Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

good cases for handheld lasers?

ixfd64

I know I've asked this before, but I guess my original posts weren't too clear.

Anyways, does anyone know where I can get a good protective case for individual lasers? A lot of people here use Pelican cases, and I have no doubt that they're very good for storing multiple items, but they also tend to be too large for what I need. If I were to take my Spyder on, say, a cave tour, I would not want to be lugging around a laptop-sized box!

Some people have also suggested using cigar cases, but most of them are actually too small! Most cigar cases have an interior length of no more than eight inches, and many lasers are longer than that. For example, an OtterBox will store a pen-sized laser but not a Spyder.

I've looked everywhere for an appropriately-sized case (with something along the lines of 10" L x 3" W x 2" H), but all I can find are those large and bulky ones.

I know that custom cases are always an option, but they tend to be pretty expensive.

Have you tried plastic preforms? They're used to make plastic bottles (they're blown with hot air inside a metal mold). You can fill them up with foam on the walls if it's not a perfect fit... and they're waterproof!

ixfd64

Yeah, I've looked at gun cases as well, but they're still a bit unwieldy for the purpose of carrying a laser around. If that case had something like 9.7" x 2.7" x 2.8", it would be perfect.

Another thing I've noticed is that some smaller cases (e.g., the Pelican 1020) will still hold a large laser if I separate remove the tail cap first, but this would be a somewhat of a hassle.