Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good First pointer?

I think it depends on what your intended purpose is. 405 is cool because it makes some objects fluoresce but because our eyes don't see near ultraviolet well, the dot and even the beam appear fuzzy to our eyes.

I think a good quality 5mW green laser is a perfect first laser, it's just enough power to have a nice beam at night, it's dot is quite bright too, add a little smoke and it's very nice. The 5mW green is what started me off into lasers.

Theres a LOT to be said about quality, a laser is a precision instrument and if the people who made it didn't care to tune it correctly before letting it be sent out then you're stuck with weeks waiting for a return item. I've found it's always best to purchase quality the first time from places like optotronics.com or laserglow.com

Last edited:
If you have never used a laser before, go for a cheap <5mw to start with

405nm is not at all suitable for a first laser

Beware of the cheap Chinese imported lasers that claim to be <5mW. Most of them are over spec and could be dangerous.

For known power and quality go here:

Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers

These are probably on spec and the quality appears good. Although the quality appears good, I have never used them, but hear good things about the company.

Green Laser Pointer and Laser Accessories from Z-Bolt&#174

Anything >5mW you will need the appropriate safety goggles in the correct nm.

Glenn