Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GB laser barrels

Kenom

I've talked with a manufacturing company to have my own custom laser barrels made.  I'm now looking to see how interested folks are going to be in purchasing a premade ready to go laser host that won't require any modification to it.  Slap in the diode, driver circuit and go.   I've gotten estimates back from the manufacturing company on how much it's going to cost for these things to be made and I'm seeing if it's financially possible for me to make these and who would be interested.

The host incorporates the following things.
Barrel for batteries either 2AA's or 2 14500's 3.6v rechargables.

Module incorporated into the head out of a solid peice of aluminum optics screw right in just like the aixiz module. The advantage of this is you have a large mass of metal for heatsinking and press fitting the diode right into the head makes for less peices.

clicky tail cap.

all aluminum costruction

Now I don't have a picture or a cadd drawing of the barrels yet as that would cost me money to have that made up.  I've told the company that this is dependant on interest on the forum and how many I figure I can sell.  They would do an initial run of 100 for me .  

The barrels will look like a Sonar case on http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/SONAR_Blu_ray_Case-58-11.html
the one exception being there won't be any indents on the barrel.  the barrel is totally smooth and finished smooth and shiny.  Another light that is similair in design to the barrels (and is actually what I'm using as a kind of model) is the Dorcy flashlight here : http://dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414255
The outside Diameter is roughly 25mm  and the length is roughly 200mm.  The head unscrews and in the inside diameter is a Hole for mounting the diode  Top section of the barrel is just a hole with threads for the optics to screw in. (traditional Aixiz optics holder)  Tail cap unscrews with a clicky installed and a rubber boot.

Initial cost to have then run per unit is roughly $30.  If I have a run of 100 that will be $3,000 with a minor fee for running the designs into cadd so they can be cnc'd.  I will have these run as soon as we sell 60 of them. (I'll take on the rest of the cost)

You can pay here: http://kenkassidy.googlepages.com/home

Up above you can see the benefits of having one of these barrels.  It increases duty cycle of the laser diode so heat is no longer an issue and we don't have to make up aluminum spacers for heatsinks or get creative to find heatsinks for the modules.  Merging the head and the module means no bad fits.  Plus these things will look SHARP!  they incorporate the module and lens so you don't have to buy that, they include the tailcap clicky so you don't have to buy that.  The batteries are readily available and because of Senkats commitment to providing us with Laser diodes we will always have access to those.

Give a chime out for those that are interested.  I'd like to say that I can take on the expense of this whole thing and just retail them but I'm not in any place right now to finance this.  So we need to get all 100 paid for in advance of the run.  However I was told that as soon as payment was made the run should only take a week or two.  From there it's a matter of shipping them out.  

I havn't located drivers yet for these but I am still working on a nice design like the one's found here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3160
I will be using these for the 14500's.  You can of course incorporate your own driver as there is lots of room in the top of the head for it.

I wanna see this come to reality guys.  These units are SWEET! and it beats $40 plus shipping for a sonar case and will work with any 5.6mm diode.

barrel.jpg

Kenom

Re: GB feeler laser barrels

Oh and the instant I see good enough interest in this I will pay for the designs to be run up so you can all see what it involves.

You can pay here: http://kenkassidy.googlepages.com/home

interested
High Octane lpf  -  1   PAID$   SHIPPED   Verified
SenKat lpf   -   5   PAID$   SHIPPED  Verified
Greenie lpf  -   1   PAID$   SHIPPED
K-9  lpf  -  1   PAID$   SHIPPED
Raytracer lpf  -  1   PAID$
Gazoo lpf -  1   PAID$
BlueFusion lpf  - 1   PAID$  SHIPPED  Verified
kdubbz lpf  -  2   PAID$
wvaltakis2  CPF  -  2   PAID$
DoughDTD lpf  -  2   PAID$
xarylx lpf  -   2   PAID$
pocketfluff lpf  -  1  PAID$    SHIPPED
Bionic-Badger lpf  -  3   PAID$   SHIPPED   Partially shipped and verified (my mistake)
Freyth lpf  -  6   PAID$
jayrob lfp  -  1   PAID$  SHIPPED Verified
COMMANDR CPF  -  1   PAID$   SHIPPED
KINGKONG CPF  -  3   PAID$
kaeus  -  1   PAID$
starfiretoo CPF - 4   PAID$
mrsinbad CPF - 2   PAID$
TOMTEC lpf - 4   PAID$
JES lpf  -  2   PAID$   SHIPPED
aaronX987 lpf  -  2   PAID$
Jaeger lpf  -  1   PAID$
jrb lpf  -  2   PAID$
Sawt al Hurriyah lpf  -  1
onefatsurfer lpf  -  1   PAID$
allthatwhichis PL  -  1   PAID$
Future_prius CPF  -  2   PAID$
Lorgar LPF  -  1   PAID$   SHIPPED
Dr.lava lpf  -  1   PAID$   SHIPPED  Verified
yobresal  -  2   PAID$
McHank lpf  -  1   PAID$
RDzombie  CPF  -  2   PAID$
yuip lpf  -  1  PAID$
Toked323 lpf  -  1  PAID$   SHIPPED   Verified
quantile LPF  -  1  PAID$
MrMimizu cpf  -  1  PAID$
PhotonPhantom cpf  -  1   PAID$
Confused lpf  -  1   PAID$
GED lpf  -  2  PAID$
Amkdeath lpf  -  1  PAID$   SHIPPED  Verified
Dingle lpf  -  1  PAID$
pwnstar LPF  -  1   PAID$  SHIPPED
Marks47 lpf  -  1   PAID$
Hemlock mike lpf  -  1   PAID$  SHIPPED  Verified

Total = 84  Were there!!!!

S

SenKat

Let's GIT R DUN ! :D I'm pretty hyped to see what they will look like...where are you going to get the optics ? Can they be manufactured with a tiny groove for tritium vials ? :) I see LOTS of opportunities here, folks.....

Funds permitting, I am definitely in with this.....

Kenom --

Your 45 mA driver for BR LD's looks like a top end for this diode. I just posted my curves on this and you are in the ball park. Everyone knows that individual diode parameters vary.

Mike

SenKat said:
Let's GIT R DUN ! :D I'm pretty hyped to see what they will look like...where are you going to get the optics ? Can they be manufactured with a tiny groove for tritium vials ? :) I see LOTS of opportunities here, folks.....

Funds permitting, I am definitely in with this.....

No doubt. WOW ;D

Kenom

I'll be getting the optics probably from Aixiz.  So I am going to get prolly 3/4 acrylic and 1/4 glass.

so if folks are interested and you donno how many you want just indicate 1. I need to run up a tally here. I'm hoping to get this done quickly. I'm going to be posting this over at cpf and maybe PL. The sooner we see interest the sooner we can see some pictures and maybe he will run 1 for me so I can take pictures.

LarryQ

Can you add enough MASS to the end so that pressing in the AixiZ module will act as a heatsink?

A unit with integrated HS (large) room for a LM317 based circuit, and using 3 CR-123's would make for one HELL of a burner!!!!

LarryQ

Kenom

LarryQ said:
Can you add enough MASS to the end so that pressing in the AixiZ module will act as a heatsink?

A unit with integrated HS (large) room for a LM317 based circuit, and using 3 CR-123's would make for one HELL of a burner!!!!

LarryQ

With the head the way I've got it setup there in NO NEED FOR A MODULE AT ALL! the head incorporates the module INTO the head as one large mass of aluminum.
If there is interest enough for this I may inquire about increasing the barrel size to incorporate 2 or even 3 cr-123's. We'll see. I know that the group seems to lean towards cr-123's but I figured I'd try for a bit skinny'r first.

i'd be in for 2-3 of them, depending on when you start doing it. hell if it's after the holidays, well lets jsut say you and senkat would be getting alot of business if I have my way =)

I prefer CR123's

S

SenKat

Archane - I am with you on the preference...both for your business, AND for the CR123's LOL !!

:)

$30... im in if i can find the monies!!! for at least one.
so, should i buy this, or some cool stuffs off DX for $30...
Sounds GREAT but i'd love pix or CADs.

k-9

i ll be in for 1 keep us posted on them