Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got most of the parts ready for DIY laser

C

Chris.

Hey all! I've been 'watching' ::) this forum for the last few months, during which time I destroyed an 18x open can and probably damaged my vision somewhat with IR!

Anyway, I've stopped wasting money now : D and decided to do this properly.
I've got a 8x closed can diode which is in an electrostatically protected bag and was tested working using a lab power supply at my school and a few resistors.(It's really nice and bright)
Just today my Aixiz 5mw arrived and gives a nice clean & collimated beam (Unlike my ebayser~70mW with lots of IR)
I've just a couple of questions:

-Having looked at the post by [forgot] for the driver with the 6v input, I have all the components except the LM317.
Is there a device from which this may be salvaged or a similar voltage regulator which I might have lying around?

-I emailed Charles(from Aixiz) about how much current I should put into the module I received and he said 'It automatically controls the current. Should draw about 30mA' does this mean that the module contains some circuitry which may be reused?
What current would you recommend I initially put into the 8x dvd diode?
What output would be expected from an 8x?
I heard something about black resin holding the case together? It wouldn't unscrew when I tried by hand.

Oh and lastly, about the ebayser, It was fine when I bought it, but i 'cleaned' the lens. As a result the dot projected on surfaces is horrible! It cold be mistaken for a torch at short distance... any ideas? I think it may have been an ‘OC mirror’ from which I removed the coating whilst cleaning?
(The unit is still powerful, burns black electrical tape etc)

Thanks ;)

The LM317 is available at Radio Shack for about $2.50.
I suppose you might find one in a power supply of some sort, but we really have no idea what you "might have lying around".

If you do a search on "8x" you'll see posts that refer to these maxing at about 130-140ma for an optical output of about 80mW. If you're using Daedal's circuit, and are set up to measure the current going to the diode, I'd start low and work up slowly. If you've been following the various threads you've seen all the ways people kill their diodes so take heed.

I think most of the Aixiz modules don't have the black resin, they're just hard to get started unscrewing sometimes. I use 2 pairs of pliers to get them started, although this might nick them a bit.

What did you use to clean the lens?

woop

I am pretty sure the axis diode will have a diferent pinout to your dvd diode. and also the driver is adjusted to that specific diode, because every diode has diferent optical feedback proberties, it won't work with any other diode.
and generally lm317's are not used in products, trust me i pull apart a lot of random crap and i have never found one. most circuits require voltage regulation which is acheved a lot cheaper with other chips than the 317.
If you are in australia dick smith still has lm317T's or obviously radioshack in the US

And the driver board in the Aixis module is designed for a 5mw diode. I'm sure it can't be made to drive at 140ma.
There are lots of 3-terminal adjustable regulators that work like the LM317. NTE has several of different current capacities.