Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free Home Made Fog Machine - Work in Progress

So I finally had a bit of time to tinker with my "fog machine". It's basically a espresso machine that will be cut up... rewired and placed into an enclosure to make a budget (almost free) fog machine for use with lasers and other special effects.

So with out further ado... this is what I have done so far.

*More updates to come*

Last edited:

Cool. Never even thought about using something like that for a fog machine!

I suggest leaving the coffee bean part so ur smoke will smells like coffee

A similar thread for this topic recently appeared over on PL.
As much as you creativity & ingenuity are recognized you need to do some very important research into the processes of creating "fog".
If you use any of the commercially available fluids for creating the effect there are serious side effects from even slightly changing the conditions for creating the "fog".
Any of the glycol based fluids break down into extremely nasty substances that will cause serious damage to your respiratory system if they are overheated by just a few degrees when creating your "fog" !
This is why most machines have that problem of cooling down when used. It's not that they couldn't be hotter and keep boiling off the fluid when applied, its that if it is too hot when you start the fluid is broken down into harmful substances that shouldn't be inhaled/breathed-in by anybody.
Check out the dangers carefully before you continue, please. I have a destroyed respiratory system (from auto painting) and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to suffer through what I deal with on a regular basis.

A similar thread for this topic recently appeared over on PL.
As much as you creativity & ingenuity are recognized you need to do some very important research into the processes of creating "fog".
If you use any of the commercially available fluids for creating the effect there are serious side effects from even slightly changing the conditions for creating the "fog".
Any of the glycol based fluids break down into extremely nasty substances that will cause serious damage to your respiratory system if they are overheated by just a few degrees when creating your "fog" !
This is why most machines have that problem of cooling down when used. It's not that they couldn't be hotter and keep boiling off the fluid when applied, its that if it is too hot when you start the fluid is broken down into harmful substances that shouldn't be inhaled/breathed-in by anybody.
Check out the dangers carefully before you continue, please. I have a destroyed respiratory system (from auto painting) and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to suffer through what I deal with on a regular basis.

Wow thanks for the heads up! :beer:

I will look into that very closely. I know there is also a glucose based fog juice which I suspect would be better on the body... Not to sure how well it will run through the machine though.

I haven't seen anything that actually is "glucose" based. (But I haven't looked too hard lately either.)
I think that this is a bad word substitution (translation error maybe ?) for glycol. The antifreeze related component that gives it a sweet aroma and taste that is the resulting cause of many painful animal deaths.
This is also a main ingredient in some "fog" fluids and the breakdown of the molecule from heating is a matter of great concern.
Particulate size is a big problem too as the smaller particles penetrate deeper into your lungs and can be absorbed into your bloodstream directly.
"Hazers" are strictly regulated to prevent the particles from being too small to prevent this problem.

So do the research. You don't want to screw up your breathing.

(BTW. I have a regular store bought type of fogger that I use occasionally, like just a couple of days ago, and luckily it doesn't bother me at all.)

A similar thread for this topic recently I have a destroyed respiratory system (from auto painting) and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to suffer through what I deal with on a regular basis.

Don't auto painters wear those gas masks to prevent destroying their respiratory systems?

ARG

So what is this like compared to a commercial flogger? I need to buy a fog machine one I have my laser projector done :)

Ethylene glycol is highly toxic, but propylene glycol is a common food additive. Fog fluid uses the latter.

Don't auto painters wear those gas masks to prevent destroying their respiratory systems?

Auto painters are SUPPOSED to wear them. I fought with the company and called the safety inspectors (WCB here in BC ) multiple times to complain about not having one too.
After 3 years and no compliance I left the company.
And I found out that 6 months later the company was finally fined for this and many other non-compliance issues that would have resulted in a huge sum to be paid. However, the company decided it would be cheaper to just pull out of Canada to be done with it. (They will paint any car for just $99.95 was their slogan at the time.)
Too bad I couldn't prove that I was healthy when I started working for them.(no complete medical exams documented.)
It only took 5 years to work the lead out of my system. (from the cleaners/thinners)
I hardly notice the nerve damage from the body putty fumes that weren't vented.
My joints are equivalent to an 80 yr old's.

But other than I'm doing pretty good !

Ethylene glycol is highly toxic, but propylene glycol is a common food additive. Fog fluid uses the latter.

So does that mean propylene glycol fog juice is fine to use in this application?

The normal store bought Glycerine has some helpful characteristics... such as

Boiling point 290 °C, 563 K, 554°F
Flash point 160 °C

Where as propylene glycol is like below

Boiling point 188.2 °C (370.8 °F)
FLASH POINT 130 C

It seems to have a relatively higher flash point, but its boiling point is alot higher then the propylene glycol's. Am I right in thinking at boiling point, this is where the chemicals break?

As far as I know the Glycerine + water mixture is fine to use. So I'm going to turn the thermostat way down... then run the mixture through the machine and slowly ramp the heat up until I get smoke out... That should be the most logical and safest way of doing it.

Thoughts?

Auto painters are SUPPOSED to wear them. I fought with the company and called the safety inspectors (WCB here in BC ) multiple times to complain about not having one too.
After 3 years and no compliance I left the company.
And I found out that 6 months later the company was finally fined for this and many other non-compliance issues that would have resulted in a huge sum to be paid. However, the company decided it would be cheaper to just pull out of Canada to be done with it. (They will paint any car for just $99.95 was their slogan at the time.)
Too bad I couldn't prove that I was healthy when I started working for them.(no complete medical exams documented.)
It only took 5 years to work the lead out of my system. (from the cleaners/thinners)
I hardly notice the nerve damage from the body putty fumes that weren't vented.
My joints are equivalent to an 80 yr old's.

But other than I'm doing pretty good !

I bet they didn't do a very good job for $100 other than killing their employees... I probably wouldn't stay with them if they wouldn't give me safety gear (or bring my own) they couldn't have been paying you very well either...

I always thought fog juice was glycerine based not glycol but my label seems to have mysteriously disappeared when I went to look (fog juice conglomerate ninjas?) I have a commercial unit but all I know if after a while the stuff gives you a sore throat and sore eyes it's not pleasant stuff.

I only use it occasionally inside and sometimes outside when it's calm :p