Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

got my sf-aw210 up and running

i got my sled in the mail today and go it up and going, i'm running it at 200mA, i don't see much of a difference in beam brightness under fog than the phr builds......but when it comes to burning power, there is a BIG difference......this things rips through white paper like it's nothing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrgkkMFJEYs

the first laser on the video is the phr at 139mA

then the second is the sf-aw210 diode at 200mA

Attachments

• sf-aw210.wmv
    4.8 MB · Views: 80

Mohr --- If your diode is like mine, you should be getting ~280 mW if using a JayRob 405G1 lens.
Yes they burn and it can be hard to adjust the focus while it's on ;D
OWCH...

Mike

The wavelength on these seem to be a bit shorter than the phr diodes. Mine look like a much more pale violet in comparison to the phr. They look dimmer and yet are much stronger.

jake21 said:
so how do u like them  Mohrenberg

not sure yet......

after first i could see it flicker a tiny after about 15 seconds run time.....seems to be doing ok now though....

i'll prob jsut play with it for a few days and see if it does ok at this current...

although i can light matches no problem from 12 feet away

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
Mohr --- If your diode is like mine, you should be getting ~280 mW[highlight] if using a JayRob 405G1 lens.  [/highlight]
Yes they burn and it can be hard to adjust the focus while it's on  ;D
OWCH...

Mike

Hey thanks for that 'plug' Mike! :)

Glass is a 'must have' for anything over 200mW's with blu-ray. (because acrylic will degrade) Check out these beam shot comparisons!

6X vs 8X. Both using my 405-G-1 glass lens modification...

(Beam shot comparisons with smoke)
BDR beam1.jpg

BDR beam3.jpg

SCHWEET! :D
Jay

jayrob

Mohrenberg said:
i can't bring myself to pay $60 for a lens though......

That's the one draw back...

The cost. But for the high power blu-ray's that we are getting into, you have to have glass. (because acrylic will degrade) One thing that is worth mentioning, is that the lens will last a lifetime! :)

There is someone else that has basically copied my idea of mounting these into an AixiZ nut, and is selling them for a little less. But his is mounted in the threaded retaining ring area of the nut and glued in. Not the best mount for the lens. (IMO) The lens fits loose in that area.

My modification takes more work, but is mounted perfectly aligned, and held in place with a fitted sleeve/retainer...

* Drill out the aperture larger.
* Then drill larger to fit the 405-G-1 glass lens on a tiny 'lip'.
* Make a custom spacer/retainer to retain the lens in place. (fit to the outside mounting 'rim' of the lens)
* Then clean the lens with a micro fiber cloth and assemble it, and include a 'finger grip' focus ring as well.

/threadjack

Anyway, I'm glad to see that most are getting the higher power diodes out of these sleds, because I just ordered a couple from jake21!
Jay

I hear ya Moren. I would love a glass lens or 50 but the price is towering way too high for me to even consider them. I could only bring myself to pay $20 tops for a lens.

jake21

if any one needs a sf-aw210 diode pm me only few left that i can order at this price 20.00 plus shipping

i could do it....but the cost would be absorbed into the price of my pointers......and thats almost doubling them!

maybe if they were get down to around $30 or $40 i'll start using them.

jake21

that would be a nice price but the lens cost around $29-35 plus the glass lens around $5-7 alone.. not including spacer and time lol

jake21 said:
that would be a nice price but the lens cost around $29-35 plus the glass lens around $5-7 alone.. not including spacer and time lol

give it time.......

yea there is no way I can afford a glass lens either, but I don't want to use acrylic :-/ can you use the normal Aixiz glass lens, or is it worse than acrylic?

jayrob

AixiZ acrylic is still the best 'bang for the buck'...

The problem is, when you get over 200mW's with blu-ray. The the acrylic lenses will not hold up.

I did a bunch of power comparisons with both red and blu-ray using all of the readily available lenses. Here are my results:

Note: All comparisons to AixiZ acrylic is with the 'back opened'.
Meter: Coherent PowerMax 5200 with PM3 thermal head.

Comparisons: Including AixiZ glass:
Compared to AixiZ acrylic, I get only 4 to 5% more with AixiZ glass for red. AixiZ glass has 3 elements. This is why it has less gain than the other 'single element' glass lenses, even though it is AR coated for red. Plus, AixiZ glass in not as 'short focus' in design.

Comparisons: (red open can)
AixiZ acrylic vs AixiZ glass - Gain 4 to 5%
AixiZ acrylic vs AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village - Gain 10%
AixiZ acrylic vs Meredith acrylic - No gain, or very minimal gain
AixiZ acrylic vs Meredith glass - Gain about 20%
AixiZ acrylic vs 405-G-1 glass lens - Gain about 15%
(New broad band glass lens from Meredith - Not as good as their original 'optimized for red' glass lens with red)

Comparisons: (blu-ray)
AixiZ acrylic vs 405-G-1 glass - Gain 26 to 28%
Meredith glass vs 405-G-1 glass - Gain 18%
(for blu-ray, AixiZ glass and Meredith acrylic are both less power than AixiZ acrylic)
(New broad band glass lens from Meredith - Not as good as my 405-G-1 glass lens with blu-ray)

Choose your poison!
Jay

P.S. For Meredith, there are two different glass lenses available now. I have tried both of them. I use the best one for red with my Meredith glass fit for AixiZ mod. Their new 405 coated lens is a broad band coating that is decent for both red and blu-ray. But not as good as the 405-G-1 glass lens for blu-ray, and not as good as their original 'optimized for red' lens that I am using for my Meredith/AixiZ mod for red.