Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun, impractical, uses for lasers!

Ashton

I'm sure we can all think of uses for high-pwoered lasers that are rediculous but fully possible! here are my ideas:

Laser toaster!
Instead of heating elements, a laser will lightly toast your bread!

Laser cutter: no more clipping coupons with those rusty blades, this high-pwoered laser will cut much more precicely!

Laser powered water heater: just turn it on and it will heat up the water in the tank!

Anyone else got some insane and fun uses for lasers? Remember the key word ehre is IMPRACTICAL! lol

given the inefficiency of lasers these days, i'd say just about any use is 'impractical' :p

here's my list;

- multiple laser pointers that fill up space on my 'useless gadget shelf'.

- Laser car fog lights. (they may not work well, but UUUber coolness value!)

- lasers + motion sensors to 'zap' bugs before they can crawl under the door (also unwelcome visitors)

- lasers that shine into a diffuser that lights the rest of the room with the diffused/reflected light

at least that's what i'd do with my 'high pwoered' (as per previous post) lasers.

tracking chip on remote control for TV, laser that points to it if you lose your remote!! :D (or car keys, or credit card, or.....)

Forget microwave ovens.. Let's make laser ovens.

Laser shaver

Laser lawn mower

Laser hedge trimmer

Laser table saw...

Pretty much any garage cutting implement.. ad laser to the name.

JECS

they do use them to cut metal and other things... so thats not so impractical.

Why use turning signals when driving when you can use laser beams instead?

cdanjo

I drew up plans for a laser lawn mower when I was 10. I didn't have the laser, though! I'm sure it would need to be in the few-watts range to cut fast enough. Plus it has to be a color readily absorbed by green grass, so NOT green! I think red and infrared would be fine.

so you'd have an intense red glow from the bottom of the lawnmower? hehehe... when i was a little girl i used to worry because i thought that every time a scientist fired a laser (i only knew of the pulsed ruby rod types), that the beam would burn a hole through the lab wall, then trees outside, and any people in it's path, and keep going on forever and ever, burning anything in it's path...

Ashton

when i was a little girl i used to worry because i thought that every time a scientist fired a laser that the beam would burn a hole through the lab wall, then trees outside, and any people in it's path, and keep going on forever and ever, burning anything in it's path...

Seen the movie "Real Geniouses" a few too many times, have you? lol

That's what I was going to write about too!
The popcorn house was helarious. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

marianne said:
so you'd have an intense red glow from the bottom of the lawnmower? hehehe... when i was a little girl i used to worry because i thought that every time a scientist fired a laser (i only knew of the pulsed ruby rod types), that the beam would burn a hole through the lab wall, then trees outside, and any people in it's path, and keep going on forever and ever, burning anything in it's path...

i use to have the same idea i think i got it from congo lol

my idea just came from my ickle kid brain extrapolating on what i'd heard about how lasers work hehe...and now if i see a movie with a laser beam visible in space it bugs me, or that resident evil (i think?) film where bright cyan beams chop up a guy - to be that power level, surely just the diffused light would have blinded and burnt the guy before the beams ever touched him!