Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

? from a newbie on a laser setup

My ? is this. i need a setup for an agricultural use. i need it for a marker for row corps. it needs to be bright enough to be seen in the day light pointed at the ground but not strong enough to burn the plants in the field. also it needs to be able to run for 6 to 7 hours with no down time. it would be nice if it can be ran off of a 12 volt power supply that is on the tractor (cig. lighter plug). one more thing it will mounted is the cab and shine through the glass of the cab. so with that being said can this be done or am i dreaming. any help with this will be a life saver for me. like i said i know nothing about lasers that way i am asking you good folks for help.

thanks

Morgan

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All of your design criteria can be achieved but it's not totally clear what the laser will be used for. Is it to use as a guide line to follow wheel tracks for ploughing/harvesting in straight lines?

I would think that visible beams in daylight and a cab full of glass may present safety issues but a clearer idea of the application would help those that can help you.

Funny too is the idea of lasers havesting, as opposed to harvesting lasers!!! (Sorry wwwcpefc. Others here might find that comment amusing!)

M

i am always good for a laugh. i need the beam to hit the ground and make a dot so i can use it only as a reference point to drive by. i can mount it out side the cab if it is a safety thing but i figured the drit might not be good for it.

thanks

A 12 volt labby at 532nm's could probably be mounted OUTSIDE of the cab & used that way ??????

what would this labby cost me? is it small like a drink can or lager and bulkly like a one gallon milk jug?

Depends on how far of a distance you need to be able to see the beam, but for a mile or so would most likely cost under $500.00..................rob

it will shine striaght down maybe 5 feet or so. i dont need to see the beam itself i only need to see the dot on the ground.

Google up Deal Extreme, & look for the 5mW Green Lab Style Lasers. Under $50.00

will it do all the things i need to do. and round off my 12 volt plug.

thanks for the info.

wwwcpefc;

I would use a little stonger green.

About 50mw should be sufficient.

A pointer takes 3VDC which you can get from the 12 VDC of the battery.

I have several 12VDC cigarette lighter power supplies which drop down to 3VDC.

Hook those two up for about $40 total + mounting hardware/wire and your good to go.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
do you have web page for what i need all this things seem the same to me.
thanks for the help

Are you in the US? If so, you can't import lasers into the US from Dealextreme
You'll need a FDA certified laser, and that means a higher price.

Morgan

Check out the, "Companies", section of the forum and you should get a good handle on what, where, why and whom.

As to the FDA, (of course at this point we haven't established where you are), have a look at this link:- http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=38284 Pay particular attention to Frothy Chimp's post, (very knowledgeable chap. He's a scientist don't you know.), after that it gets a bit political but it will give you a good idea.

If you're happy to have a mess and try to build a unit yourself then I'd go down that route. Cheaper and more fun. I would agree with LarryDFW about 50mW being a good start. On a day with bright sunlight, 5mW might not be enough. O-like seems to be a favourite for modules, (the bit that actually produces the light), but you will need to think about protecting your eyes whilst building. From there you just need to get rid of the heat, (big block of metal!), and power it. Mounting inside the cab wouldn't be a problem if the beam is covered right up to the window. It's the reflections that you need to irradicate unless you want to drive in laser goggles!

I think I may have over simplified there but have a cruise around the forum and you should find all the info you need.

Also check out the DIY section.

M

*Edit* Post 100! Yay!

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is seeing this... or did I take a wrong turn somewhere...

I live in an agricultural (corn, soybean, wheat) area and have ridden on some
of the tractors here while they are planting seed.. It is not as smooth a ride
as you would think (not sitting in the driver's hydraulic suspension seat)..

To mount a laser on that tractor that shines a "dot" 5 feet in front of the tractor
will.. in my mind... shine all over the place with the movement oscillations of said
tractor... You would get the same result placing a 5 foot stick out the front of
the tractor..

The bigger farm tractor operators in this area use a GPS System to keep the rows
straight.
Without GPS... you would need a reference point at the far side of the field to
continuously aim the tractor towards...

Using a laser mounted to a tractor... you would need the laser mounted to a
Gyroscope...(my Idea J.BAUER Electronics)...to always point in the same
direction while the tractor bounces over the field..

Jerry

Oh.

:banghead:

How about a single projector headlight on the front of the tractor with a retroreflector target at the end of the row? That way, the reflector is only "lit up" when the tractor is pointed straight at it.

Would that work?:thinking:

Well wwwcpefc, looks like ya have a wide variety of suggestions to chose from. All ya need to do now is choose which one best fits your needs, buy the parts, & hook up & mount everything. If ya get stuck with that part, I'm sure one or more of us Members will be willing to help you figure out what your problem is. Good Luck & Happy Farming, rob