Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focusing while below threshold current

If I run the laser below threshold current, will I be able to get a good focus that will work while lasing? I'm putting a laser on a cnc setup, and I need as sharp a focus as possible, but I'm hesitant to try doing it while it's actually lasing.

Just put on your safety glasses and focus it while lasing, that's the only way I ever focus a laser.

Alan

Edit: just don't burn your fingers.

Last edited:
here's a tip... I use a piece of black anodized aluminium. The black anodizing holds up to the laser, especially if you keep it under 1W, and it cuts back on the back scatter a lot, with a pair of goggles on you can get the dot as sharp as possible that way.

If I run the laser below threshold current, will I be able to get a good focus that will work while lasing? I'm putting a laser on a cnc setup, and I need as sharp a focus as possible, but I'm hesitant to try doing it while it's actually lasing.

Yes, the focus will remain the same. If you focus it while under lasing threshold, same focus remains above it.

Let us know what you're making. CNC setup sounds great!