Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Nice Knife Price Dropped, 650nm Laser

IsaacT

Whoa 488nm? Any idea on beam specs? Power output? That pen host is sweet. I might be interested in buying it 🍻
Not sure what any measurements are. When setting it up I focused the lens down to the best spot I could get out at 60 feet and in practice that appears to have worked very well as it looks pretty tight at night pointing up or at a distant house. As far as power goes, I’ll just say that it is bright enough that I wasn’t comfortable using it as a presentation laser. Great looking beam at night or in a dim room.

Well, I've actually never heard about this diode before until now haha. I assume it has a rectangular beam? Is there a cylindrical lens on it to correct the fast/slow axis divergence? Or what lens are you using? Any idea what driver?

GSS

My 2 488's show a spot on the wall from 5 to 20 feet. One has a G2 and the other is in a Techhood labby and I don't know what lens is in it.

The beam looks like it has that fast/slow axis from the start a tiny but it's tamed by the time it hits the wall. The only issue is the G2 leaves a box reflection around the spot. The plastic lenses do tame that box reflection well though. Even a 3 element does but at a power loss.
I'm sure i'm just repeating what you have read already Hwang,;) but to see it in hand that 488 color is awesome..

Hi,
Yes 488's are awesome Wave Length I so many builds for customer and they were always pleased. 3 and 2 element lenses and acrylic lens tame the box reflection well enough.
Rich:)

@IssacT, do you have any pictures of the dot (preferably at varying distances)? I think I'm sold, pending some pics 😁 I've been spoiled by DPSS and gas lasers, I'm used to 0.8mm TEM00 gaussian intensity dots :cool: I haven't messed with boxy diode laser outputs since the A140/M140...

IsaacT

@IssacT, do you have any pictures of the dot (preferably at varying distances)? I think I'm sold, pending some pics 😁 I've been spoiled by DPSS and gas lasers, I'm used to 0.8mm TEM00 gaussian intensity dots :cool: I haven't messed with boxy diode laser outputs since the A140/M140...

This is the best I could get using a really low exposure setting on my camera. I had never actually seen the box before so that was interesting. Normally the dot is bright enough that I don't see the box reflection. The following images were taken at approximately 2 feet, 6 feet, and 45 feet.

8JhT6NV.jpg

ZuaN1SR.jpg

jR3yvpE.jpg

I have a 488nm Sharp diode build that actually measures 488nm exactly at 135 mW. I believe I used an acrylic lens on that one. It worked well for the rectangular artifact while not reducing the power as much as multi-element lenses.

Reactions: GSS

IsaacT

How much power did the acrylic rob over a G2 Paul?

There is a thread floating around that has those numbers. As I recall it wasn’t a large amount which is why my primary concern was keeping a clean beam. Here is what DTR sent me in answer to my question:

“DTR” said:
3. Between the 2E-G and the acrylic, which one eliminates artifacts/splash the best?
The 2E-G is really awesome on that diode. Cleans it up really well.🍺