Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good source for PBS cubes?

altera

Guys, I'm looking to combine two 405nm diodes for my CNC laser (qumefox suggested I do this in a previous thread). I have one running already in my CNC but I'd like to try with two for faster/cleaner cuts if possible.

a. Is it feasible to combine two beams for cutting or am I going to create a rather large spot due to misalignment?

b. what is a good source for PBS's? I've seen ctlasers.com they sell 405nm coated PBSs for about $60.

blrock

I bought a coated PBS from Crylight for $50....10x10x10
Good product. No issues

Oh and if you do go this route I highly recommend you get a Newport type mount to attach the PBS. It can be a pain to align the two axises without a good commerial optic mount. I just glued the PBS directly to the mount.

Last edited:

blrock

If you look at the picture you can see my PBS attached to the mount

Attachments

• DSC_0502.JPG
    DSC_0502.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 421

blrock

Damn blrock! are you rich? You have so many laser!

If I were rich there'd be several 40 watt green YAGs on my signature. And a 22 watt white light :)

Naw, just been building up the collection for 16 years. I'm a hard core laser nut.

Want to help a newbie out with some good deals on lasers you don't need anymore? :san:

most optics have anti-reflective coatings, either for specific ranges, i.e. IR, UV, xnm - ynm or broadband, (visible spectrum)...

blrock

Ah, so if I were to combine two 445's this would do the trick?

20MM COATED CUBE BEAMSPLITTER - Surplus Shed

No I don't think that'll work.

That looks like a beam splitter NOT a polarizing beam splitter. Big diffrence. Using that splitter won't combined the beams hence PBS are more expensive than "normal" beam splitters

This one will split two 1 watt 445 into two 1000mw beams not ONE 2000mw beam.

Last edited:

Helios

Even PBS cubes wont combine all of the lasers output as far as I know. If you want full power knife edging is the route most go but you would likely end up with a larger focal point.

andycon has had some good results with knife edging. look him up and go to his website.

michael.

blrock

Even PBS cubes wont combine all of the lasers output as far as I know. If you want full power knife edging is the route most go but you would likely end up with a larger focal point.

The loss is negligible. I have something like 1% on my one axis and 5% on the other. Therefore 2000mW input = 120mW loss.

Of coarse knife edging is awesome cause you not limited to two lasers :)

for low cost BSC, try surplusshed.com ;) -Glenn

BSC

I've bought some of them, and they're just beamsplitters, not combiners. If you shine a laser into either end, they'll split into two (quite nicely), but you can't combined beams aside from having two split from two lasers beams merge, each at 50% power.