Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going over a lasers duty cycle 3x over what happens?

My green 300mw green rayfoss l;aser started behaving weiredly today it all of a sudden started to speread the beam out from the focal point, some of the light isnt in the main beam itself it is scattering around the main dot itself, it has formed a sort ofaura around the main dot so it isnt lighting matches or burning your skin as fast as it did before that happened. I was trying to remeber what i was doing before i noticede that behavior and i think i went over the duty cycle It got quite hot I wasnt paying attention to how long i had it on (I usually do pay very close attention to its duty cycle and turn it off when it gets there) , Dam it i hope i wasnt a dumb **** and did that. Thats what i suspect happened or was it something else?

daguin

Shine the beam through a magnifying glass to defocus the beam and shine it on a wall nearby. What does the "spot" look like?

Peace,
dave

My 300mw is a torrch you can not focus it but i did what you asked and it sort of looks the same it still has the "aura" effect around the main dot. but i can focus it just fine with the magnifying glass to burn better but it still wont burn my skin as fast as it did before.

I cleaned out th aperture with a small piece of cloth to make sure it wasnt dirt do that ill try charging the battery to full.

i tried charging the battery to full and it still does not burn or light matches as fast as it used to.

it's possible that an overheat could have done crystal or diode damage. Can you post a stopped-down spot shot at a distance, if possible?

Could it possibly be in TEM 10?
20041009005617%21Laguerre-gaussian.png

yes it kind of looks like TEM 10 its a single ring of scattered tiny dots all around the central dot

forgot how to post images but i got it lol, took picture on white and black backgrounds so you can see difference