Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 14650 (OR 14500) Mini Mag kits for 445, 405 etc

Well KipKay will surely love this kit! I happened to come across a massive amount of Mini Mag's recently so I will be selling them as a host kit.

Kit comes with the host color of your choice (TerraLux tail switch only comes in black), TerraLux tail switch, machined spacer for 14650 battery, an additional spacer to stack if you wish to use a 14500 battery, battery contact pill, O-ring to hold everything together, and a heatsink.

I have been asked why a 14650 battery? Well, you get 1600mAh vs 900mAh with a 14500. The size difference between the two batteries is 15mm. I AM NOW OFFERING A 15MM SPACER IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL SPACER AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO YOU IF YOU WISH TO USE A 14500 RATHER THAN A 14650!

Also, let me tell you these TerraLux tail switches are awesome. VERY firm press action on the button. No more twisting the head for power on/off. Just depress the switch!

Maglite is iconic in America for their lights (not their power though :D) and now you can have a proper build inside of one! Heck, I may even send one to KipKay if I can find his mailing address :whistle:.

The build is very straight forward. Contact pill can be cut for driver insertion, or driver can fit inside of hollow machined spacer. Ground can either come from the diode case pin (you'll have to clean off the anodizing inside the head) or from the battery pill to spacer (preferred method).

componants.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

These are VERY nice in black!

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

Price is $40 plus S&H of $4.00. If you already have a Mini Mag and want just the parts to DIY, I will sell the heatsink, spacer, o-ring and TerraLux switch for $30.

Here are the available color options:

Maglite%20colors.jpg

PLEASE keep in mind when choosing a color that the TerraLux tail switch ONLY comes in black!

More info to come later this evening. All you must remember is Maglite rocks, I have an almost endless supply of any standard color that you want, and, YOU WANT/NEED ONE OF THESE!

Last edited:

Re: FS: 14650 Mini Mag kits for 445, 405 etc

do they come ready

Last edited:

Nice little kits there, just might have to get myself one.
Still need to pay for some other thing though first!;)

Do these really use 14650 battery or 14500?
I'm wondering why not just use 14500 batteries since it's already made for AA batteries.

Do these really use 14650 battery or 14500?
I'm wondering why not just use 14500 batteries since it's already made for AA batteries.

I haven't seen these batteries before, but like the 1600mAh capacity of them for sure. Seems that they are at least close enough to the size of the 14500's that they might work.

Moh, I used a 14650 in order to get an extra 700mAh (1600 vs 900). I am going to edit the main post right now to also include a second spacer which will be 15mm long. That way if you wish to use a 14500, you can just stack the two spacers and apply a bit of thermal epoxy and you're up and running (but with less run TIME ;) )

hi iam new and looking for a laser and am interested in yours could you ship it to the uk? and do i have to build it myself? thanks in advance

Yes, you will need a diode, driver and a battery. Shipping to UK is ok, but I require an additional $5 for doing so.

Do you sell them complete so i just need to put batteries in it if not where can i buy the stuff for it

DTR

Maybe if you had two of them in series with a linear driver. Those are LiFeP04's that means they are 3.2V with a fully charged voltage of 3.6V and 2.4V when empty. I did not see a max discharge rate but I will go out on a limb and say that @ 2.4V-3.6V the dual flexdrives would be trying to pull too much current in its efforts to supply 1.6A and boosting from 3.6V-2.2V to and output of say 4.6V. Not If did somehow work without going above the max discharge rate they would drain to empty extremely quick given their lower starting capacity and the much higher current draw due to boosting. I just would not think they are a good match with a boost driver for the 445.:beer:

I also have some Mitisubishi 14650's that I think state they are 1200mAh but they can only handle a Flexdrive set to 1.5A.

Last edited:

rhd

I think LifePo4 cells in the 14500 to 18650 range are something crazy like 15C usually. I've seen 18650 cells that say they'll deliver 18A +.

I follow you on the capacity concern, but I've always thought LifePo4 were essentially way above anything we'd ever need in terms of current supply?

Last night I blew up a Cree XM-L emitter by wiring it to a 130mAh Lipo RC helicopter battery (the tinyiest Lipo battery I've ever seen). That emitter can handle 3A of current!

DTR

I think LifePo4 cells in the 14500 to 18650 range are something crazy like 15C usually. I've seen 18650 cells that say they'll deliver 18A +.

I follow you on the capacity concern, but I've always thought LifePo4 were essentially way above anything we'd ever need in terms of current supply?

Last night I blew up a Cree XM-L emitter by wiring it to a 130mAh Lipo RC helicopter battery (the tinyiest Lipo battery I've ever seen). That emitter can handle 3A of current!

I have seen ones with 40A discharge but that is a pretty small cell and looks kind of cheap as well. I would think if it did work you would be looking at around 10 minutes before needing a recharge if their capacity is not overstated which a lot of batteries from Chinese sellers are.;)

Nice little kits there, just might have to get myself one.
Still need to pay for some other thing though first!;)

Just let me know when you're ready for one and which color you'd like. These kits will not be going away anytime soon unless they just don't sell.

Do you sell them complete so i just need to put batteries in it if not where can i buy the stuff for it

No Jim, they do not. However, DTR will gladly provide you with a diode set in a module with leads soldered to a flexdrive with current preset. If you go this route, you will need only solder TWO WIRES to the host. Done. Send me a PM if you have any more questions.

FYI-klipklay is a member here.

In general we dont take to him very much-- he has become more ssfety concious of late but there was a time when he did not seem to either care or know much about safe laser use and building ... also some felt he stole the ideas of others claiming them to be his own.

also until just lately the use of mag lites for lasers was pretty much considered a joke. this too has changed especially not having to deal with twist on twist off.

GL with your kits-- always great to see new ideas. just not from KK.(check his record making rep---lol)

hak