Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Goodbye Net Neutrality

IsaacT

How do yall think this will affect us? How bad do you think it will get? Or do you think the companies will generally stick to giving sites the same bandwidth to keep customers happy?

ARG

Or do you think the companies will generally stick to giving sites the same bandwidth to keep customers happy?

Yeah, because that will totally happen. :whistle:

I just hope this craziness doesn't spread to Canada. This isn't how the internet is made to be. It's not a TV with channels.

It's going to go to full blown lunacy with ISPs cutting bandwidth to all those who don't pay the premium - a premium set by the ISP with no checks. Not a whole lot we can do about it as the end user unfortunately.

IsaacT

I am almost willing to cancel my service to protest this particular bit of horseshit.

You kidding? My ISP already throttles the living hell out of my internet, even though they say "no data cap". Its obvious, when my speed is cut to 1/8th what i pay for, after I say, download a 500mb file. Download file, and boom, internet is shite for the rest of the week, I kid you not. This whole thing is just another step at the government trying to know everything about everyone. It seems like the gvmnt doesn't even try to hide what they are doing anymore, since Snowden (props to that guy!). They're just like "Hey, we are going to know everything you do, and you can't do jack s%$ about it." A complete anarchy and overthrow of the government would be great, eh? :p

You know what, some day I will be rich, and I will buy my own satellite, move to a cave in the arctic (a sweet-ass man cave, James Bond style business) and have my own internet. No prying government to annoy me. Unless they take over my sattelite, which would probably happen....

SOOOOO, whatever happened to "A government by the people, for the people" ????

EDIT: So, time to officially switch over to Tor browser, eh?

Last edited:
I don't really care if the government knows when I take a piss, how much volume it was, what the stream velocity peaked at, and how it smelled, but I don't like when corporations set impositions upon us without us agreeing individually first.

IsaacT

Lol Sigurther well put mate. I would personally rather not ever be a blip on the gov radar but this kind of company control over the data I can view pisses me off.

I mean this is two steps away from US citizens only being able to see what the gov expressly wants you to see. Truthfinding sites will go down and we will see a large porrion of the population who keep ingesting the shit being fed to them and then a small group of irritable individuals who realize the BS beong presented to them.

Don't focus just on the bad. New startups will offer neutral access to the internet, I hope, and to some folks, that may be worth the extra $5 or so.

I saw something about a certain ISP slipstreaming affiliate codes into sites like amazon and the like when their users go to those sites. I bet this will be more commonplace, rather than ISPs throttling back their competition's pages and services.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure when America decided it was the boss of the internet... When did this happen? As far as I know, the Internet belongs to Al Gore.

Does the passing of an act determine whether or not the government gets to do the actions contained within said document?

the crafters of those did not forget about it. the elements of the proposals will keep showing their heads in one form or another, like a hydra. information control is very important to some people. think how few individuals own all the newspapers, T.V., and radio? why wouldn't they want the next format under their control as well?

controlling infrormation is to a large degree = controlling thought

Last edited:

Pilgor

This won't happen in Canada, because there is a precedent preventing it from happening. Internet companies were throttling peoples connections when they were playing certain games and visiting certain sites, and the CRTC rulled that they can't do it. You have to give what they pay for (connection speed) and cannot throttle it at all.

As for the USA, I have a feeling that this bill will get struck done, and will not pass.