Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

focusing to infinity

hi i just got a blu ray and red laser in coleman max hosts (2 x cr2) and was wondering how to focus to infinity, also does anyone know where to get the focus thing on the end because i need another one

thanks

D

Deleted member 8382

Focusing to the infinite? Turn the focusing lens till its focused?

I can't understand the question at all

For the top part, you might ask members or buy a new module?

the focus to infinity is to have the smallest dot for long distances, because if its focused close then the dot at a distance is really big, and it seems quite big even if i focus it as small as it will go at a distance (red one focuses better for some reason), and the top bit, i took some photos

Attachments

• IMGP1793.JPG
    IMGP1793.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMGP1794.JPG
    IMGP1794.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 276

diachi

Just point the laser at something far away, turn the lens until you end up with a small dot at a long distance and that's it focused to infinity.

Yeah, certain things can be a bit of a bitch to find.

As far as "infinite" focus, that's just something you're going to have to toy with since it can differ based on how far in your diode is seated in the housing, et cetera. I've come across a number of easy recommendations that didn't work for some of my lasers but worked perfectly on others.

Just remember that you're never going to get a 0-dispersal beam. If you want the point to be narrow further away, it's going to be fairly wide close-up; likewise, if you want it to be narrow close-up (like for burning) it's going to be wide far away.

Just find a black, non-reflective (non-flammable) surface to work on your focusing and a distant (SAFE!) target (I use the wall of a self-storage facility a few blocks from my apartment -- I live in a largely industrial area with very little evening traffic). The easiest rule of thumb to follow is to do it where you and your beam won't be seen by others, that way you don't risk harming anyone or getting into any trouble. Start with the lense screwed all the way down and compare the point you get close-up with the distant point. Try and make mental notes of how far you have to unscrew the lense to get the focus you want so it'll be easy to reproduce in the future. Assign three focus settings: Distance (or "infinity") for star pointing, et aliqui; Middle, for general pointer duty that will give you a small point about 5-10 feet away; and Close, for burning, that will give you a tiny point at about 2-3 ft.

Remeber NEVER to point your laser at a window, a person, or any occupied vehicles. And always use safety goggles (made for protection from the specific wavelength of each laser) when you're using your laser up close.

thanks for the tips :) also do u know what the top focusy screw thing is called so i can another 1?

Black piece is the lens nut, chrome bit is the focus bezel, I have had success with bouncing the beam from a mirror, set as far away as practical, and back to somewhere near you. Don't forget that BR lasers screw with your eye sight which doesn't help.

Regards rog8811

blu ray laser diodes have different focusing needs. I believe that the meredith modules will allow the blu rays to focus to infinity, but the aixis modules don't have a long enough lens nut to allow it. I think that Jayrob's g-1 blu ray lens mod might also allow for it. Not too sure though, just keep searching the forum.

That's possibly one of those urban myths. At least in my case, I have no problem focusing a PHR in an Aixiz with the standard lens and focusing ring to infinity. There's about a half mm of space left.