Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G'Day

Hi people, Id like to introduce myself.

Im 33 year old Aussie, And been interested in lasers since I can remember(literally). As Einstein said 'A splendid light has dawned on me'. :can:

Im glad I found this forum, Hopefully it will give me a chance to meet like minded people. Lasers are the best light of any kind. And IMHO people who use them for better purposes are most likely to be technically minded.

I am in the middle of an Electronics course(I should have done this 16 years ago). :whistle:

I built my first laser kit (5mW He-Ne) when I was 15-16, It was bought from Oatley Electronics in Sydney and shipped to me by post, It took 2 days(Happy days). If I plugged the IC in, It would have worked first go :whistle:

It was absolutely awesome it blew away the 1mw diodes that cost almost the same, It simply mesmerized people. Just to be clear I NEVER pointed it at anything vehicular, Not even from over a 1Km away.

Now Im stuck with a dilemma cause by arsehats pointing newer and much more powerful lasers at stuff they shouldn't. One day ill probably go to jail for almost killing someone trying to get them self on the news with a laser. I will not hesitate, I will seriously hurt these people. And take/steal their laser. It kind of scares me because I think someday its going to happen. :cryyy:

Anyway, I have a genuine interest in making lasers do stuff, I have an idea that can only be done with a laser in the 500mw to 2Watt power level, That may increase as I gain more knowledge in electronics.

I now have a more hope in getting a laser with this power through a loop hole in the 'Customs (Prohibited Imports) Amendment Regulations 2008 (No. 3)' thingy, Some pea brain has set up.:yabbmad:

Anyway Again hopefully im back in action(In a room with no windows and as much safety as needed.

Cheers people :)

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If your are planning to buy anything on the
Forum.... PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

There are a few Aussies here already... pull up
a chair... make yourself at home...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Cheers Jerry

I have no intention of buying anything from the forum. I simply see it as a place to meet like minded people, And learn stuff that makes my brain tick. I will also read the important notes, All the stickys and all the new theads once I learn my way around.

Cheers again :)

Hi, Welcome:D

You'll find that many companies still ship to australia without issue.

Since you're taking a class in electronics though, your options are completely open... putting together many lasers is actually surprisingly easy, if you heavy a steady hand with a soldering iron.

Have fun:)

Last edited:
Hi InfinitusEquitas :)

Ive been looking thought this forum, I love it. Heaps of info and very dedicated people. I dont think ill rack up 1000 posts in a year like some seem to though.

My soldering skills are excellent from years ago, Though I will be taught 'High reliability soldering' in the course. One can perfectly solder a 300 pin IC in about 30 seconds, Amazing to watch.

Im still learning the lingo about lasers, Is there a glossary someone has put together ?

I think its a bit dangerous to my wallet if a order a 'pointer', Though the lab style lasers would suit me best anyway. The pointers with 60sec on, 5 off, Dont turn me on.

I actually gave up on the laser idea out of fear that customs will get it, And decided to buy a 75watt HID torch. But now this forum has set me straight :bowdown:

-Cheers

Fiddy

Fellow Aussie mate,

There's no worries importing the modules/drivers/diodes separately, just don't import a complete one!

Cheers people :)

Yeah, Its good to see us Aussies get around :)

Ive been searching for a lab laser, The only ones ive seen cost way over a $1000, a few of them seem to be in the $7000 range :cryyy:

I found a HeNe, Though not as powerful as the one I had many years ago.
632.8nm takenaka lx405lc 1MW Lab Laser head beam head For Sale , But I could get 4 for the same price as my old one :D

Im preferably after a gas type, I think their the real ones with much better light. I like the look of the Argon gas types, But I dont think I can afford that.

Ive search but it dont look good. Can anyone help me to the right place ?

-Cheers

First off, Welcome to the forum! Good to see more aussies!

I'm from Sydney. Where are you from?

In regards to the gas lasers, contact a member here named TimeLabLasers, he is based in Australia so shipping will be a lot cheaper, plus he will be able to answer any of you gas laser related questions.

I'm also happy to answer any questions or help you out, just drop me a PM.

-Adrian

G'Day man
Im in Newcastle, Maybe I could climb Mt.Sugarloaf and point lasers at you, lol J/K

Maybe this forum would be the best place to buy a laser. Seems people know their smit and take care with it.

Ill do a bit more waiting and research. I really like the idea of a pale blue laser or a yellow one(fat chance of that i spose).

Thanks again
-Daniel