Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got my 175mw laserglow Aries

It is indeed nice not to struggle with burning things now!...
No pain no strain!!!!

I can light a match just by passing it though its beam.. it appears at least twice.... maybe 3 times brighter than my 135mw pen laser.

The red drinking glass that would only punch holes with my pen laser, the Aries will "cut" holes!.. any size you want!.. just do a circular pattern!

It makes my other one look dim when side by side at night......

my Nimh batteries would't fit into it however... they are 1/16 inch too long.. so times two.. that makes 1/8 inch too long.
I ordered some more.. I hope they fit.

Anyone know a good solution for doing away with the key or at least keeping up with it?

Good to hear your happy with it.
I ordered mine on the 3rd with a power graph. I believe it has made it through Aussie customs and on it's way to the delivery office so hopefully I'll have mine in a day or 2.
Thanks for the heads up on the battery length problem. I'll take the Aries to the battery shop and check for length before I buy them.

Unless you want to see what I mean with a set of regular ones first, you will need to have the batteries be able to become "flush" with the end when pressing against the spring pressure. Its ok if the tips of the battery extends beyond that, but the edges must be flush.
I can send a pic if you don't know what I mean...I think if you stick in a set of regular batteries first and press them in "without the cap on" with your fingers you will see what I mean.

What power did you choose?

this is quite intoxicating!.... this unit with its 1.2W diode is literally 3 times brighter than my pen laser..... it makes me wonder what the Hercs are like with thier 2.0 diode!

I thought my other one was pretty cool till I fire this one up next to it.... there's a bitter sweet feeling......

no need for pics. I understand what you mean. As long as the body of the batts don't protrude from the laser casing it will be fine. right?

I ordered the 175mw. I was going to get the 150 but the temptation of upgrading to the 175 was too much. having said that, with freight and tax and exchange rate it will end up near $1000 Aussie. So it will be my last laser for a while.

I'm sure when I fire the Aries up against the little modded 5mw I will be equally impressed.

S

SenKat

Truncheon said:
no need for pics. I understand what you mean. As long as the body of the batts don't protrude from the laser casing it will be fine. right?

I ordered the 175mw. I was going to get the 150 but the temptation of upgrading to the 175 was too much. having said that, with freight and tax and exchange rate it will end up near $1000 Aussie. So it will be my last laser for a while.

I'm sure when I fire the Aries up against the little modded 5mw I will be equally impressed.

I tell you what - if you AREN'T impressed....well, I don't know what to tell you ! I am sooooo jealous, I can hardly type ;D I am happy for both of you - now, post lots of pictures of that badass doing some dammage for us - I wanna get more jealous !!!!! :cool:

Truncheon said:

You'll be impressed alright.. I thought my pen laser was pretty hot stuff.. but this thing smokes almost everything I hit with it....
I knew when I was talking to him over the phone and he lit incense with it.. It must be pretty good.. that stuff is hard to light with a match! LOL!

I found a little shop nearby where I can buy 75 party balloons for under 5 bucks.. I can't wait to play and see how many I can toast in a row.

dang.. I've getting by without glasses until now.. I think I may have to get some.. its just too hard to squint enough to see what I"m doing up close.

well I was playing around with it tonight.. I turned it on and layed it on the table outside in the dark.
The beam appears very tight until about 10 feet or so where it starts getting wider.

I did some test burning simple red box matches. My 135mw pen laser would not burn one even at point blank.
But the 175mw laserglow had no prob.
I could not seem to get one to ignite at 10 feet.. although it will pop balloons at that distance.
But I got several to light at 7 feet... Just hold it still and hit the tip.
If you are within 2 feet, all you have to do is pass the match through the beam and "poof" it ignites!

Hi Widstrings,
I posted here as this thread is closer to the top and more likely to be read by you.
When you were talking of shutdown time, this does not apply to the Optotronics PPL model, only the RPL has the diode protection circuit, the PPL has 100% duty cycle and does not have a protection circuit.
The RPL as it is right now, will shutdown after 2-3 minutes at the 300mW output level.

Thanks
Jack

Ah.. good to know.. it sounds like they actually put a shutdown circuit in place on the RPL whereas the PPL does not...
Why are the RPL's not available without a shutdown circuit? Do they generate that much more heat from the larger diode thats literally twice the size?.. thats the only real difference I see between them and the PPL's. I know LiIons can make heat too if used rapidly, but I wouldn't guess thats the real issue here?

*Doesn't some customers need continuous duty and want the larger powers?
I wonder why they opted not to use a fan to have continuous duty?.. or at lease have that as an option... seems it would really open up more market.

*My angle was.. if its gonna shut down that fast... I didn't see benifit of putting up with the much larger size rather than just sticking with a pen model.

The pen models are "very" popular..... there needs to be a good reason why to put up with the larger housing, otherwise most customers will turn to the smaller units even if they cost more...

*Another issue I had... if the batteries on the RPL has to be removed to charge, then again, there is not much benifit from having LiIon verses the cheaper models that have more runtime whereas you can also just use NiMh?
The LiIon unit should have a plug in port so as you don't have to remove the batteries.

I'm really not trying to be negative because I think its a great product, but those little issues is what confused me.
When a person is spending 4 times more than his budjet really allows "most customers" they want to be swept off thier feet in order to make the sacrific worth it.

Windstrings,

I was reading this thread, but I thought you know you bought a 300 Hercules. I cant find the thread where you mentioned you bought it. Did you buy the 175 Aries also?

Neo

neocacher said:
Windstrings,

I was reading this thread, but I thought you know you bought a 300 Hercules. I cant find the thread where you mentioned you bought it. Did you buy the 175 Aries also?

Neo

I bought it first and liked the difference so much.. traded up to the 300mw!!!

S

SenKat

neocacher said:
How long did you have it? Did you return it for full credit?

Neo

Windstrings and I came to a mutually agreeable price, and I bought it from him ! I couldn't say no to it...tooo awesome a laser to turn down !

Ok. cool. I didnt mean to pry or be snoopy, thought he returned it to Laserglow! Yes, they are both quite the ticket! I am jealous of you both!

Neo

S

SenKat

neocacher said:
Ok. cool. I didnt mean to pry or be snoopy, thought he returned it to Laserglow!  Yes, they are both quite the  ticket!  I am jealous of you both!

Neo

Naw - you weren't prying !  Heck - if I thought you were, I woulda never answered your post !  ;D It just happened at the perfect time for both of us - he wanted to upgrade, and I wanted his laser ! :cool:

Well, when he upgrades his Herc to 400 and YOU buy his old Herc, let me know what you want for the Aries! He has had it almost 3 weeks already!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Neo