it has its own losses, so obviously the current at the tail-cap (which is what the driver is taking), is much higher than what goes through the diode. :oops:

Hooray for learning :)