Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ghetto rigged phr 803t problem

I HAD a ghetto rigged phr803t that was working great until just a while ago. I put it in my pocket and walked around a bit. when I got home i took it out to play with it and it suddenly doesn't work :-/ idk what it would be. :'( idk if something shorted or what but the driver board gets hot after a few seconds of the switch being turned on but no violet light at all from the diode :-/ how can I test to see if the diode is still good?

If it is the one on the other thread and was all just put in your pocket in skeleton form I would be looking for a short on the driver..... a bit of silver foil or something fropm your pocket.

If the battery was still connected I hope all your wire/switch joints were insulated as they could have touched something on the driver and zapped it.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
If it is the one on the other thread and was all just put in your pocket in skeleton form I would be looking for a short on the driver..... a bit of silver foil or something fropm your pocket.

If the battery was still connected I hope all your wire/switch joints were insulated as they could have touched something on the driver and zapped it.

Regards rog8811
it was in a host :-/ and I didn't use it much so I didn't put a heat sync on it, total time on it was about 10 minutes over 2 days NO light is emitted, if that matters. if I killed it shouldn't have an LED effect? or am I wrong on that?

Without a heatsink, you'd need a pretty conservative duty cycle. Did you click it on and off a lot? The only thing I could think of is you turned it on and off to much or it's something on the driver like a loose connection.

randomlugia said:
Without a heatsink, you'd need a pretty conservative duty cycle. Did you click it on and off a lot? The only thing I could think of is you turned it on and off to much or it's something on the driver like a loose connection.
click it on for about 10-15 seconds MAX then left it alone for a minute (it's about 50F here and it was always cold to the touch) it never even got slighty warm
it was working then I put it in my pocket and took it out later after a walk and I clicked the switch and nothing happened :-/

check the connections between the driver and diode, and the driver and battery. a multimeter is helpful with this as you can use the "beep" function that tells you when there is a short between the two probes (you want a short between the connections). it looks like a line with a diode symbol on the multimeter and also has a little sound wave thingy.

check the battery (multimeter helps for this too, check the voltage)

and.... it might be helpful to have another driver and you can hook the diode up to that (via soldering it off the old and onto the new) then you could know if the diode is good. if that works then you can put another diode on the old driver and see if that works, if not, then u know its the driver.

good luck,
Kendall

sk8er4514 said:
check the connections between the driver and diode, and the driver and battery. a multimeter is helpful with this as you can use the "beep" function that tells you when there is a short between the two probes (you want a short between the connections). it looks like a line with a diode symbol on the multimeter and also has a little sound wave thingy.

check the battery (multimeter helps for this too, check the voltage)

and.... it might be helpful to have another driver and you can hook the diode up to that (via soldering it off the old and onto the new) then you could know if the diode is good. if that works then you can put another diode on the old driver and see if that works, if not, then u know its the driver.

good luck,
Kendall
the driver board is putting out 8.5volts at 97mA. the diode is bipolar? +-+ -to- 483ohms other way 580ohms the battery is at 9.47V
what is the driver suppose to put out?

the driver board is putting out 8.5volts at 97mA.

Was that tested with no load? If so it tells you nothing, you need a test load on there to find out if the driver is OK....testing it "open circuit is likely to damage the driver.

the diode is bipolar? +-+ -to- 483ohms other way 580ohms

Not sure what you are saying here, If you are trying to test the LD you need to set your DMM to the diode test setting, connecting your test leads to the LD pins one way will give you a reading of zero, connect the other way and you should get somewhere around 2.5..... The LD may glow slightly as well.

If you get the above you may still have an LD, but you may find that it is just an LED, a reading of zero both ways round = RIP little LD.... ;)

Regards rog8811

idk much of anything about this, but if you didn't put a heatsink on it it could be just that, you had it in your pocket so your body heat confined inside your pocket and the host could have built up just enough that when you clicked it on it died. but thats just a guess