Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 5-7mW 635nm build. Donation to COCI - fundraising auction.

Hello everyone from LPF. I hope this isn't considered spamming but I currently wish to auction off a 5-7mW 635nm laser of which ALL funds (not PROFIT, but all funds) go towards COCI - Cherish Our Children International. I will include some information about COCI after this first post.

Why am I doing this?
To tell you the truth, I've never done many charitable things in my life, and I've never had a job before, so I guess I've never had any money go towards anything selfless. A few friends from school have been working hard to try and raise money for COCI, and I want to try and help them out (aside from me giving a few dollars here and there). Therefore, I am auctioning off this laser, and ALL the money will go towards COCI (I will cover the shipping charges myself). If you want some info about COCI, you may go to their website http://www.cherishourchildren.org/

In addition, the money will be collected through http://www.firstgiving.com/statenislandtech , where you can enter your name, and then under comments please write (LPF - Alexizupinhea, so I get SOME credit towards donating - donating the laser - and so I know that you paid).

Also, if the winner of the auction chooses not to give money through firstgiving.com (you need to use credit card directly), then please send payment through paypal (add $1 or $2 towards fees), and I will send the payment on firstgiving.com under your name, so you may see your donation went through.

Lastly, I doubt anyone will... but if anyone chooses to donate even a FEW dollars to COCI through firstgiving.com/statenislandtech , I would really appreciate it, and you'd be helping out a great cause (once again, if payment is an issue, I can convert a PayPal payment, or maybe even a Google Checkout payment towards COCI).

Ok, so here's the pics:

IMG_0229.jpg

Comparing 5-7mW 635nm (left) to 5mW standard red (right). Also, please note that in real life, I think (and others may back up) that 635nm is noticably different in color (I think it's clearly orangish, although some may say more red than orange) and that it does look brighter than the 5mW red (the red is slightly unfocused - can't be focused, and the 635nm is focused).

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

As can be seen, this laser isn't PERFECT - it does have some super glue, as can be seen, on the top right.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

(Last two pics were a little blurry, I have a shaky hand). :)

Oops, almost forgot, here's another two pics:
IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

These are before and after of shining the laser as a stop sign approx. 100m away (stop sign is on top right incase you can't see it).

Edit: I found a better picture online showing the difference between 635nm and 650/660nm:
dotshot.jpg

Last edited:

I will start the auction off as low as $5. I plan on doing the auction public, but if anyone has a problem with that, please tell me.

I forgot to include some specs, but I can't really think of any. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. The laser will NOT come with batteries (I don't have any spare - only 4 total for ALL of my lasers), but it takes 2x 10440 batteries (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.974) and is in this host: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.46

Also, as said before, here is some info about COCI directly from their website (I hope I'm allowed to post this here):

In 1993, Juli Hall of Houston, Texas was moved to ease the plight of Romanian orphans abandoned after the fall of the brutal Ceausescu regime. She established Cherish Our Children International (COCI) as a non-profit organization to sponsor and implement model programs that now benefit thousands of children around the world. Today, more than a decade later, the need has not lessened; it is greater than ever. War and genocide have created hundreds of thousands of helpless orphans and destroyed educational opportunities, even for children who remain with their families.

Our Values
Cherish Our Children International believes that all children should be protected and nurtured.
We believe in providing children with a solid foundation for healthy physical, intellectual, and emotional development.
We value enriching experiences that teach critical life skills and lead to independence.
We value young people as leaders and are committed that they have real opportunities to contribute in the world.
We believe in children helping other children.
We honor adults who embrace and empower young people to reach beyond their current experience and realize their dreams.
Our Vision
We stand for a world in which each child has the opportunity to live life fully and to make their unique contribution.

Our Mission
To develop and fund projects and programs that provide a brighter future for the world's most vulnerable children.

And here's their 2008-2009 objectives:

COCI expects to expand its support in 2009 to vulnerable children in Kenya, Romania, Serbia, Israel, Mexico and the United States.

Serbia

Provide transportation to institutionalized and disabled children to educational, recreational, and cultural activities. COCI is working to re-open a Kindergarten and to establish a Resource Center at the school to provide services for all special needs children in the County of Kostajnica.

Romania

Continue development of a farm where Romanian street children can live, be educated and learn agricultural skills in a safe, nurturing environment.

Provide food, medicine, and counseling to 40 desperately poor families with HIV positive children in rural Romania, and facilitate their integration into the community through educating the general public on the nature of the disease.

Kenya

Provide sole support to Children First, a daycare facility serving 17 resident orphans, over 125 children in the pre-school program and 26 outreach homestead caring for over 60 orphans. In addition to having their basic needs met, the children receive medical attention, attend classes and participate in gardening in a family like setting.

Nigeria

Provide the children of the Lagos Home for Motherless Babies with the basic necessities of life.

Israel

Expand Bridge to Peace, a program operating in 80 poverty stricken areas that has significantly improved relations between Arab and Jewish children through participation in a soccer program that promotes teamwork.

Mexico

Provide needed assistance to children in the impoverished village of La Calichera in Reynosa, Mexico by funding classrooms and providing educational materials for the existing school.

USA
Provide educational programs and counseling in Houston for children of incarcerated parents

Hey man, it's a small world. I see that the site includes Staten Island Tech. Do you go there? I went to Monsignor Farrell I'm sure you know of it. Anyways let me know because it'd be nice to know someone around town who likes lasers as well.

P.S. sorry if it's off topic a bit

Yea I go to Staten Island Tech. And yeah, of course I know farrell. lol, small world. My dad went there, many, many years ago. Also many of my friends from elementary and middle school go there now too. Yeah, like you said, "it's nice to know someone around town who likes lasers as well". Also, you still live on the island or you moved?

Nice laser you have their, looks like the pocket mini Jay sells, going to a good cause, I might bid on it, moneys really tight though, bills coming up.

Yea still live there but am currently at Stony Brook University so I'm back and forth

Nice laser you have their, looks like the pocket mini Jay sells, going to a good cause, I might bid on it, moneys really tight though, bills coming up.

No problem. If this goes well, I might end up trying to make a few more, maybe slightly better made. I still have a few diodes left, but trying to fit everything in w/ an LM317 is a little hard to do. And remember, bidding is only starting at $5.

Also, I forgot to say, it is only a washer heatsink but, I still think that's sufficient. I don't really think it gets hot ever although, I've probably never used it for several minutes straight (I prob have a duty cycle of 1-2min on ALL my lasers).

Yeah, you should be fine, It's only 5mW, I hear ya on those LM317's, You could get a flxdrive instead, you could make a smaller build with them as the flxdrive's voltage input is 2.5-5.5.

About the difference of 635nm and 650nm, it is noticeable. You might have to squint your eyes a little, but there is a big difference!