Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Glastonbury Tor with my 1.3W 520nm

Well the Tor is a lovely place to be, so I decided to take a couple of quick shots with the new 1.3W 520nm up there :eg:

11034-520-top-tor.jpg

11033-520-firing-out-tor.jpg

520nm light looks lovely. Exposures were 15 seconds, ISO 2000, F2.2. Taken on a Nikon D90 with my Samyang F1.4 24mm lens. :thanks:

Glastonbury, do you live near there? Get at least a couple of current photos of the Abbey and you have more +rep coming, chalice well is very close by have you been there? Glastonbury, a place of legends, and the burial sites of Arthur and Guinevere and Joseph of Arimathea. I would visit there myself but I won't be traveling again in my lifetime.

Alan

I live just down the road, about 8 miles away from the Tor. So it takes me about 15 mins to get there. I am sad to hear that, G'bury is awesome. I'm surprised you know so much about it. I'm often around the Abbey and that area, I'll happily upload some pics there at some point. I'm running out of allowed uploads though, so may have to find a way to host them elsewhere and use a BB code.

You might try using Photobucket, that's what I use and quite a few others here, it's also easy to resize or edit your photos after uploading them.

Alan

I never thought to take a long exposure in daylight. That really puts into perspective how bright these 1 W 520's are.

Thank you Apex1 :D much appreciated! bdgreenb that would be sweet, but the issue is that he lives in New Jersey and I'm over in the UK :crackup:

I think a collaboration would be great fun, but he's more into indoor set ups and I like to shoot outdoor shots :D if we could maybe persuade him to bring his skillful use of mirrors and gratings out to a forest it would be awesome to witness the results. I'd happily advise on outdoor settings for a DSLR.

Olympus mons, this is a night time shot, a daytime show wouldn't show up a 1.3W greenie, or at least, not very much. LE in daytime would only show up what you see normally. It would show movement, but not light. Or at least that would be my understanding. Assuming you actually used a Neutral Density filter for your shots as I do. I use a 10 stop for outdoors work on my 18mm Nikon lens. I'm 99% sure during daytime you won't see a beam, but I'll happily test it and see what happens.

:angel:

Thank you everyone! My next project is to go to a weir that resides next to a church in a quiet village a few miles away...

It'd be ideal as I can cross the weir via a bridge at two points, and set up multiple long exposures with several lasers operating in unison on multiple tripods. Especially if I bring an assistant with me. It'd be unique as the weir drops a good 10 feet and the bridge is another 10 feet at least above the higher section with a 5 foot drop onto a separate vantage point. It would create a huge challenge regarding depth of field and focal point to make a nice image in the dark. There is also another bridge and a church tower in view if I operate from the embankment on the far side, so it could make for some interesting reflections and refractions. I'm hoping the weir itself will change colour, there will be reflections of the path of each beam and maybe beam bounces, I may even be able to safely hit the church tower with a reflection if I aim it right. The tricky part will be lugging all my kit there, arriving undetected in my stupidly loud car, and operating all the lasers and camera quietly whilst coordinating things... :banghead: also working 60 hrs a week at the present so finding the time might be an issue :thinking:

Last edited:

SteveT

Great shots there Aardvark, all you need now is a 589 to add to your collection! I'm assuming also you've never been 'apprehended' when taking these shots in public?

I really want a golden/yellow of some kind. 598nm would be sweet. Also a 462nm of course. Oh and I need a decent genuine 100mW + 532nm with an IR filter as my cheap ones have terrible issues in the cold and spill tons of IR light out of their lenses... I've seen it emitted with an IR camera but don't let everyone know :shhh: haha the 520nms I have are great, one is dead at the moment, but it'll be repaired one day. I can't afford any more lasers for a long time, I've been splashing like mad, and my car needs work done soon.

Haha no, I never get seen in action. I'm very sneaky. Usually I'm out at 3AM or 4AM on a Sunday or a Monday etc. Odd times and often in the middle of nowhere. If I am out earlier at say 2300, and I encounter someone who won't move along, then I ask permission to use the laser, as I did up the Tor with the two people seen there, and try to educate, and incorporate them so that they feel included. I only talk to someone provided they look sensible. If it's young people I run into, anyone wearing a suspect looking get up, or anyone who's been drinking I move along and return several hours later. I'm responsible for obvious reasons, besides valuing my equipment :angel:

The weir is fairly public but not as visible as the Tor. So hopefully nobody will be awake there at 3AM on a cold Monday night in November :beer: