Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Tripod Mounting & Heatsinks for Ophir Sensors (New Model: The Ultimate Ophir HS)

FS: Tripod Mounting & Heatsinks for Ophir Sensors (New Model: The Ultimate Ophir HS)

Hi,

I had a customer ask me to make a mounting base for his Ophir Sensor that would allow him to mount it onto a tripod, so I figured since I have the drawing now, I might as well offer them for everyone.

Here is the sensor it works with:
Ophir_zps4d5541be.jpg

Mount:
OPHIR_TRIPOD_BASE_zps22ca32a6.jpg

Heatsink:
OPHIR_HEATSINK_zps9ef6c11f.jpg

Assembly:
OHPIR_W_HEATSINK_BASE_zps0b17a8a9.jpg

OHPIR_W_HEATSINK_BASE_0_zpsf6ba96b2.jpg

The mount will be $23ea shipped, the heatsink will also be $23ea, and will include the mounting screws to mount the base or heatsink to the sensor. Bulk discounts available.

The base and heatsinks mount to the side of the sensor, so the sensor will be sitting on its side, not really a problem though. Both are 38mm x 34mm x 12.7mm.

A hole can also be added to the side of the base so the sensor can be kept in its normal orientation.

Wrap Around Heatsink & Mount
M4X20_FHCS_zpsa518cfb5.jpg

M4X20_FHCS_0_zpsfa1fc827.jpg

This one is $50 shipped with the screws. Has the 1/4-20 hole in the bottom to mount onto a tripod, and heatsinking fins on the sides.

New Model:

I have a new model available now. It uses larger aluminum then we stock, so I am currently ordering one piece that I should be able to get 4 maybe 5 parts out of. The price is $90 shipped each. Every assembly will come will all required hardware as well as being lightly polished. The bottom block has a hole for a tripod mount, and 4 holes to attach to the top part. The top part is finned on all 3 sides and wraps around the ophir sensor. All screw holes are counterbored so that there are no screws sticking out. (The heatsink can sit flat on a surface on any side)

Here are some renderings:

These assemblies are going to have a lot of thermal mass, and will let you run your ophir at high powers and also offer the tripod mount.

Last edited:

Re: FS: Tripod Mounting Bases for Ophir Sensors

Bump!! these will be great for getting the sensor off the table and what have you, as well as the heatsinking properties.

Re: FS: Tripod Mounting Bases for Ophir Sensors

I could also make a heatsink that would go on the other side then (top).

Re: FS: Tripod Mounting Bases for Ophir Sensors Pics Added

Pictures added as well as prices.

Pman

Is the mount wide enough for you to add an additional screw hole for the tripod on the bottom so it could still be held in its normal position? In other words, the Ophir would still be upright but held to the side of the tripod.
Oh, and this is a great idea:)

Last edited:

Sorry, I misunderstood what your question was, yes the material is thick enough to pick the hole in the side as well. :beer:

Edit: It would have to be a bit off center though because the hole for the tripod would interfere with the mounting hole.

Last edited:

Pman

Re: FS: Tripod Mounting Bases & Heatsinks for Ophir Sensors Pics Added

Like the pic #2 and #3 full slotted full width design where the screws are set in combined with the Wraparound heatsink and mount design so you get everything. Maybe have it so that the depth stops before going over the removable back plate.
Unsure of whether a top finned section matters or not as I have never opened mine or seen factory specs or pics of a proper heatsink. Don't know how the sensor is sinked to the case as is.
Anyone ever open theirs for a peek inside? Feel a bit edgy about doing it. Don't know if you would mess up the factory calibration by opening the front if you can't see what you need to from the back plate.
The drawings are just fantastic to really see everything. They are MUCH apreciated:thanks:

Last edited:

one little thing to point out in your rendering is that the mounting screws are set closest to the sensor opening and not the rear. i don't think this will matter but just noticed it.

Pman

awillis is correct. Just looked at mine. Was going to take the back plate off of mine and take a look but got busy doing other things and have to leave for work. Need to lnow how the sensor is heatsinked inside for the best results.

All the mass/fins are concentrated toward the front where the sensor is. Wouldn't that be the area that would heat up first? I'm not sure of how the inside is heatsink though.

Wow this would be great with my new build :) I think i'll get one when i sell my other unit :beer:

I had a feeling you where going to want one.

lol am i that predictable? :na:

Well I wanted one so I figured you might too so I told mike that others might as well and he replied that he had just started the tread.

Pman

Yeah, it's something alot of us are going to want.
Just pulled the back off but you really can't see anything as far as heatsink goes.
Surprised at just how deep the heatsink screw holes are drilled into the unit.
Mrcrouse do you have a sensor on hand?
Anyone done a temp. measurement around their Ophir?

Last edited:

Unfortunately I do not have this sensor.