Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

got 3-D printer... Need parts?

Hey all,

Haven't been around here in a bit, I took a big dive into 3-D printing. Recently got my Solidoodle2, got it all tweaked up, running like a champ.

Just figured I'd put it out there, if anyone needs some custom plastic parts, just PM me, and we'll talk.

Currently only printing in black ABS plastic, but I will be getting more colors, including GITD, soon. My machine has a build platform of 6" x 6" x 6".

I'll review the parts prior to printing, both for pricing and a successful final print. I use Google's SketchUp, but many other 3-D programs will export the required .STL files.

(Mods: please move post to proper topic if incorrect ;-)

What do, and dont you like about it? Do you have the heated or standard platform? Reviews are hard to find. I may pick one up if I know it will last.

Thank you.

sinner

Good to know, a couple of pictures of your work would be great!

What do, and dont you like about it? Do you have the heated or standard platform? Reviews are hard to find. I may pick one up if I know it will last.

Thank you.

I got the Sollidoodle2. I love it. it's been very robust indeed.

For about $550, an assembled, tested, 3-D printer is a good deal.

while I did have to re-install the software twice, if I subtract the time for the first software install and removal, I started my first print within an hour.

PROS: almost everything. very well thought out, really solid, workhorse.
Customer support was also very good, their guy recommended we talk on the phone, called when he said he would, and gave me much more info than I needed. Their guy John took the time to solve the problem, then offered up a number of tips and tricks, as well as a brief chat about the company's growth and some associated pains - which I asked about. Very nice and knowledgeable guy. A+ support.

CONS: the whole software 'thing' is clunky. you have to interface with a nuber of different proggies. You have your modelling program - which is purely preferential and shouldn't and isn't dictated by them. Then there is a conversion program, and then the front end for the printer. It's not horrible to work with, and mostly automated, and it really does offer an amazing level of control over your prints, far more than the average hobbyist will ever need - and far more than I need, and I am using it in a light manufacturing role.

Other con in the purchase:
Solidoodle is MONTHS behind in their orders. It took and still is taking longer than they expected to get the whole operation ramped up, and the demand exceed their expectations as well - and good for them.
If you NEED to make particular objects, and want something to get going without loads of assembly and tweaking, this is a great start - provided you're not in a rush.

realistically, you could build one in less than their delivery time...

I recommend their product highly, and no, I am not affiliated with them in any way.

I'll post some pics soon...

Fantastic. Thank you for the information. :beer:

Now I have to con the wife to let me blow $550 on a gadget to make small plastic thingamajigs. She still doesnt understand the laser love yet. :whistle:

Fantastic. Thank you for the information. :beer:

Now I have to con the wife to let me blow $550 on a gadget to make small plastic thingamajigs. She still doesnt understand the laser love yet. :whistle:

I don't really tell the wife what most of this stuff costs. ;) I handle the finances so it isn't an issue.

Anyway, kind of curious as to why I should NOT get one of these!

I saw the cons list in the op. Nothing terrible there.

What is the strength of the plastic? How much does it cost? What can and can't you make? Any surprises or letdowns?

Can I make things to fix my terlet? My car? Door handles, kids toys, dolls or Halloween stuff like a bony hand or a small skull.

How much for a larger unit - 12x12x12?

If you have the time I'd be curious and I'm sure others would be too...

Another thing, after looking at Solidoodle it SEEMS like the extra $50 for the PRO model would be worth it? Heating element and spool... Your thoughts?

And yet another thing.. I see plastic ain't cheap! http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Filament-...FPUA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346770062&sr=8-8 - how long does a 2 lb spool last usually? Any experience yet?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't really tell the wife what most of this stuff costs. ;) I handle the finances so it isn't an issue.

Anyway, kind of curious as to why I should NOT get one of these!

I saw the cons list in the op. Nothing terrible there.

What is the strength of the plastic? How much does it cost? What can and can't you make? Any surprises or letdowns?

Can I make things to fix my terlet? My car? Door handles, kids toys, dolls or Halloween stuff like a bony hand or a small skull.

How much for a larger unit - 12x12x12?

If you have the time I'd be curious and I'm sure others would be too...

Another thing, after looking at Solidoodle it SEEMS like the extra $50 for the PRO model would be worth it? Heating element and spool... Your thoughts?

And yet another thing.. I see plastic ain't cheap! Amazon.com: 1.75mm ABS Yellow Filament 1.3kg (=2.86 lbs) On Spool for 3D Printer MakerBot, RepRap, MakeGear & Up!: Office Products - how long does a 2 lb spool last usually? Any experience yet?

Thanks!

I've made over a dozen parts for my projects - mostly LED clocks of a few different styles.

For fun, I've made toys for the cat, an iPhone kickstand so our son's girlfriend away at school can join us for dinner, the OctoKitty, some rocket ships, LucyCat for my daughter's friend, a pentacle for my Wiccan wife, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I got a 2 lb spool, and after 40 hours of actual print time, I doubt I've used more than 15%. It's not quite as expensive as it seems, once you start printing stuff out and the stats tell you that your object used XXXX mm. of plastic as well as gives you the costs of filament and machine time.

Most of the stuff one would print is hollow-ish, and when you are designing your own parts, you can tweak the designs to use even less fill material and still keep some structural integrity.

Speaking of, the plastic is pretty tough. I was having some extruder jams, and a print failed. it was a C-shaped piece 4" in diameter, 1.75 inches high, and about 3/8" thick. I stood on it, and it barely let out a crack... I wouldn't bet anyone's life on it though...

Get the PRO model. While a heated bed only costs about $35, it will save you time and money in the long run, as you'll have less failed prints and shorter clean-up time between prints.

Cons are few, Pros are many. reasons not to? uhhh.... erm... ummm... Nope, can't think of one. Not a one.

Halloween fan too? Check this: I built a 11 foot tall mausoleum in my front yard (to go with the rest of the graveyard), hung a scrim of fine white mesh, and shined my Laser Lumia on it. Haunted in an instant.

check out thingiverse.com, i guess it's the biggest repository for 3-d printable/laser-cut-able stuff on the web.