Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

For those who Love Beer

SLPbum

K first off ill be first to admit Ive made some dumb mistakes in the past.
First off I got a dwi about 2 years ago. I blew a 0.39 got off kinda easy, fines,blow to start truck, probation... etc etc... Well I love beer.. I drink the good stuff.. perfer dark..ex:sam adams,shiner.... anyways, I got a second dwi while on probation for first.... ya DUMB like I said..
well I drank TWO beers on a (empty stomach) <<<wouldnt believe how much that effects it....
Got pulled over, blew a 0.08.. bam second dwi, well long story short, after lawyers, fines, ankle bracelet, donations...pretty much 22k later I got the second dropped.. Well I quit drinking.. for a while anyhow..
But now Im prepared...
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE OF THESE

Personal BAC Tester

so far, it has amazed me...
I even checked it against a friend of mines portable... he is TxDPS...
Same results every time.
Given that its made by the same company that supples them with theres, im not surprized by this... yet relieved too
well I hope someone, somewhere will learn from MY mistakes..

Thanks
RDCII

The $10 ones are accurate enough. Even if they weren't...

If you're to the point where you're unsure of your abilities and have to USE a BAC tester, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

If you're to the point where you're unsure of your abilities and have to USE a BAC tester, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

What about if you're 100% sure of your abilities but are concerned about the BAC level because of DUI checkpoints?

It's no great mystery that some people can drink more, and some people can drink less.

It's also important to remember that at the same exact BAC two different people will react differently.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate drunk driving... In fact I have gone to sleep in the back of my car instead of driving home on more than one occasion.

Problem is at .08 I don't feel the least bit buzzed.
At .15 I can still pass all sobriety tests with minimal effort, although I do have a light buzz, starts at ~.12.
At .2 I'm well buzzed.
At .25+ I'm very stumbly and crossing over into wasted territory.

Try telling that to a cop though. The system is based on the LOWEST common denominator, and a result even people who do drink responsibly also get screwed.

The BAC math is elementary, however it does not take into account MANY factors, and the general advice of 1 drink an hour is absolute crap unless you happen to be a 100lb 16 year old girl.

So actually having breathalyzer is really not a bad idea if you happen to drink socially with frequency.

Again... Not advising drunk driving, but I do think there is too much paranoia and self righteousness when it comes to the subject, and the fines and penalties for blowing a .09 instead of a .08 are just ridiculous.

Last edited:

SLPbum

Again... Not advising drunk driving, but I do think there is too much paranoia and self righteousness when it comes to the subject, and the fines and penalties for blowing a .09 instead of a .08 are just ridiculous.

Its very ridiculous,
Thanks for seeing what I mean
Its all about being SURE, Not bout getting smashed and driving at all. Two beers, empty stomach, in a certain time frame.. Most ppl are "legally drunk" yet dont feel one bit buzzed.
Not to mention the lifes I might have saved so far. You wouldnt believe how many ppl want to use it when I do go out. Had a couple come up the other night, He was drunk and wouldnt give her the keys. So she made him blow, once he saw what he really was, he didnt have a problem giving her the keys.

RDCII

What about if you're 100% sure of your abilities

You're a fool if you are 100% sure of your abilities when you've been drinking.

DUI checkpoints?

I've never heard of a DUI "checkpoint." Where I'm from, you can only be pulled over if you're doing something wrong. If you're drunk but drive perfectly, there's not much the cops can do.

Even so, how can you justify spending $100 on a tester when a $10 one works fine?

Last edited:
You're a fool if you are 100% sure of your abilities when you've been drinking.

You're approaching it as a yes/no situation, and it's really not. Of course I would be a fool if I tried to drive at above a .15 bac. At .1 I'm perfectly capable though, and still perform better than average in reflex tests.

I've never heard of a DUI "checkpoint." Where I'm from, you can only be pulled over if you're doing something wrong. If you're drunk but drive perfectly, there's not much the cops can do.

Consider yourself lucky. Not often, but every once in a while there are random check points where they basically block off all side streets for 5 blocks on a major road, and funnel everyone through a checkpoint. You have to roll down the window, cop practically jumps into the car and smells inside, if he smells booze you're going into a parking lot on the side to get breathalyzed.

Even so, how can you justify spending $100 on a tester when a $10 one works fine?

If you can point me to a $10 BAC tester that works accurately to within .005% I will gladly buy. There are cheap versions out there, I actually tested a couple of super cheap ones for shits and giggles, and those were completely unreliable. One was $40 from a retail gadget store, the other was very cheap from meritline.

DUI's can't be fun. I will not even have two beers and hop behind the wheel immediately any more. My friend is sitting 6 years for killing a sober man who blatantly blew a red light. We had all just left the bar and went our seperate ways. Me and the ol lady walked two blocks home. I found out two days later what happened when I couldn't get a hold of him the next morning. He blew a .084.

Asherz

I don't agree with drink driving regardless of your BAC. I don't think anyone has the right to put other peoples lives at risk just because you feel you can handle more drink than other people.

If you drink, don't drive a car, it's not difficult.

Ok, I don't agree with people picking up their cell phones when driving... tell me you've never done that....

Or how about fiddling with the radio, also distracting. GPS? What about having 3 friends in the car with you?

All are distractions that can potentially endanger other people's lives, so you're not gonna drive with anyone in the car from now on? Wait are you gonna also check the breaks before you drive EVERY TIME too? No more radio or cell either... and forget about that talking gps, I mean it could be using an old map and tell you to drive over a playground.

It comes down to doing things responsibly or not. Whether with alcohol or otherwise.

^To the same degree as making sure a laser is <5mW before you point it in someone's eyes.

Benm

Ok, I don't agree with people picking up their cell phones when driving... tell me you've never done that....

Or how about fiddling with the radio, also distracting. GPS? What about having 3 friends in the car with you?

One of the most common risk increasers in traffic is actually (even very mild) sleep deprivation. Its been demonstrated that driving after a night of less than six hours of sleep is as risky as driving with a BAC of about 1.0 when well rested.

As for the argument for nothing drinking a single drop when driving: I can understand why people would feel that way, but the legal limit is there for a reason, and its the threshold of virtually zero increase in risk of an accident.

Obviously these factors do add up - driving while sleep deprived, with 1.0 BAC, while talkng on the phone and mucking with the radio and/or gps would be a recipe for disaster, though i seriously doubt the alcohol would be main ingredient.