Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Goggle for Red AND Green (+battery question)

C86

Hello.

I need some goggles for green AND red laser. IS there any good (cheap)?

I got
- 100mW 650nm red laser pen/ focusable /Pop balloons [OL-650-100P] - $11.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
and
50mW transformable green laser/adjustable/burning [OLV50] - $36.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Plus, das anyone know WHICH battery I need for the green one? Sure, it is a 18650 lithium, but there seem to be different sizes, right?
O-like has 18*65(mm) and 18*69(mm).
What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance : )

Last edited:

Re: Google for Red AND Green (+battery question)

Your title says google for red and green. I think you meant gargles *ahem* goggles for red and green. I tried googling "red and green" and I came up with a steakhouse ;)
Here's some good googles Safety

And if it takes an 18650, that's the battery you need. The only reason two 18650's would be different sizes is if one was protected and one was not, and even in that case it would be a very small difference

C86

Pff, its goggles!

Haha, thanks : P

About the battery... Isnt that a standard AA size? It looks like the battery needs to be thicker.

No no. A 14500 battery would be the size of a double A. 18650's are a bit bigger. Didn't it come with a battery?

^ what he said
My 18650's measure 65mm (didn't check diameter, assuming around 18mm), their measurements 18*65 (or 69) is diameter by length, the extra 4mm is the space the protection takes up.

They're pretty much the same size, 4mm won't be life-changing nor a problem.

Benm

There are very few goggles that will protect against both red and green - the problem is mainly that there would not be much visible light left, perhaps just a bit on the blue end.

Expensive goggles exist that do block both ~1100-600 nm AND have a sharp absorption notch around 532 nm, but these will be hard to find.

After using some ML7s for decent red/green protection (OD2.5 for green, OD 1.5 for red), I hate using broad-spectrum goggles. You can't see anything with them.

Instead buy a pair of goggles that will cover green and blue (orange-filter ARG goggles work), and then another pair of goggles to cover red (RB2 or other varieties). That way you'll still cover two major visible wavelength bands with one pair (with the ARGs), another major band with another, and STILL actually see something.

C86

Battery:
Ok, sounds good : )
And no, the 50mW green did not come with batteries, though it should have.
O-like sent me the green one without any box, but with a quite cool Ultrafire Camo bag. The tail cap came separately with the red 100mW.

Goggles:
Hm, wouldn´t be nice not to see any light left : /
What about those cheap <10€-goggles? Are they worth it or are my eyes worth buying more expensive ones (just joking).
OK, seriously, are cheap ones worth buying/ok for my 50mw green / 100mw red? Do I need extremely good goggles? Aaaaand, most important- how can I be sure the goggles ARE actually safe?

Those red-laser-enhancement-goggles-masquerading-as-safety-goggles in that Lazerer link are uncomfortable, break easily, and are made with those terrible red filters which are so hard to see stuff with. That $9 price is testimony to the ol' proverb "you get what you pay for."

One time I got so mad with the ones I owned, because the already uncomfortable earpiece broke off, that I literally threw them across the room, breaking them. Later I ended up drilling out the fronts for use in some other project. I have no regrets about destroying them!

If you're going to get less expensive 445/532 protection, I would get an Eagle pair like this or this. They have 50% visible light transmission (VLT), which allows you to see what you're doing a lot better.

For red, I would get their 580-760nm model. I think it'll be more useful than the one hoo7h linked to because it also covers 638nm--which is becoming a lot more available in higher powers. It has 30% VLT, but that's still workable.

Yes, those are 4x as much as that crappy Lazerer pair, but remember that the best safety equipment is the type you want to use! If you're pained by using them, you won't wear them. I have personally spent more on safety goggles than my lasers, and I don't regret that fact at all.

Last edited: