Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GGW-H20L (6X) vs. SF-AW210 (6X)

daguin

Those of us that work with many diodes know the look of the back of the diodes from the two different 6X sleds available to us.

The diode from the GGW-H20L has the distinct green "splotch." The diode from the SF-AW210 has a large square "bar code" that looks, to the naked eye" just like the square bar code on a PHR.

Well I was harvesting GGW-H20L diodes this evening and guess what I found? -- the diode used in the SF-AW210 in a GGW-H20L sled!

Yes, I am sure. I double checked when I saw it. When I saw the square bar code the diode was still in the heat sink from the GGW sled.

We believe that the SF-AW210 is not quite as "tough" or as consistent as the GGW-H20L. When you are harvesting 6X diodes, you need to be mindful of which diode is coming out of the sled.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Hmmm.... I believe the one I harvested was genuine. But thanks for the heads up. It is stable and powerful so far, but if it ever dies I'll do an autopsy. Igor? :D

Thanks for the heads up Dave I always look and so for they have all been the right one.

Thank you Dave, the last SF I used for a build had the square code and the green spolch on top of that I'm sure of this... it was hard to see, but was there.

It had the resemblece of a GGW in beam quality thou... My other SF burns well rounder beam a little less pronouce violet, but doesnt have the color as my other GGWs.

so I-dono

Last edited:

daguin

Thank you Dave, the last GGW I used for a build had the square code and the green spolch on top of that I'm sure of this... it was hard to see, but was there.
It had the resemblece of a GGW in beam quality thou... My other SF burns well rounder beam a little less pronouce yiolet, but doesnt have the color as my other GGWs.
so I-dono

This is from normal wavelength variation (+-10nm).

Peace,
dave

rubberband your the reason why i'm, hooked on bluray builds lol thanks
i think 150 to 180 ma is safe for these

Last edited:
The SF-AW210 diode I've been running at 160mA seems to have "degraded". The dot now has a characteristic dark oval inside of it. It also seems to burn not nearly as well as before.
Then again the window did shatter when I first extracted it, so the chip is not protected from harmful gases in the air, which could be the cause of the dark oval.
Pictures at request.

I am running the one in my waterproof built at 210 to 220mA. No degrading so far.
Puts out 198mW with the 405 Jayrob lens mod.

what is a good current to run these AW-SF210 diodes at to get a long life?

Mine's at 200mA, with light abuse of duty cycle every now and then. No degradation and burns great with no lens mod, standard Aixiz glass lens. I like the SF 6x diodes, the first few batches may have been harvested roughly or just bad diodes like these 8x ones recently.

Back on topic, I guess everyone needs to check their GGW's when they get them to make sure. Good eye Daguin, no one may have ever noticed. Also, maybe someone switched the diode and heatsink out beforehand or were there no signs of tampering??? I'm not saying on the guy you got it froms end, before him at the procurement site or wherever. It is odd but stranger things have happened.

daguin

Mine's at 200mA, with light abuse of duty cycle every now and then. No degradation and burns great with no lens mod, standard Aixiz glass lens. I like the SF 6x diodes, the first few batches may have been harvested roughly or just bad diodes like these 8x ones recently.

Back on topic, I guess everyone needs to check their GGW's when they get them to make sure. Good eye Daguin, no one may have ever noticed. Also, maybe someone switched the diode and heatsink out beforehand or were there no signs of tampering??? I'm not saying on the guy you got it froms end, before him at the procurement site or wherever. It is odd but stranger things have happened.

The sled was not tampered with.

Peace,
dave

There was a thread for the SFs to report their lifespan... I can't find it, but now is a good time to report that my SF unit w/ a current set at 193mA is runic strong with many hours on it one of my favorite units burns like a mad dog.
free-sexy-smileys-951.gif

It's allso due for an exotic lens assembly.

update: in regardes to this laser I was running it and when I did a slight tap on the head of the unit (dumb move I know) it LED'ED I will say that that was a first for me... I have a feeling that the hard tap not real hard just a tap did it in. I see where it is a very bright LED I have a suspicion I bounced the mirror off I will give it a proper funeral:( fun unit served me well about 13 solid hrs on it some run times up to 5 mins. That is all.

Last edited:
The sled was not tampered with.

Peace,
dave

Oh. The search continues then :beer: Maybe they use them in some sleds if they are good diodes. My 6x SF seems to be a very good one but time will tell.

@ Daguin: Is this the only sled reported so far?

daguin

Oh. The search continues then :beer: Maybe they use them in some sleds if they are good diodes. My 6x SF seems to be a very good one but time will tell.

@ Daguin: Is this the only sled reported so far?

It is the first one I noticed. No one else has reported this. However, no one was looking for it either. One or more could have scooted past the soldering iron without being noticed.

Peace,
dave

Yes it's best to get your sled from a know good source as some people on this forum have been known to swap out laser diodes in sleds.