Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Ultrafire SS C3 kit

SOLD SOLD
I've got two of these available. These are the stainless steel ultrafire cree c3 hosts. They take 1x14500 (AA sized) battery.
I made a couple modifications to the host.
-
I stripped the stock driver
Drill the top of the pill to open it up for the flex/microboost drive.
I also replaces the GITD tailcap with a black tailcap.
I felt the black looked better, but i will be including the GITD tail cap in case you want to swap them out. You can use the spare as a lens cover.....

this kit is intended for a microboost or flex drive driven by 1x14500 battery.
if your intending on building a 445nm laser, you'll only achieve around 700mW, depending on the battery you have...
kit includes:
modified host (stripped driver,drilled pill,black rubber tailcap)
Custom aluminum heat sink with 1 set screw
GITD stock tailcap cover
hex key
FlaminPyro silicone wires

Asking $30 shipped. I have 2 of these available.
uf1.jpg

uf2.jpg

uf3.jpg

Last edited:

Is it not capable of housing 2 rcr123's?

For future reference, RCR123As are denoted as 16340s on the ANSI dimensions chart. Disregarding the tolerance specification 16340s are dissimulated as 16mm x 34mm 0 = cylindrical. 14500s represents the same ANSI dimension for an AA cell. 14mm x 50mm 0 = cylindrical.

Upon further investigation it is not difficult to achieve the conclusion that 16340s are 2mm wider than 14500s. Two in series would form a footprint of approximately 16mm x 68mm, which would be 18mm too long. Unless further investigation of the host is conducted and that enlarging the battery cavity is deemed capable, its what it is, a single AA host.

10440 = "AAA"
14500 = "AA"
16340 = "rcr123A"
17670, 18650, etc are other various sizes, but for the three first terms are used quite commonly and should be noted for their respected sizes. cheerio :)

bhwollen, not likely, depending on the current load of your driver it may be applicable to use a simple step-up circuit to attain the desired voltage requirements, but take note that the current sourced from the 14500 cell may be unusually high. So should you consider the route choose your cell chemistry accordingly.

Last edited:

emgbtg

For future reference, RCR123As are denoted as 16340s on the ANSI dimensions chart. Disregarding the tolerance specification 16340s are dissimulated as 16mm x 34mm 0 = cylindrical. 14500s represents the same ANSI dimension for an AA cell. 14mm x 50mm 0 = cylindrical.

Upon further investigation it is not difficult to achieve the conclusion that 16340s are 2mm wider than 14500s. Two in series would form a footprint of approximately 16mm x 68mm, which would be 18mm too long. Unless further investigation of the host is conducted and that enlarging the battery cavity is deemed capable, its what it is, a single AA host.

10440 = "AAA"
14500 = "AA"
16340 = "rcr123A"
17670, 18650, etc are other various sizes, but for the three first terms are used quite commonly and should be noted for their respected sizes. cheerio :)

bhwollen, not likely, depending on the current load of your driver it may be applicable to use a simple step-up circuit to attain the desired voltage requirements, but take note that the current sourced from the 14500 cell may be unusually high. So should you consider the route choose your cell chemistry accordingly.

Thanks for the info! :yh:

rhd

Those are the only 14250 rechargeables I've ever been able to find online

* Apart from someone on CPF who apparently sells them - but I haven't been ambitious enough to sign up over there just to purchase batteries, plus, I remember his prices being just as outrageous for these tiny cells as LightHound.

Why not grab these hosts from Moh and do a boost driver based build with one cell?

I'm really stocked up on linear drivers at the moment. And my flexdrives have been taking forever to arrive. :yabbmad:
Those are the only 14250 rechargeables I've ever been able to find online

* Apart from someone on CPF who apparently sells them - but I haven't been ambitious enough to sign up over there just to purchase batteries, plus, I remember his prices being just as outrageous for these tiny cells as LightHound.

Why not grab these hosts from Moh and do a boost driver based build with one cell?

bhwollen, actually YES!

You can use 2x of these AW 14250 Unprotected Rechargeable Lithium Battery

You'll achieve somewhere around ~8V

wow.... um, huh, well you could in theory
While the voltage of Li-ions are more stable over time than single use lithium cells... they do sag as they go like any battery chemistry as its remaining capacity diminishes under load.

While CCV is dependent on its load current, the Battery voltage (OCV) to capacity is approximated as follows [this applies to 18650s, for 14250s the drop may be more logarithmic than linear.]
4.20-----100%
4.06-----90%
3.98-----80%
3.92-----70%
3.87-----60%
3.82-----50%
3.79-----40%
3.77-----30%
3.74-----20%
3.68-----10%
3.45-----5%
3.00-----0%

If this were to hold true in 14250s, then to maintain Vseries = 8v, only 10% of the cell capacity can be exhausted before the cell sags below 8V. If such demand were to occur only 30mah per cell is expendable. Its not difficult to understand its limited application in this perspective.
However, if your driver operates at ~8V but has a voltage overhead of 9V, it would be perfect for short expeditions. Do take note that these cells are unprotected, so take proper charging and handling procedures to ensure your personal safety should overcharge or overdischarge may occur [3.00V per cell = 0% capacity]

Disclaimer: In order to attain more accurate readings, a coulomb meter is required. I did not collect this data, I'm not sure where it came from but I've used it to gauge my own Li-ion collection when the time comes to charge them for several years. Knowing approximately what its remaining capacity is on top of knowing the chargers charge rate it yields a reasonable estimate on how long it may take. This minimizes the risk that an unprotected cell may be left in a poorly regulated charger for an extended duration without bearing precedence of indication short of an explosion.