Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FREE Copy Machines lasers/optics. (pics in thread)

THIS is a notice for those interested in having some items shipped to you, please do the following:
VIA Private Message, indicate what item you would like, what carrier you would like to ship with, and any special instructions.  You must chose the carrier and speed at which you want the item delivered.   Be aware it can take up to a week for me to ship the item out to you.  I will let you know the weight prior to shipping.  

For those wondering from my post in the 'laser show' sub-forum, I decided that I would not be doing a laser show for my weekend DJ'ing.  I don't feel comfortable yet with lasers and I'd want to be comfortable with them before I started using them where they could potentially harm bystanders.

Anyway...My main job is as a copier/fax machine technician.  Why does this matter?  Well it doesn't, but the 'ah' factor is that the company I work for throws out 3-5 office-class copiers (like the Canon ImageRunner 3200 or the Savin 6010) a week.  Usually when a copier is near the end of it's life (1 million copies or so) we just toss them out.

Now, the reason I bring this up is when we 'scrap' these copiers, the company parts out the drums, fusers, corona assemblies, and duplex units.  They normally do NOT take out the laser assembly or any mirrors and/or optics.

Before I waste my time tearing down these copiers before they are tossed, would there be any reason or demand to try and save the lasers and/or optics (mirrors and such) before the copiers hit the very large garbage bin in the back of the store?  The reason I ask is that the lasers are normally 780nm (infrared) and around 5 mW.  Normally the canon's come with a polygon mirror (normally 4-6 faceted, 20mm or so).  Older Canon NP and IR models have a very nice optical mirror array, however with the advancements in CCD technology the current models normally do not have mirrors and the CCD scanner scans the originals directly from the copier's glass instead of using mirrors to redirect the image onto a fixed CCD (or directly onto the drum itself).

So, the long and short of it is, I work with a company that throws away office-class copy machines nearly daily.  They don't normally take the lasers assy's out or the optics out of the copiers before they are thrown away.  Would these optics/lasers be worth saving?

Would anyone care for some of these lasers/optics?  (You cover shipping costs and you can have them for free as far as I'm concerned)

Re: Canon/Savin Copy Machines and their lasers/opt

Can I have some pictures of the optics?
I may be interested...

The polygon mirrors and their associated motor would definitely be worth something. They are perfect for a simple laser sky effect.. If you pull one, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping. Also, as spiderz said, take some pictures of the entire laser-related section of the copier. there may be even more goodies in there.

If there is some first surface mirroirs, it could be even more interesting

Will do guys!  I'll make some photos at work today and post them around 6-7pm central daylight time.

Also, I forgot to mention that we also work on HP LaserJets, mainly the 4050 and 4250 models.  I'll get a photo of that laser assy as well.

Basically I have the ok to take any parts out of these machines that I want and do whatever I wish with them. I have explicit permission to harvest any mirrors, optics, lasers...whatever... and use the parts as I wish, or give them away. The only thing I can not do is ask for any money for these parts. If you feel generous, you can donate but I'm not expecting or wanting any money for this. Basically these items will be thrown out and my personal feeling is that instead of these parts being trashed, why not give them to people who can use these parts again.

Now given that, remember that these lasers have hundreds of thousands to millions of copies run on them. I take no responsibility if these burn out after you get them. Remember, these are used lasers from copy machines/laser printers that have been used in your standard office setting. The mirrors I will wrap in tissue and then bubble wrap before I send them out. Lasers will be packaged in anti-static bags. I can say that all the lasers will be tested here before being sent out so you shouldn't get a dud. I'll take pictures of the mirrors and laser assy's before I ship them out and include a copy of the pictures so you can see that if there are any damaged/scratched mirrors when you get them, you will know that they were fine when I sent them. Might be possible for the shipping company to cough up your shipping money if your mirrors are damaged, but I'll do my best to make sure they are packaged correctly (I do it for a living anyway...RMA's and such).

I'll post later tonight with pics so you have an idea what is available.

ElektroFreak said:
The polygon mirrors and their associated motor would definitely be worth something. They are perfect for a simple laser sky effect.. If you pull one, I'd be more than willing to cover shipping. Also, as spiderz said, take some pictures of the entire laser-related section of the copier. there may be even more goodies in there.

I have a nice small light-duty hexagon mirror (six sided) with motor from an HP 4250, and a large heavy-duty octagonal mirror with motor from a Canon 3000 series copier. Pics later tonight.

Sweet. I'd definitely be interested in either one. I'll wait for the pics..

Pics as promised...though it took me a little longer to post them because I couldn't find the converter for my microSD card.

Please excuse the quality.  I only had my cell phone's camera available.

Ok, first off we have an HP 4250 laser assembly:
0428091508a.jpg

You can see the small polygon mirror and motor assembly better in this picture.  The curvy optics just north of the mirror are made of a very hard, clear plastic, not glass, however the tiny square mirror in the top right corner in the previous photo is made out of glass.
0428091510.jpg

Moving on to the office copiers, here is part of a Savin 3500 series copier's mirror assembly:
0428091521.jpg

And a better look at the 'trailing' mirrors:
0428091515b.jpg

Here is the CCD assembly. Now I know most are not interested in CCDs, however, I thought someone might be interested in the glass lens in this assembly.
0428091523.jpg

The enclosed laser assembly:
0428091542.jpg

The opened assembly, with a close up of the laser and it's heat sink. This is a three pronged diode for those wondering.  If nothing else, the heat sink may be of some use to someone.
0428091547a.jpg

Here is the large, heavy-duty mirror I mentioned before.  I used my hand for scale. For comparison, the HP 4250 mirror in the first two photos are about the size of the inner ring of this mirror.
0428091550.jpg

And the motor used to run this mirror is VERY heavy and makes up most of the weight of the entire assembly.  Here is a shot of the bottom of the assembly.
0428091550a.jpg

Looking at the assemblies, I think that someone may find these perfect for a compact, single laser show encasement...or possibly just a self-contained assembly for a sky show?  Anyway, just replace the IR laser with your own laser, using the heat sink provided and you are perfectly aligned with the polygon mirror so no adjustments would be needed.  

Also, they state this is a dual-beam setup but I'm not sure if that means they are using a single laser diode and manipulating/splitting the beam, or if they are using two laser diodes.  It only looks as they are using one in this application, however in some of the bigger +60 pages/minute copiers, they do use dual, triple, or even quad diode setups.  I'll make sure to snag the laser out of one of those machines when we toss one out.

Oh, for those wondering what the small mirror at the top of the photo and the odd looking lens/circuit board is just to the left of the mirror in this photo:
0428091508a.jpg

That small mirror reflects laser light into a sensor (that vertical circuit board) that detects if the laser is working correctly or has failed.  Don't know if that is of any use to anyone but there it is.

just the mirror/motor assy. would be great! USPS would be perfect for shipping. I'll check back here for the weight.

Thanks again!
Pat

ElektroFreak said:
just the mirror/motor assy. would be great! USPS would be perfect for shipping. I'll check back here for the weight.

Thanks again!
Pat

Done deal!  I'll get the mirror/motor assy unscrewed from the laser assembly, wrapped up in bubble wrap and shipping peanuts, boxed in a small box for you and weighed.  I'll see if I can get a diagram or information on that motor for you so you know what the voltage and current requirements are and what each wire is used for.  (I'm almost certain it uses 24V DC but I may be wrong...I'll have to check the specs).

For those wondering this is NOT the only mirror/laser assy available of this type.  Just a sampling of one copier.  We have 15-20 currently waiting to get tossed out, so don't fret if you wanted one of these too.  

Pat, when you get this mirror/motor, please let us know how it works for you.  

Your welcome,
Brian

Xer0

Re: Canon/Savin Copy Machines lasers/optics (free!

hmhm... any idea of how much usps would charge to germany at this weight?

Are there any large cubes or beamsplitters?
I would also be interested in the assemblies you showed.

Spyderz20x6 said:
Are there any large cubes or beamsplitters?

Some of the big +60 copies/minute machines have some larger cubes than the ones shown here.  Those machines that use single diode, dual beam (SDDB) have a beamsplitter but they are rare beasts.  I'll see if we have any on the way out the door.

The assembly from a copier (laser, enclosure, polygon mirror and motor) normally is between 3-7lbs depending on if they use metal or hard plastics for the enclosure and the size of the polygon mirror's motor.  That should give you an idea for shipping.  For just the mirror/motor, you would be looking between 1-2lbs.  Shipping would be from the 58103 (Fargo, North Dakota) area code.

Xer0: Here is the USPS charges for a 5lbs package to Germany from Fargo, ND.  ~$40-$50 is what you would be looking at for shipping.  Now I'll need to get an exact weight for you for the parts but you would be looking at a package weight between 2-5lbs.  I'm not sure if any other service would be cheaper for you as I know this is expensive, but at least on the up side is the part itself will cost you nothing :)

bschott said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1240866321/0#12 date=1241027745]Are there any large cubes or beamsplitters?

Some of the big +60 copies/minute machines have some larger cubes than the ones shown here.  Those machines that use single diode, dual beam (SDDB) have a beamsplitter but they are rare beasts.  I'll see if we have any on the way out the door.

The assembly from a copier (laser, enclosure, polygon mirror and motor) normally is between 3-7lbs depending on if they use metal or hard plastics for the enclosure and the size of the polygon mirror's motor.  That should give you an idea for shipping.  For just the mirror/motor, you would be looking between 1-2lbs.  Shipping would be from the 58103 (Fargo, North Dakota) area code.

Xer0: Here is the USPS charges for a 5lbs package to Germany from Fargo, ND.  ~$40-$50 is what you would be looking at for shipping.  Now I'll need to get an exact weight for you for the parts but you would be looking at a package weight between 2-5lbs.  I'm not sure if any other service would be cheaper for you as I know this is expensive, but at least on the up side is the part itself will cost you nothing :)[/quote]
I'm in Washington state so shipping should be $6 max ;)
Could you do me a favor and find a big cube?