Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Freaking OWNED!

Finally, it's about time the truth got out!

-Mark

Attachments

• Wickedlasers_owned.jpg
    Wickedlasers_owned.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 284

ixfd64

Unfortunately, Wicked Lasers still seems to be more popular at the moment, though. :(

You should consider doing some laser giveaway contests; that should drive the sales right up. :D

Attachments

• graph_wl_lg-20090224.jpg
    graph_wl_lg-20090224.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 128

Justin

I've hidden a sale somewhere on the website but I'm not going to tell you where it is...   ;)

Maybe that will get some sales. The hunt is on!

^I found A sale, not sure if it's THE sale though.

Too bad it's not my market at the moment, though.
I'm in the market for the rarer colors instead of the higher powers, right now.

Benm

ben74 said:
Don't see NOVA though :(

Well.. perhaps they are smart enough not to spend a shitload of money on adwords? ;)

These listings have nothing to do with a superior product, only with paying google the highest amount per click - which usually relates more to the profit margin on a product than to its quality...

seoguy

I see that Wicked now "owns" that top ad - LaserGlow has now been relegated to the top-most ad on the right.

But Benm is right - those are PPC (Pay-Per-Click) ads, listed in order from the highest bidder down, that's how Google makes their $$$, as coming up in the regular listings is free. :)

For the actual search results Wicked is also coming up #1. But looking at their homepage, IMHO the HTML is somewhat sloppy, and not optimized all that well. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that their top ranking was due at least in part to their nice PageRank (PR5), that many of the links to them likely include their name in the link text, and the fact that those exact words are also their domain name!

But that search is returning only about 900K results here - not an impossible task SEO-wise.::) It might prove an interesting exercise if someone were to write a review page about them, optimize the hell out of it, and see if you could knock their site down to #2! ;)

Of greater interest is that I see they are also coming-up #1 for two searches which it appears to me they are directly targeting - green lasers and red lasers.

I also see another familiar face - DX is coming up right below them for red lasers in Google! Which is particularly ironic, given that DX will not sell good lasers to the US! :p

Justin said:
I've hidden a sale somewhere on the website but I'm not going to tell you where it is...   ;)

Maybe that will get some sales. The hunt is on!

Now I'm no expert on marketing, but it stands to reason that sales work better when they are posted in a very easy to find place.. Hiding the sale kinda defeats the purpose if you are using the sale to drum up new business..

I know it's not as fun as an "easter egg hunt"..

It's actually Optotronics and LaserGlow who got owned here -- Wicked got the #1 spot. They've probably hired someone to do some Search Engine Optimization on their behalf. The unfortunate (in this case) truth is that most people will trust a 'legitimate' result far more than an ad.

Wicked is by far the best when it comes to advertising, and that's why they can get away with overcharging. Chances are people are going to come across them first (as I did) and not look into other companies.

EDIT: Holy cow -- Wicked got the top 3 spots. That's quite impressive from an SEO standpoint.

seoguy

That's quite impressive from an SEO standpoint.

Not that impressive from where I sit, at least for searches for that domain name (for the reasons I already outlined in my previous post).

The unfortunate (in this case) truth is that most people will trust a 'legitimate' result far more than an ad.

Wicked is by far the best when it comes to advertising, and that's why they can get away with overcharging. Chances are people are going to come across them first (as I did) and not look into other companies.

Agreed. I believe I may have come up with a solution to that problem!... ;)

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1241185749

I am very interested in hearing everybody's feedback on this idea, particularly what searches you would like the new site to come up for?

lowell

A quick note on Wicked Lasers. I was similarly afflicted by their advertising. I came across them first, and bought a 125mW laser from them for $400! When I finally started doing some research, I realized how ridiculously over priced that was. Fortunately, it wasn't too late to return it, which is exactly what I did.

I have learned quite a bit about these online laser companies, through old fashioned trial and error. I bought a 400mW green pointer ($1375) from HighLasers.com. That ended up being a cheaply made turd, and the power switch broke within a week. I returned that one as well. I bought a claimed 700mW green laser ($1100) from Boblaser. The first one showed up broken. After paying to return it, I got one that didn't even come close to it's advertised output. Fortunately, when I called them on their lack of output, they refunded 70% of my purchase price, and I kept the laser. It peaks around 550mW, but drops quickly once it warms up. I also bought a claimed 300mW from MegaLasers in the UK. It ended up being more like 160mW average. Their customer service was better than most, however their products don't seem to live up to their claims. They claim to have a 300mW green pen pointer that runs on two AAA batteries. I don't think that is possible.

Anyhow, that's my experience so far with some of the more common companies. In the end, I think it's better to just have someone in here custom make one for you, if you can find someone willing. Many are great, some are too arrogant to deal with a "newbie". Good luck, maybe some of my mistakes will help prevent someone from doing the same.